Gibson Brands Forums

My amp stand

ChanMan

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your stand looks fantastic but I have to ask you a question. This is just for your home or studio only? It does not sem to be portable at all yet you have made it so it folds. Where do you plan on using this very nice piece of furniture?

Thank you very much! I actually addressed the portability in a prior post :) While quite solidly built, it is a LOT lighter than it looks. In fact, it is no heavier, and perhaps a bit lighter, than my tubular metal stand. Couple that with the fact that it folds up and has a carrying strap, it is hugely portable. Looks great on stage, too, from the pictures I've seen :D!

This is just for your home or studio only? It does not sem to be portable at all

Some are for home or studio use, some are for gigging. Totally depends on what the owner,s needs are, then we decide on the best wood based on weight and go from there. That is why I end up using walnut so much for the ones that will be gigged; it is the lighter and stronger choice and over the years walnut darkens to almost a black color. Good question.

The ones I make for gigging are both lighter in weight and stronger than the tube metal stand. Chan's stand was an early one out of Ash, which is a bit on the heavy side compared to some timbers, but it is still as light as the metal ones. Atlas Stands (especially now that we moved to dado/lap joinery) can support several hundred pounds. I based the design around the construction of the XYZ axis beach obstacles the Germans used in Europe during WWII...the ones that look like huge metal jacks that kids play with. The tube metal stands usually top out at being able to support 80-120 pounds in most instances. My AC30 weighs more than 80 pounds, which is one reason why I started making these. I owned several the metal stands over the years and didn't like any f them, especially when I had to bring them into my home or studio.

Atlas Stands that are built for gigging take just as much abuse as the metal ones, and after they are all dented and scuffed they can also be refinished to look new again and again. If the ever do need a repair it can be done with a clamp and some cheap wood glue making them even stronger than before.

Looks can be deceiving. As stated above, they come with strap buttons so they can be carried over a shoulder using a guitar strap. Doesn't get more portable than that.

Lighter

Stronger

Repairable

Won't Rust

Highly Modifiable

Customizable options:

Adjustable Backrests Panel

Attached Fold Out Pedal Boards

Removable Fold Out Pedal Boards

Adjustable Cooling Fans

Cable Tethers

Full Spindle Axles

Inlays

Matching Guitar Stands

Amp Builder Chassis Stands

Real Spider Web Graphics

Logos

Scroll Saw Deco

Back-lit Plexiglass Designs

Adjustable Backrest

Monograms

Banding

Dovetail Joinery

Studio Angle Table Tops

Baffles

Reflective Sound Ports

LED Lights

Double Rack Spaces

Multiple Wood Types

Special Stains and Dyes

Exotic Woods

Folding Guitar Stands

Ventilated Rack Cabinets

Telescopic Backrests

Featherweight Construction

These blow the metal stands and what they have to offer totally away, hands down. They are built to last lifetimes and be handed down through generations, and with each new one made the design improves a bit more [thumbup] Working on the first ever featherweight/prism guitar stand next week for the winner of last months giveaway contest:)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Rabs Vista

Yes Sir, there is a quote form now, I just got it working like 3 days ago [smile]

http://www.atlas-stands.com/index.php/buy-now-page/request-a-quote

Every project is unique so there is no set labor/materials involved.

Kind Regards,

Josh

Sorry to wander off topic Josh but is that form made with Fabrik? If so, you can use the JavaScript plugins to hide certain options until they become relevant by other selections, or to hide certain options after they are rendered irrelevant by a certain selection. Of course, this can be done either way but there is some easy tools to do it in Fabrik.

Guest Rabs Vista

Hi Rabs, no Sir, it is not Fabrik, but you are still correct. Still got the training wheels on here:)

OK. BTW, it's Farnsbarns.I changed my name during a silly drunken windup and now I have to put up with it for 90 days. That'll learn me!

Walnut and Mahogany... The winner of last month's photo contest is getting this one. i'm finding that these "Prism" designs are not only lighter in weight, they're also super easy to handle because the holes make handles all over the place.

