Gibson Brands Forums

Getting started with a custom Les Paul

harleyboy

I recently spent a bunch of time researching the Fender Custom Shop process, offerings etc. I eventually narrowed down which custom built strat I wanted to get.

I am starting a similar process on the Les Paul. I am assuming that Les Pauls are similar to Fender in that there is a range of vintage years that everyone wants. In the fender world it went from 1954 to the pre-CBS days(mid - 60s). I narrowed my choice down to early 60s because it had a few more features that I wanted and the next was better suited to my hand.

My question is....what are the "killer" years that everyone wants a custom Les Paul built around. I am sure there is a pattern?

Any insight?

Also, does Gibson do true custom or masterbuilt like Fender? Can I pick a builder like Fender and have it built to spec?

Thanks

Mark

How does the Class 5 differ from the 1960 Standard. Is the main difference the quality of the curly maple top and the pick-ups?

Also, how would describe the difference in pick-ups? I more into blues and blues/rock sound.

How does a regular Standard on the Gibson site differ from a Standard in the custom shop. What are the main differences?

Thanks

Mark

How does the Class 5 differ from the 1960 Standard. Is the main difference the quality of the curly maple top and the pick-ups?

Also' date=' how would describe the difference in pick-ups? I more into blues and blues/rock sound.

How does a regular Standard on the Gibson site differ from a Standard in the custom shop. What are the main differences?

Thanks

Mark[/quote']

the 1960 reissue will have "historic" specs (like a non-weight relieved body, long neck tenon, holly head veneer, etc), whereas the Class 5 is just a standard production guitar, and will not have any of the above mentioned specs. the pickups are going to pretty similar, and i think either set would do for what you're talking about. to my ear, what's in the '60 (burstbucker 1 and 2) have are a bit hotter and a bit more mid-rangey compared to the burstbucker 2 and 3 in the Class 5.

Archived