Gibson Brands Forums

J200 headstock binding

ksdaddy

Lesson learned here, copy all your text before hitting submit, or else you might be typing it all over again. Grrrr.....

My '89 J200 has multiple layer headstock binding. It dates to 6/23/89. There is another '89 (10/30/89) on ebay right now with single layer headstock binding. Would it be a reasonable assumption that they made the transition sometime between June and October? Or is it typically random as per Gibson standard M.O.?

My 2000 has single layer binding on the headstock but I just assumed the switch was made sometime in the 11 year span, it just kinda surprised me to see an '89 with single layer.

Fred, you still have any pics of the '89 you had? Or anyone?

My '89:

j200b.jpg

The 'later' 89:

$(KGrHqEOKpgE25g+6C1qBNyEcGP0iw~~_3.JPG

.... My '89 J200 has multiple layer headstock binding. It dates to 6/23/89. There is another '89 (10/30/89) on ebay right now with single layer headstock binding. Would it be a reasonable assumption that they made the transition sometime between June and October? Or is it typically random as per Gibson standard M.O.? ....

I'd say yes.

I remember looking at j200s in the 90s and I recall the single layer on the headstock. I remember, because I was annoyed they had dropped the multilayer, but I didn't know when.

And there is Ryan's 90 with single layer - - - - BTW, nice pic Ryan.

Thanks BigKahune

Just out of curiosity. Is the double binding tied to the sunburst vs blond finish. Mine is a blond, KSdaddy's is a burst.

Ksdaddy, have you seen a pattern of Burst = double binding, Blond = single binding during the early Bozeman era?

My '89 J200 has multiple layer headstock binding. It dates to 6/23/89. There is another '89 (10/30/89) on ebay right now with single layer headstock binding. Would it be a reasonable assumption that they made the transition sometime between June and October? Or is it typically random as per Gibson standard M.O.?

My 2000 has single layer binding on the headstock but I just assumed the switch was made sometime in the 11 year span, it just kinda surprised me to see an '89 with single layer.

Fred, you still have any pics of the '89 you had? Or anyone?

]

Scott,

Here's the '89 J-100 I had:

89J-100Front.jpg

No binding on neck or headstock.

Fred

Scott,

Here's the '89 J-100 I had:

89J-100Front.jpg

No binding on neck or headstock.

Fred

Thats an awesome J-100!!!!

I think the J-100 as a model was not supposed to have any bind as the "deblinged" J-200 brother.

Brain fart. I thought Fred had an '89 J-200.

I'll be watching this nonsense now, just out of curiosity. They don't show up for sale all that often, maybe they didn't make a many as in later years. I've got a file folder somewhere with many J200 pics from when I went shopping for a Sycamore. I'll look in there and see if there are any from that era.

Dumb stuff like that piques my curiosity.

Archived