Gibson Brands Forums

What happened to this '60s Heritage ?

laocmo

Probably can't be a whole lotta help but based on the adjustable bridge in the one pic I take it the guitar is from the late 1960s - a '68 or '69. While I ain't no expert on that model, I believe the bridge plates were originally a heavy maple ply and the back and sides laminate.

Based on the pics I assume someone just rolled the bridge which is not uncommon because the ADJ bridges were not well thought of -it was believed the extra mass muted the top. The bolts being left make no sense though unless they are still keeping the bridge attached to the guitar.

It is interesting that the bolt holes were lined up with the pin holes. Seems like not the best odea as it might lead to cracking.

The guitar came with an adjustable bridge. They, for what ever reason, changed it. If you look at the adjustable bridge you will see that the bridge pins were very close to the back end of the bridge. The new bridge had a different pin placement so they did the right thing and plugged the old holes and drilled the new ones. It's pretty commom in this type of replacement. I'm puzzled as to why they trimmed two of the plugs and left the rest.

The guitar came with an adjustable bridge. They, for what ever reason, changed it. If you look at the adjustable bridge you will see that the bridge pins were very close to the back end of the bridge. The new bridge had a different pin placement so they did the right thing and plugged the old holes and drilled the new ones. It's pretty commom in this type of replacement. I'm puzzled as to why they trimmed two of the plugs and left the rest.

+1

Looks like you had a couple others with the same opinion over on AGF.

Here's a look at a better job - http://www.lutherie.net/B-25_bridge.html

I'm not sure I get the question. Obviously the bridge was changed, which is a common thing to do as the adj. principle, qua the screws that lift a metal strip under the saddle up'n'down, suffer from an indirect therefor not ideal contact with the top.

The bolts and zagged rings (excuse me, don't know what they are called in English) seen on the bridge plate, should have been removed during the operation. They are fairly heavy and inhibit the top-vibration.

I don't know if the original bridge was made of plast (the pic. is rather unsharp), but if it was, then replacing it with one of wood is also a good idea.

Beautiful Brazilian back on red !

Here is the results of covering that Gibson ugly bridge plate with a very very thin piece of maple. All I did probably won't make the sound much better to my old ears. But I'm a fanatic when it comes to ugly. Good thing I never found an old 1940 D-28, I'd never rest until I completely refinished it, made it look new, and ruined its value. Thanks for all the links, advice, etc.

post-2690-036324700 1304894423_thumb.jpg

Do you hear any difference - different wood/no bolts ?

I imagine I do, louder. But then I installed new PB Martin SP strings. So although it sounds louder, I'd guess it is hard to tell if it is the removal of all that mass of bolts, nuts, etc. or the strings. I can say I definitely didn't hurt the already wonderful old Gibson sound it had. It and my Dad's old '60s Country Western are the best sounding Gibson flattops I have played. A few years ago I owned a Gibson Montana new version Advanced Jumbo. The Heritage has its sound beat, that I'm sure of. And the AJ had a great sound, even when new.

Now if I can just keep my friends from talking me out of it, I might have a real keeper here.

Yes, those Marts. PB SPs are strong.

If you hear important differences when the strings fall, give us a call - Having removed a few bolts here on guitars I didn't know too well, I'm not really sure if that metal-issue is a myth. . .

Best to you and the gibbys. . .

Archived