Gibson Brands Forums

How to put pointer Washers on a semi-hollow

BillyGibson

I have four extra pointer washers from when I put them

on my Les Paul. (They came 8 to a package). I want to

put the extras on my Sheraton

I've been noodling this around and can't come up with an answer.

Does anyone have an easy way to put them on without

the pot falling into the guitar when I remove the nut

that holds the pot in place?

Thanks.

Billy,

I don't have a Sheraton so, take this with a grain of salt.

What about a full hitch around the stem of the pot with some dental floss once the knob has been removed?

Tight fitting condensate tube?

I don't think I would use heat shrink tube as the heat gun would have to be used too close to the guitar!

Good luck...maybe others will come up with something better.

Willy

Try using fish airline tubing. Remove the knob, push the tubing over the stub. This will prevent the pot from disappearing into the body, you can then remove the nut, it will slip over the tubing. slip the pointer disk over the tubing, then replace the nut and remove the tubing.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/tonefreaks/40089-335-electronics-installation-k-how-take-years-off-your-life.html

scroll down till you see the picture of the tubing on the pots.

Good luck!

Try using fish airline tubing. Remove the knob, push the tubing over the stub. This will prevent the pot from disappearing into the body, you can then remove the nut, it will slip over the tubing. slip the pointer disk over the tubing, then replace the nut and remove the tubing.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/tonefreaks/40089-335-electronics-installation-k-how-take-years-off-your-life.html

scroll down till you see the picture of the tubing on the pots.

Good luck!

Thanks Guys.

Trewblue - that is an outstanding DIY thread. I'm off this week and will head on over to Wally World and get some. Thanks.

One more add-on: Before I pulled the knob, I stuck on a Post-It note to mark the 0 position so the pointer would be in the right place. After I put in the pointer washer, I tightened the nut almost - but not quite - all the way so I could move the pointer if need be. Then I turned the stem by hand to make sure the 0 points lined up before I tightened the nut the rest of the way and put the knob back on. Did it on a couple of guitars and it worked like a charm.

Easy way is strong nylon thread (for sewing, like cotton but stronger) tied around the base of the shaft. Keep the thread taut and you'll be OK- if you let the shaft drop into the guitar body you might need tweezers or surgical pliers to grip the shaft to re-align it to get it back through the hole.

I've had the electrics out of several semis & hollow-bodies and used the tubing method and the nylon thread method. Thread works fine.

Archived