Gibson Brands Forums

Thank you American dollar

EuroAussie

My local shop in Prague is getting more Gibsons (oh dear) and Im starting to get bewildered by the pricing, theyve never been so affordable.

Brand new J-45 and J-185 standards are going for 1500 euro and a Songwriter Deluxe studio EC for 1600 euro.

http://kytary.cz/kytary/gibson/akusticke-kytary/

I'm assuming this is due to the strong Euro against the US dollar. Or maybe Czech crown against the Euro / Dollar as the prices are MUCH more competitive than at Thomann.

There will be some happy Gibson buyers in this neck of the woods.

Just hope that J-200 studio doesnt return or I'll be in real trouble ... [confused]

btw: Acousticologist, how are the Gibby prices in Australia ? I imagine they should drop as the Aussie dollar is going great guns against the US dollar ?

The prices are keen enough, EA. Very decent time to be in the market. The webshop price on the TV hummingbird is comparable with the Thomann price in my region.

My local shop in Prague is getting more Gibsons (oh dear) and Im starting to get bewildered by the pricing, theyve never been so affordable.

Brand new J-45 and J-185 standards are going for 1500 euro and a Songwriter Deluxe studio EC for 1600 euro.

http://kytary.cz/kyt...usticke-kytary/

I'm assuming this is due to the strong Euro against the US dollar. Or maybe Czech crown against the Euro / Dollar as the prices are MUCH more competitive than at Thomann.

Just hope that J-200 studio doesnt return or I'll be in real trouble ... [confused]

btw: Acousticologist, how are the Gibby prices in Australia ? I imagine they should drop as the Aussie dollar is going great guns against the US dollar ?

Yes, that's correct. The prices of the guitars which are not in store or warehouse in prague (I.e marked in green) seem to be same as thomann.

But the local ones are much lower, hence maybe its a czech crown vs euro thing ?

It was exactly 2000 euro, but I have 5% disocount with the guitar shop. God knows I deserve one from all the crowns that went behind their counter from my wallet over the years ...

Was that the rate for the Aaron Lewis? I would've guessed around the 2300-2500 mark. Nice score. Lovely sounding guitar man.

It was exactly 2000 euro, but I have 5% disocount with the guitar shop. God knows I deserve one from all the crowns that went behind their counter from my wallet over the years ...

Nice ;)

Unfortunately Mr. T doesn't offer such things and I'm sure he's driving a very nice car with a lot of my help...... :o

Im sure he is, but i remember reading an article with Henry Jeszkiewicz and he mentioned Thomann is one of his biggest cutomers, but also they have one of the lowest margins, but deliver through massive turnover.

Have to congratulate him on the showroom. When i visited them I though i landed in Guitar Disneyland. Planning a trip there again during the summer but Mrs Euroaussie is afraid of letting me go ... last time i was there I returned with the SWD [biggrin]

Nice ;)

Unfortunately Mr. T doesn't offer such things and I'm sure he's driving a very nice car with a lot of my help...... :o

Easy to knock a place of its size but I've had nothing but good experiences with them so I don't begrudge them any of their success. Stack 'em high and sell them low certainly works for me as a customer so more power to him.

I would imagine He would be one of Gibson's biggest customers, whatever ranges come out they usually have them, something that's certainly not true for some of the UK places I have used. His Gretsch pricing was a bit off a year or two ago compared to some places in the UK but overall I like using them.

I'd love to go to the showroom, but I'm sure the wife could think of nothing worse ;)

I mentioned the slight upcharge and it is purely a Hungary thing. No chance of Prague-like prices here, and Thomann can't deliver at the same price in every country. Still they did me a good deal relatively speaking and sent a great sounding Woody. I reckon it's the Crown more than the Euro, else Thomann would be undercutting EA's shop on the basis of economies of scale. Still no Woody listed... Have you played this 45 EA?

I mentioned the slight upcharge and it is purely a Hungary thing. No chance of Prague-like prices here, and Thomann can't deliver at the same price in every country. Still they did me a good deal relatively speaking and sent a great sounding Woody. I reckon it's the Crown more than the Euro, else Thomann would be undercutting EA's shop on the basis of economies of scale. Still no Woody listed... Have you played this 45 EA?

Yeah, most likely the case mojo, its the same from thomann with the UK, fair upcharge there, 100euro on some models.

Havent played the latest J-45 yet, but I hope it sounds like rubbish so i feel even better about my Aaron Lewis .. ;-)

http://kytary.cz/kytary/gibson/akusticke-kytary/

I paid 1800 for my Sheryl Crow, the Humminbird is about 2000, I've found J-50s and J-45s for about 1500 and the southern jumbo for 1600...I still remember the days when a Les Paul Custom costed something like 4000 euros, fortunately Gibson decided to sell guitars at the actual price you can find in the US.

the Cheryl crow model is a nice sounding guitar!! The Bluegrass Showcase in Nashville had an ebony finished one before the great flood.

