Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Straps

So I don't think this has been discussed before but I'm wondering........

Do you have a few favorite guitar straps that you change from guitar to guitar or do you have designated straps bought to match particular guitars?

I myself have a few comfortable leather straps I use when I gig but none that were bought to only match with specific guitars.

I have a Reunion Blues wool strap that is awesome. Feels great and is easily adjustable and has a ton of room for adjustment, so if I want to put the guitar past my knees when I play, I can.

I bought a Franklin Strap, but I find the leather too sticky. However Souldier Straps are really cool, I'm probably going to get myself the Neil Young dove and peace strap when I get a job

I have a Reunion Blues wool strap that is awesome. Feels great and is easily adjustable and has a ton of room for adjustment, so if I want to put the guitar past my knees when I play, I can.

I bought a Franklin Strap, but I find the leather too sticky. However Souldier Straps are really cool, I'm probably going to get myself the Neil Young dove and peace strap when I get a job

I bought the Neil Young, Doves and Peace Strap, It is great. I have a strap on each guitar and usually leave them that way. Makes it easy to pick them up and play, plus not taking them on and off the guitar keeps the ends nice and tight on the pins.

I bought the Neil Young, Doves and Peace Strap, It is great. I have a strap on each guitar and usually leave them that way. Makes it easy to pick them up and play, plus not taking them on and off the guitar keeps the ends nice and tight on the pins.

I use Strap locks, and if I may ask, how do you transport them with the straps on in the case?

My favorite is a saddle skirting leather strap I made for myself ... uhhhh ... for the Guild S100c - the SG clone - when I first bought it in the 1970s.

That's very heavy leather so... for a 4-hour gig, I added a backpack strap pad that makes it very comfy. The strap's still in the case with the guitar and both come occasionally out to play.

Believe it or not, I still have my first woven "hippie" type strap that I got for my very first and now long, long gone guitar in '63. It's mostly used on a 1970s Ovation, one of the first A-E they made.

Then a batch of cheapie cotton straps and one or two cheapie nylon straps so each guitar has one in the case in case it's a matter of grab and go.

m

I have a dozen or more straps, sometimes two in the same case...but my favorites are the Couch straps. They're made from surplus car interior materials.

They tout that they're the green company, but that has nothing to do with my choice, I just think they're classy and comfortable and well-made.

homepageflat.jpg

I am 100% a Souldier strap user. The thinner straps are made from surplus seat belt material so they'll take a beating. The wide straps are very comfortable so I use them for larger and heavier guitars like my Sheraton and Taylor acoustic. I have always loved ornate straps so the designs fit me like a glove.

My only issue with the seat belt material is that it can be slick so I had my wife sew in a corduroy patch for my SG's strap to prevent neck dive.

075-PersianGold-Tapestry-2-copy.jpg

The red touches in this design match my Sunrise Orange SG well.

I have a strap for every guitar... If I don't buy it when I buy the guitar I probably bought it before buying the guitar LOL. All of them are color matched to the guitar they are going to... none of them are the same (or even the same model).

I have everything from leather to nylon and even a big chain. [thumbup]

I like a strap for each guitar. I may even have a strap fettish.

For one, I find that certain straps seem to go with certain guitars just on looks alone, either bringing out the color and the style. Usually when I would buy a guitar, I go and find the perfect strap for it.

For my solidbodies, how it plays and sits standing up is important, and while the strap is a cheap and simple devise, it makes a big difference. It seems that each guitar (even 2 strats) like slightly different heights. But that could be in my head. I also like different hieghts at different times depending on my mood, so most of my straps have extra holes on the rear so I can quickly change the height slightly.

For me, there is something about the perfect strap that brings it all together, and it is very dependant on the match of the guitar.

st_rule.jpg

LargePic.jpg

Best straps around IMO.....For me it's all about comfort and these fit the bill perfectly...And for 40$ how can't you go wrong??

...Got there wallet too..

size-matters.jpg lol

Ugh I want one of those straps, is it nice and padded? I have a standard Levy's nylon one right now and I find with my explorer after about an hour and a half of slinging the guitar it seems to build a pressure point on my shoulder that causes my left arm to go numb and make me think I am having a heart attack.

ne14t?

That's why I put the backpack strap pad on that thick, heavy leather I built for that solidbody Guild when I was gigging with it way back in the 1970s. You may wanna look at some of the backpacking suppliers, Cabellas, etc., and check the width and the width of your strap. It does make a difference.

The think I like about that extra heavy saddle skirting I used is that it's so thick that it works exceptionally well with the pad so you get a much broader pressure on the shoulder that is a lot easier on the body.

m

Archived