Gibson Brands Forums

Martin OMJM

I tried a used one hanging on the wall at a music store. I was surprised when I looked at the tag. The price was quite low but it sounded just as good as several much higher priced Martin OM/000 models on the wall (it's fun trying out guitars, isn't it?).

Is the neck thin? I can't recall. I do remember thinking holy crow this thing sounds better than my OM-21. I commented to the proprietor of Music Villa that it was one of the better buys in the shop.

I wasn't trying to put it down Acousticologist...that's not what I meant....I really want to congradulate you on a great guitar...John Mayer is great guitarist, and I've really mostly seen him play electric, and when I played it, I just had that feeling of an electric with the narrower nut and thinner profile. My hands are large and most of my guits have wider nuts and some baseball bat type necks, so by comparison, made it feel smaller in my hands....My friend has a gibby J-45 from 1963 that has a 1 5/8" nut and it is very difficult for me to play...so just mentioned it in comparison....it is a great sounding guitar though, and I hope you play the heck out of it!!!

skinny nec (low profile C shape i think)

1 11/16ths

On the smaller body guitars, I prefer smaller necks...

On the bigger bodies ( 45s, jumbos) i like the 1.725) and a little bit fatter...

Seems to work in my mind... and hands...

Archived