Gibson Brands Forums

Difference between SG standard & special

DKoor

Between these models ("regular" Gibson special and standard);

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-Standard/Specs.aspx

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-Special/Specs.aspx

...specifically in body (wood pieces, body thickness).

Other notable diffs too.

Thanks. [cool]

PS. I have that special and it's a killer guitar, however I naturally wonder what are (notable physical especially) diffs between that guitar and standard. I understand that sound is highly subjective matter, but I wont mind if anyone expresses his/her opinion regarding that issue either [thumbup].

The difference is mostly cosmetic as you can see. The STD has binding, trapezoid markers and mop inlays in the headstock, the Special - no binding, dot markers and silk screen headstock logo.

The body, neck and wood are the same.

The only real hardware diff is the bridge pup - the STD has a 498T chrome cover and the Special has a 490T uncovered.

So any differences in sound can be attributed to the bridge pups.

Ah, I'll certainly stick to my black SG then... been playin' it for two years now, I'm really attached to it... [wub]

One thing I noticed that I actually prefer over standard is baseball neck, it really is thick almost any el. guitar I tried had thinner neck (I understand however, that majority of players actually prefer thinner necks :mellow: ).

However I look forward to get myself a hardshell case for this baby...

Thanks mate! [smile]

For me, the neck binding alone is worth the price difference.

Have you ever tried having the fret ends properly dressed on one of your non-bound necks?

Usually makes quite the difference in feel, which is why some like the Gibson binding technique - nibs.

See, heres the thing:

If I pay Gibson prices (even faded special prices) I do not think it is unreasonable to expect properly finished frets from the get-go! That is the main reason I just couldnt buy a special. It would be like buying a $45000 Mercedes Benz and saving a grand by opting for a stick-shift or no air-con!

You are right, I absolutely love the binding with those nibs. I am going to be really reluctant to get it re-fretted if it means going back to a standard fret end (and I understand getting it re-done with the nibs intact or rebound is a major financial outlay.

Archived