Gibson Brands Forums

My amp stand

ChanMan

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok I finished it last night:

Here is the latest of the featherweight category Atlas Stands…I'm calling it the "Prism" Atlas Amp Stand. It is Walnut and Cherry with a Danish Oil finish. Total weight is 6 pounds. It was an enjoyable build. I think if I used a lighter weight wood than cherry I could get it down to 5 pounds.

Build thread link: http://www.atlas-stands.com/index.php/forum/9-atlas-stand-build-threads/725-qprismq-low-rider-walnut-and-cherry#767

Prism2logo.jpg

Prism4logo.jpg

Prism5logo.jpg

Prism3logo.jpg

Photo1logo.jpg

Kind Regards,

Josh

Guest farnsbarns

Next up...a butternut low rider with spider web graphics. The Spined Micrathena will be the artist:) It should be pretty cool! This will be the third time we've asked the spiders to help:)

I remember the spiders web, it's up there ↑ somewhere, several pages back. Weirdly, I stumbled on to a thread by the owner somewhere else a while ago. Strange! Look forward to seeing another one.

Congrats to Dave Siverns, winner of the Free Atlas Amp Stand Contest with his picture of an amp stand made of legos! He landed 48 votes and 36.9% of the total submissions. He will be getting a free Atlas Amp Stand built to fit his Reason Bambino and also his Matchless Lightning Reverb.

John and I are planning the next giveaway as we speak!

Kind Regards,

Josh Childers

Atlas Amp Stands

entry--c.jpg

ps. spider web photo shoot tonight!!! woohoo!

Just finished building this Atlas Low Rider Amp Stand…It's made of solid Butternut timber that we felled two years ago in the field out back…it weighs next to nothing, it has a built in Table Top, and we harvested real spider webs from the woods out back for the graphics…I love the real spider web graphics.

This is the third spider stand we've built. It's for a Carol Ann.

Shoot7.jpg

Shoot2.jpg

Shoot8.jpg

Shoot3.jpg

Shoot1.jpg

Shoot4.jpg

Shoot5.jpg

Shoot6.jpg

Next up...a Red Oak Low Rider with Table Top, along with a Walnut Studio with a telescopic backrest.

Just finished building this Atlas Low Rider Amp Stand…It's made of solid Butternut timber that we felled two years ago in the field out back…it weighs next to nothing, it has a built in Table Top, and we harvested real spider webs from the woods out back for the graphics…I love the real spider web graphics.

This is the third spider stand we've built. It's for a Carol Ann.

Shoot7.jpg

Next up...a Red Oak Low Rider with Table Top, along with a Walnut Studio with a telescopic backrest.

Cool, how do you get the spider web transfered to the wood? Looks great! Might be nice on a guitar...

Hi farnsbarns, I may do it! Hope things in England are going well, lots of tourists this week I bet.

@ daveinspain - here's the technique: yes, it would be amazing on a guitar, that was the original intent before I started making amp stands, just never got around to it.

1 - remove the spider from the web making sure not to harm it. Sometimes they are finicky and will shake their webs to try to intimidate you. A stick works well to get the spider moved, just don't break the web or hurt the spider.

2 - Spray (soak) the web from both sides with spray paint.

3 - Immediately drape the already sanded wood through the web until it adheres to the wood, DO NOT BREAK OR RIP THE WEB FROM ITS ANCHOR POINTS YET!

4 - spray the web and the wood with poly, you will see the web sorta flatten to the wood due to a capillary effect.

5 - carefully with your free hand pull (snap) the web off where it is still attached to the building, branch, tree whatever.

6 - wrap the ends of the web around your piece of wood as desired.

7 - check yourself for ticks...and spiders:)

8 - apply several clear coats

9 - sand lightly with 320 gt

10 - apply final clear coat

Ta-Da!

• 2 weeks later...

This is the first Studio Atlas Stand to have a rack space. It is removable as well. This one kicked my ***.

3.jpg

4.jpg

2-1.jpg

1-1.jpg

Here is the build thread:

http://www.atlas-stands.com/index.php/forum/9-atlas-stand-build-threads/742-mather-amp-cabinet-studio-amp-stand-walnut-w-ultimate-attenuator-tray-under-the-seat

Now onto the next one, a 30.25 degree tilt Walnut Studio Angle Table Top to fit a Walnut Alessandro Italian guitar rig:)

Guest farnsbarns

Christ Josh, they just keep getting better! I like the extending top, is that suitable for a half stack? I'm sellung my half stack, just interested.

Christ Josh, they just keep getting better! I like the extending top, is that suitable for a half stack? I'm sellung my half stack, just interested.

Thanks farns, I'm trying to keep the evolution going with each build [thumbup]

Yes, the telescopic backrest would work with most half stacks, really just depends on the plug placement. I build around the gear, not the other way around, so if the plug is in a weird spot it is simply a great opportunity to build a stand to hold a cab with a speaker plug in a weird spot:)

I take a look at the specific gear and build the stand to fit it. It keeps it fresh too, nothing cookie cutter.

I have some good ideas on the table right now, looking forward to a "Prism" guitar stand to match a "prism" low rider in a week or so. There is a Red Oak Low rider rolling out in the next bit as well, it's gorgeous, pics to come soon. Wish it was mine because it matches my Ampeg in stain choice, but oh well...I'll eventually build one for my gear:)

[thumbup]

Very nice work with the spiderwebs what kind of spiders are those the webs are amazing and large. Here in Arizona most of our spiders are fairly small and poisonous so we usually leave them alone. I have one gorgeous black widow spiderweb up north just outside my studio at my cabin but I'm not sure I'd crawl under there and mess with it. Hey but If you ever come up with a project that need elk or deer poop I'm all set to help glad to send you some since they pretty much feel my garden is a Self Serve salad bar as it is, and the new fence just works to keep the rabbits out.

Very nice work with the spiderwebs what kind of spiders are those the webs are amazing and large. Here in Arizona most of our spiders are fairly small and poisonous so we usually leave them alone. I have one gorgeous black widow spiderweb up north just outside my studio at my cabin but I'm not sure I'd crawl under there and mess with it. Hey but If you ever come up with a project that need elk or deer poop I'm all set to help glad to send you some since they pretty much feel my garden is a Self Serve salad bar as it is, and the new fence just works to keep the rabbits out.

lol, we use horse poo here for our garden:) lol...and veggy compost mixed with some sawdust and peanut shells.

The last batch of webs I used upthread was from the "Spined Mircrathena" spiders. They are harmless to humans. Last year I used writing spiders, huge and mean looking but harmless as well. I had given up on them this year but just yesterday their egg sacks hatched. The whole side of my shop is crawling with them no bigger than a grain of sand! should be a good year for some huge super symmetrical webs! Stoked here, hoping someone wants 'em.

Kind Regards,

Josh

Archived