Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson j-45 and wm-45 finish

moonlander

Hi, i cant figure out whats the differences between the two guitars finish, i'm only talking about the natural ones, not sunburst. too hard to tell from pictures..

does one of them is glossed finish and other is satin? what about the neck is there any change in its finish?

what other differences are there?

thanks

The WM-45's came in both "all-gloss" and "gloss top/satin back and sides" models. I had an all gloss model which also had a gloss neck. The fingerboard and bridge were made of morado wood as opposed to rosewood on the J-45.

The WM-45's came in both "all-gloss" and "gloss top/satin back and sides" models. I had an all gloss model which also had a gloss neck. The fingerboard and bridge were made of morado wood as opposed to rosewood on the J-45.

ok thanks, so you're saying the top is always glossed in the wm-45. what about the j-45? same thing?

I also had a full gloss finish WM-45. Some other minor differences from a standard J45: > The sides of the peghead were straight (rather than having an inward bow), the tuners were gold Grovers, the bridge was not a reverse belly, the pickguard was a black teardrop, and the binding was black. The tone on a WM can be every bit as good as a J45 or J50, so they're definitely worth looking at if you're after the round shoulder sound.

Archived