Gibson Brands Forums

Sj200 vs L200

PhatFrank

Hi! After buying a LP R7 Goldtop recently I've been totally hung up on buying a proper Gibbo acoustic. The availability in stores here in Norway is a bit limited, but I fell in love with a L200 Emmylou the other day. Today a SJ200 was listed for sale here, but as it is a bit far to drive for a testing, I was wondering if anyone here has any views on the differences between the two? Any input is much appreciated:)

Hi! After buying a LP R7 Goldtop recently I've been totally hung up on buying a proper Gibbo acoustic. The availability in stores here in Norway is a bit limited, but I fell in love with a L200 Emmylou the other day. Today a SJ200 was listed for sale here, but as it is a bit far to drive for a testing, I was wondering if anyone here has any views on the differences between the two? Any input is much appreciated:)

I believe the L200 is the same, body-wise, as the J165s--smaller than the J200 but built to pack a punch. (I think I recall reading that the Emmylou L200 was the prototype for the J165.) I've heard it referred to as a "travel size" J200, but that's probably relative.

If I had any $$, I'd be looking at a smaller jumbo, too. I sure like how that size feels. Don't know if this helps much...:unsure:

For what it's worth, I think Emmylou plays a J-200 more often than an L-200.

She (still) plays a J-200 on stage. The L-200 was intended to replace the small-bodied Martin -- I don't remember exactly which model -- she was using for songwriting and, occasionally, recording.

-- Bob R

She (still) plays a J-200 on stage. The L-200 was intended to replace the small-bodied Martin -- I don't remember exactly which model -- she was using for songwriting and, occasionally, recording.

-- Bob R

This sure looks like the L200, judging from how much smaller it looks on her than her J200s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54cxG3lOS58

When I saw Robert Plant and the Band of Joy last fall, I could've sworn Patty Griffin played one a few times during the show. She plays a J200 on lots of her material, and I think I read that she travels with an L200. Which, I might add, is lovely in the 'burst.

Sigh...

For what its worth I find that when it comes to maple Gibsons they only sound good in the full J-200 body shape.

To me the CJ-165 and J-185 just miss the body shape to deliver the bass, warmth and depth that a J-200 delivers.

For what its worth I find that when it comes to maple Gibsons they only sound good in the full J-200 body shape.

To me the CJ-165 and J-185 just miss the body shape to deliver the bass, warmth and depth that a J-200 delivers.

I have a maple 165 and maple 185 and both sound good to me. They are different guitars from the 200 and have a characteristic sound of their own. I am particularly surprised to hear it claimed that the 185 doesn't sound good.

There is a new J-185 that arrived in my local guitar shop, its actually a very nice guitar, but compared to a J-200 I just really miss the bass thump, its a bit timid for my liking, but hey, each to his own I guess !

I have a maple 165 and maple 185 and both sound good to me. They are different guitars from the 200 and have a characteristic sound of their own. I am particularly surprised to hear it claimed that the 185 doesn't sound good.

This sure looks like the L200, judging from how much smaller it looks on her than her J200s.

Yep. And you can see how she might have a hard time reaching around a J-200 when she plays while sitting, given how she holds the guitar and her size.

-- Bob R

The J185 size body in maple can certainly deliver a very full, punchy, & even tone, but it will have it's own characteristics compared to the J200 body. On top of that, there will be great examples & dogs, just like with any model. And finally, playing style will factor into how well a guitar works for an individual. While I can understand the J185 not being everyone's cup of tea, for my particular fingerstyle of playing, they can be incredibly good. I once passed on a certain J185 because of the neck profile, and then felt almost haunted by the tone. Returning to play it over & over again, someone else thankfully bought it at some point & put me out of my misery!

The maple J-200, J-185, and J-165 (and it's long scale version L200) are large (17"), medium (16") and small (15") versions of the same shape with some variations in scale length. However the 200, maple 165 and L200 generally have 5 piece maple necks. The 185 has a mahogany neck. The combination of mahogany neck and maple body produces a distinct and rightly celebrated tone.

Yep. And you can see how she might have a hard time reaching around a J-200 when she plays while sitting, given how she holds the guitar and her size.

-- Bob R

And yet, she manages it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VcLBAwtTTc

(Known for letting her guitar guy (whose name, I kid you not, is Maple) keep her in tuned-up guitars, the first 1:40 or so includes Adventures in Tuning, plus a couple of sweet comments about Kate McGarrigle, for whom the song is titled.)

Thanks for many valuable thoughts! I've found an SJ200 in a store nearby that I'll have a look at this weekend - that should make for a good comparison. One last question; is a used SJ200 (not sure of the age, but it has quite a few but lovely looking battle scars) worth as much as a new L200? I know guitars age well, but I do like the idea of a brand spanking new Gibbo :unsure: Attached is a couple of pics of the guitar in question.

post-33098-051528500 1305055299_thumb.jpg

post-33098-026251200 1305055380_thumb.jpg

Archived