Gibson Brands Forums

Elixirs made my Gibson sound like a Taylor

EuroAussie

In other words castrated the tone of my SWD.

Im in a bit of an experiment type mood, and was playing a number of rosewood Stonebridge guitars at my local dealer. They all come wiht Elixirs and thought that the Elixirs sounded actually quite good on the rosewood models, not so much on maple and mahogany, too harsh and bright.

So i bought a box of Elxir PB Nano 12's to try on my rosewood SWD. Ive been using Daddarion EXP's which im happy with but still like to see whats our there. Also, i remember a youtube clip of a guy playing a rosewood J-45 with Elixirs and it sounded amazing, very rich, great projection.

Put them on and was shocked just how much tone I lost with these strings. Literally 50% of that Gibby growl, depth, disappeared .... I though I was playing a Taylor 814.

Not to mention my fingers were slipping and sliding evrywhere because of the coating. Was trying to play a track that had a lot of pull offs on the low EA strings and couldnt do it as the finger would slip off before i made the pull off.

So, these strings went off in 30 mins, NEVER to be put back on again.

A new set of EXP's went back on and the world again is a happy place.

I know some of you will have a different experience (Im thinking of you Larry) but for me Im done and dusted with these string forever.

OK, rant over.

Thank you folks.

ps; anybody want a 30 min played in set of Elixirs for free ?? :-)

In other words castrated the tone of my SWD.

Im in a bit of an experiment type mood, and was playing a number of rosewood Stonebridge guitars at my local dealer. They all come wiht Elixirs and thought that the Elixirs sounded actually quite good on the rosewood models, not so much on maple and mahogany, too harsh and bright.

So i bought a box of Elxir PB Nano 12's to try on my rosewood SWD. Ive been using Daddarion EXP's which im happy with but still like to see whats our there. Also, i remember a youtube clip of a guy playing a rosewood J-45 with Elixirs and it sounded amazing, very rich, great projection.

Put them on and was shocked just how much tone I lost with these strings. Literally 50% of that Gibby growl, depth, disappeared .... I though I was playing a Taylor 814.

Not to mention my fingers were slipping and sliding evrywhere because of the coating. Was trying to play a track that had a lot of pull offs on the low EA strings and couldnt do it as the finger would slip off before i made the pull off.

So, these strings went off in 30 mins, NEVER to be put back on again.

A new set of EXP's went back on and the world again is a happy place.

I know some of you will have a different experience (Im thinking of you Larry) but for me Im done and dusted with these string forever.

OK, rant over.

Thank you folks.

ps; anybody want a 30 min played in set of Elixirs for free ?? :-)

all i play is elixer pbs. never had that problem or came across them sounding tinny or ever had my fingers slip off. you do know it usually takes about 2 days for elixers to settle in[more or less]. but all guitars are different.

Larry, the EXP's only go on my SWD as I need bright PB's to tame the rosewood chocolate.

But do try DR Sunbeam 13's on the SJ. Ive been playing mine now for about 3 hours this morning (our time) and cant get the grin off my face :-)

To each, his own! All that matters is what you like best. Just for you EA, I'll try a set of those EXP's on my SJ! [thumbup]

It takes a while, but I like Elixers on my SWD. They sound really bright when you first put them on, then they warm up. They are the only strings I've used on my guitar so far, though. Makes me wonder ....do I try EXP's? In fact, the guy who recommended I use Elixers is a Taylor owner...Hmmmm

EuroAussie,

I just can't get into coated strings of any kind. I don't care for either the sound or the feel. Lots of people love and swear by 'em.

I don't seem to have the caustic body chemistry that destroys strings (and wrist-watches) so I guess I'm lucky on that score. Strings seem to last quite a while for me. But even if they didn't... like you, I hear a diminished tone whenever I try coated strings, including the Elixirs.

I just bought a used 2002 Taylor Model "355" twelve-string that had a brand new set of Elixirs on it. I got the guitar to play a bit of Folk Music and acoustic Beatles, but I had to immediately change those coated strings to a set of D'Addario "EJ-38" Phosphor Bronze. Just a personal preference I guess, but there is something about coated strings......

When I bought that Taylor (last Monday) the store threw in a coated 12-String set of the Clear Coat brand which they were selling for almost $30.00. Someday I will try them, but right now, the D'Addarios are sounding and playing great.

To each his own, but I'm in total agreement with you on this one, I just can't do coated strings.

Jack6849

I definitely have a preferance for not coated strings however I use EXP's for a couple reasons.

Firstly, I need bright PB strings (dont like 80/20's) on my SWD to get over the rosewood wall and found Daddario EJ16's the most ideal for that.

The EXP's to me feel just like normal Daddarios but also have much longer life, and one thiing Ive learned is that rosewood and dull strings just dont match.

Thirdly, the tone is great, the SWD growl is right there and they feel great, have excellent grip, not so awfully slick like Elixers.

On all my mahogany guitars I use DR Sunbeams, but they are not bright enough for the SWD.

cheers.

EuroAussie,

I just can't get into coated strings of any kind. I don't care for either the sound or the feel. Lots of people love and swear by 'em.

I don't seem to have the caustic body chemistry that destroys strings (and wrist-watches) so I guess I'm lucky on that score. Strings seem to last quite a while for me. But even if they didn't... like you, I hear a diminished tone whenever I try coated strings, including the Elixirs.

I just bought a used 2002 Taylor Model "355" twelve-string that had a brand new set of Elixirs on it. I got the guitar to play a bit of Folk Music and acoustic Beatles, but I had to immediately change those coated strings to a set of D'Addario "EJ-38" Phosphor Bronze. Just a personal preference I guess, but there is something about coated strings......

When I bought that Taylor (last Monday) the store threw in a coated 12-String set of the Clear Coat brand which they were selling for almost $30.00. Someday I will try them, but right now, the D'Addarios are sounding and playing great.

To each his own, but I'm in total agreement with you on this one, I just can't do coated strings.

Jack6849

I just got my Dove from the luthier who did a set-up for me. He put on Elixir 12's as he did on my DIF and my Jubilee earlier.

I like them, and I really like how they've transformed all my acoustic guitars.

(the set-up, by the way, makes them all play like dreams!)

Although I would NEVER want my Gibson to soubd like a Taylor....lol.....I would give those strings a little more time. I find they take about 3 weeks to actually "break in" then, for me, they last a really long time.I've had one set on my gigging guitar for months and they still sound good!!! So give them a trial of one month and see how you like them....either play them every day or Tonerite themand see what you think!!!

Wiley, honestly, if i had to wait 3 weeks for a string to break in I would be in a madhouse by then :-)

No, Elixirs are gone from my list of considerations. The EXP's are actually just the ticket for me, so no need to experiment further.

Although I would NEVER want my Gibson to soubd like a Taylor....lol.....I would give those strings a little more time. I find they take about 3 weeks to actually "break in" then, for me, they last a really long time.I've had one set on my gigging guitar for months and they still sound good!!! So give them a trial of one month and see how you like them....either play them every day or Tonerite themand see what you think!!!

Archived