A black one? I've never seen one, I hope that nice guitar didn't go in the ocean...and yes, the SC is a great guitar, I picked her up after playing many Gibsons and some Martins, she was the one with more projection and a sort of "open" sound.

I noticed this too! My Royal wedding 'collectable' newspapers I have been flogging on American ebay (and making up to $20 for a $1.50 newspaper msp_flapper.gif) havn't be making me as much £ as I thought.

Then I checked the exchange and yes!!! Guitars for us non Americans in Europe are ridiculously cheap again with the exchange! It is almost like the good old days when everything was half price :) :)

Matt

Bought some $$ last week in readiness for our visit to Florida & NC in July, and got $1.62 to the £. Great stuff.

Won't be looking (too hard) for geetars, although I know there's a Best Buy nearby, so there's plenty of temptation (not least from the iPads - as prices still seem to be about $ for £...)

Not sure I fancy trying to cart a shiny new guitar back on Virgin Atlantic. But I should probably check their policy BEFORE I go - purely in the interest of research, you understand.. [thumbup]

Ha, ha ... I should have done this check also when i made a trip to NYC last year, and suddenly found in my hands the Country Western, with its 40 year old case !

Suffice to say I was shittin' myself how Im going to get this back to Prague without being crushed into 3 pieces.

I think by miracle I managed to be able take it onboard and amazingly it fit in the overhead comparment, in its case. Wasnt charged any extra for it.

Boy, was I relieved when we finally landed in Prague and everything was in place .. :-)

Bought some $$ last week in readiness for our visit to Florida & NC in July, and got $1.62 to the £. Great stuff.

Won't be looking (too hard) for geetars, although I know there's a Best Buy nearby, so there's plenty of temptation (not least from the iPads - as prices still seem to be about $ for £...)

Not sure I fancy trying to cart a shiny new guitar back on Virgin Atlantic. But I should probably check their policy BEFORE I go - purely in the interest of research, you understand.. [thumbup]

Ha, ha ... I should have done this check also when i made a trip to NYC last year, and suddenly found in my hands the Country Western, with its 40 year old case !

Suffice to say I was shittin' myself how Im going to get this back to Prague without being crushed into 3 pieces.

I think by miracle I managed to be able take it onboard and amazingly it fit in the overhead comparment, in its case. Wasnt charged any extra for it.

Boy, was I relieved when we finally landed in Prague and everything was in place .. :-)

Good one. I checked their webby and it says if you have an instrument (in its case) that's bigger than their carry-on dimensions (which it would be) you can take it to the departure gate and they'll put it in the hold from there - rather than checking it in with your "normal" luggage. I suppose it's a bit better, but I'd still prefer to carry it on. Maybe I could smile nicely at the girlie on the check-in desk (a tricky manouveur while trying to dodge the clip round the ears from SWMBO)... ;)

Here in Canada there was always about 30-50% higher than MAP US dollar prices on Gibson acoustics.I have bought many from US and based on what I paid in US dollars,if I added up to 30%(covering duty,brokerage and dollar exchange)I still had usually saved $600-$1000 from Canadian final price(eg $2000 and 15% tax=$2300 fine') As the Canadian dollar is slightly higher in value than US currently,most Gibsons at the store I go to are priced darn close to US big box advertised prices,such as Sweetwater,GC,Musician's Friend. Trick now is to take the advantage of a strong Canabuck and find some deals from US dealers.I am not worried as warranty coverage here in Canada is abysmal,basically no matter what you say it's a set-up job or nothing.A good US dealer who cares that he's not selling wonky Gibsons,and hence gets the good ones(ie Fullers,Dave's, Wildwood,Music Zoo,even big box with good return policies offers me far more piece of mind than arguing with Yorkville Sound about guitar necksets.I just bought a beauty J-45 Legend as current currency value and dealer flexibility and desire to move stock made it a now or never kinda thing.

I just returned from my lunch time fiddle at the guitar shop and much to my amuzement they just put up around 12 new Taylors. From the 100 series to the 900 series. Luckily they also said that it doesnt mean Gibsons wont be there, but they will have both brands as part of their 'premium' offers.

The pricing of the top end Taylors amazed me, the 914ce was around $8000 after conversion !

It was funny, for the 2nd time round I prefered the 100/200 series more to the middle and high end Taylors.

Maybe its the laminate but they just have so much more zip and life then their high end brothers. The 600 series maple jumbo was just lifeless, quiet as a moust and priced more than a J-200 standard that was sitting above it.

I will be really curious if these high end Taylor guitars will move in what is a price sensitive market.

Archived