Gibson Brands Forums

Luthier advise

jerryfuze

So My Brand New Les Paul went nuts last week with some strange noises at certain frets and it is been away being evaluated. It is coming back from the shop tomorrow.

Not sure if they fixed it. I will know tomorrow.

So, While my guitar was being looked at , I picked up a PRS SE ( used ) great guitar, and now it started doing the same thing as my Les Paul.

It was great for the past week.

Common Problem on Both:

Most distortion channels sound bad at certain frets on treble ( bridge pick up ) But above the 12th fret it plays nice on the Neck pick up.

Noise not as bad on Neck pick up.

Clean channels still sound excellent.

The PRS did not have this problem when I brought it home last week.

a day or so before, I used Dunlap 65 Lemon oil on the frets to clean them up. I might have done this when I first got it home too. I also used "Fast Fret" for my strings... Now I am getting these bad "overtones" on various frets. Sometimes its there, sometimes its not as bad.

I used the same oil and fast frets on my Les Paul but didn't think anything of it until this happened.. I know it is not my imagination. Has anyone experienced this ?

Preliminary report on my LP is that all the frets look good , nut , saddle, height , tuners, all look good. They may give it a crowning anyway. But it seems to be a mystery. Now this on My PRS... I keep it in the gig bag, I leave it out if I know I am going back to it. I live in Philly and the weather has been up and down, but not so dramatically that this would happen. I have tried it thru various methods with and with out head phones. The cats are in this room a lot and shed, but can't see anything on the guitar. So, the only common denominator I can find is the Lemon oil and Fret fast. ???? Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree. I read that Lemon oil could have a drying out effect

Does anyone use these products together ?

Thanks

Yeah, I agree...change strings first! See if that cures the problem.

You can also wipe down the strings, really well...see if that helps,

or cures the problem, even before changing to new strings. If it only

does it, at certain positions, on the neck, you may(?) have a fret or

even several frets "lifting," a bit...or, a humidity change, may have

bowed the neck slightly...just enough to cause that sensation, but not

enough to actually "Deaden or Fret out." In that case, a simple truss

rod adjustment, will (most likely) cure the problem. If you don't want,

or feel comfortable doing that, take it to a good luthier/repair place,

and have them "set it up," again. Humidity changes can drive one crazy,

that way, at times. Depending, on how sensitive the guitar is, wood and

finish wise. Also, using too much lemon oil, or even too often, can soften

the fingerboard wood, and cause loose frets, that will raise, as well. So...???

Good Luck!

CB

I use both lem oil and fast frets never had a problem that your describing.

In my oppinion if both guitars have the same problem I would put my money on your amp being the problem and not the guitars. It sounds odd I know but two guitars to have identical problems is like finding two needles in a haystack. Also if there was anything really wrong with your guitar that the luthier couldnt fix it they would give you a call so they have probably just performed a set up and tested the guitar.

I would move your amp to a new location and try it on different settings. if the clean is fine for both guitars then you need to fix the amps gain channel. if you didnt pay too much for it you can fix it yourself instructions below

1. First unplug the amp

2. Take it outside

2. get a hammer

4. you get where this is going

if its an expensive tube amp go get it serviced

I use both lem oil and fast frets never had a problem that your describing.

In my oppinion if both guitars have the same problem I would put my money on your amp being the problem and not the guitars. It sounds odd I know but two guitars to have identical problems is like finding two needles in a haystack. Also if there was anything really wrong with your guitar that the luthier couldnt fix it they would give you a call so they have probably just performed a set up and tested the guitar.

I would move your amp to a new location and try it on different settings. if the clean is fine for both guitars then you need to fix the amps gain channel. if you didnt pay too much for it you can fix it yourself instructions below

1. First unplug the amp

2. Take it outside

2. get a hammer

4. you get where this is going

if its an expensive tube amp go get it serviced

HAHA !!! Hey, I felt like doing that for about 3 seconds yesterday.

I was thinking maybe my amp was sending an electric charge back to my guitars and zapping them.. haha.. It was driving me nuts.

I have tried the guitars out directly thru my Zoom with headsets and thru my Ipad with Ampkit( not thru the amp ) and it is making that noise. I wish it were my amp, I can get a replacement under the extended warranty.

I am going to change the Strings anyway, so see what happens, but when my les paul started doing that, it was not to long after I broke the high E string and replaced it ( I Just remembered I also applied NUT SAUCE becuase the LP was not staying in Tune.. I also Used Nut Sauce on the PRS ) ? I know thousands of people use this stuff , so I doubt it is that..

OK, so either Too Much Lemon oil and Fret fast ... Or change in Temp / humidity levels

I really did wipe down these strings though.. So I am not sure.

The strings get the sound off the Frets , but could the Fret Wood cause any ill effect ? I know part of the tone comes from the make up of the Neck, but the actual string sound would not be effected , Unless the Frets were loosened , Is this correct ?

Archived