Here's the build thread...he won with an amp stand made out of legos!

http://www.atlas-stands.com/index.php/forum/9-atlas-stand-build-threads/823-reason-bambino-matchless-lightning-reverb-prism-low-rider-with-matching-guitar-stand-walnut-and-mahogany

sivernspage1.jpg

sivernspage2.jpg

sivernspage3.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

ok...so this one took me a month to build, but well worth it IMO.

http://www.atlas-stands.com/index.php/forum/9-atlas-stand-build-threads/859-tone-king-metropolitan-walnut-low-rider-with-guitar-stand

It is the first Atlas Low Rider to have a removable and adjustable guitar stand to fit inside the amp stand. Black walnut, 14.5 degree tilt. The Amp Stand weighs ten and the guitar stand weighs six. The knobs on the side hold the guitar stand in position and the guitar stand cradle arms slide left and right to fit any size guitar. The cradle arms also spin on a cam that adjusts their height to fit asymmetrical body shapes such as a strat.

kendrickpage1.jpg

KendrickPage2.jpg

Kendrickpage3.jpg

Kendrickpage4.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

This is a newer design, I call it the "Micro" because it is so lightweight. It reminds me a bit of an Audi or a Porsche. This particular one is made of reclaimed American Chestnut…

Weight - 5.5 lbs

http://www.atlas-stands.com/index.php/forum/9-atlas-stand-build-threads/877-marshall-jcm-1-atlas-stand-wormy-chestnut-micro-stand

joe_page1.jpg

joe_page2.jpg

joe_page3.jpg

joe_page4.jpg

joe_page5.jpg

Ok so I have officially retired the metal stand. I traded the Blues Jr. in on a new half stack, and put the SS Eden amp on the Atlas stand. I've played through this Eden amp pretty much daily for a very long time and am very familiar with how it sounds in various places in the room. I know where the sweet spot is, and how it sounds at that sweet spot. This amp has been sitting on that metal amp stand. I know there was an imediate difference in the sound quality when I put the Blues Jr. on the Atlas stand, but i was not prepared for the vast difference in the Eden amp once it was on the Atlas stand. It's a SS amp, and I use a pedal board, so what I hear is pretty consistant, and the sound was now far warmer than before. And I mean it was cold and sterile before by comparison. There is also a much wider area that can be considered "in the sweet spot". It was fairly focused with the other stand, and easy to lean out of the spot. Overall, no matter where I stand in the room, it sounds better. It's a pretty amazing difference, I have to say!

Thanks for building such an awesome stand Josh.... ever thought about a half stack stand?

Ok so I have officially retired the metal stand. I traded the Blues Jr. in on a new half stack, and put the SS Eden amp on the Atlas stand. I've played through this Eden amp pretty much daily for a very long time and am very familiar with how it sounds in various places in the room. I know where the sweet spot is, and how it sounds at that sweet spot. This amp has been sitting on that metal amp stand. I know there was an imediate difference in the sound quality when I put the Blues Jr. on the Atlas stand, but i was not prepared for the vast difference in the Eden amp once it was on the Atlas stand. It's a SS amp, and I use a pedal board, so what I hear is pretty consistant, and the sound was now far warmer than before. And I mean it was cold and sterile before by comparison. There is also a much wider area that can be considered "in the sweet spot". It was fairly focused with the other stand, and easy to lean out of the spot. Overall, no matter where I stand in the room, it sounds better. It's a pretty amazing difference, I have to say!

Thanks for building such an awesome stand Josh.... ever thought about a half stack stand?

As beautiful as these stands are, these shameless plugs are getting rather obvious.

Dude, are you getting kick backs on these babies or what?

Nice bump nonetheless.

But hey,, granted,, they are beautiful... just getting a little obvious is all.

No harm done

Cheers.

YW Sir ChanMan, half stack stand, not a problem, probably a "Low Rider" at a shallow 10-12 degree tilt with a "Table Top" to match for the head to rest upon. I am grateful for any feedback I can get from users, so thank you again. I can tell when a stand is going to sound good, when I start sanding it with the orbital they can really start singing like a crystal glass. This singing phenomenon has become even more noticeable now that I've moved from the simple butt joints you have to lap joints that loosely resemble the neck pockets on guitars, 6 times stronger and built to last 100 years longer. I'm still coming up with revisions and improvements with every build. :blink:

Mahogany is in the bench next, it's the coolest timber I've worked with, no wonder it is used so much in guitars, it sounds amazing even when all I'm doing is sanding on it.

Very happy to provide the feedback!

I've got a YJM, so maybe a lazy susan thing for the table top?

Just so you'll know Quap, I promised an honest review once I'd had a chance to really A/B it against the metal stand. If you read the thread, there were folks asking for specific info, which I can now provide. If you don't have one, I can understand why you don't really get why those of us who do have them gush about how awesome they are. Mine truly makes a remarkable difference in the tone.

Thanks, tho, for being cool about how you approached it :D

• 3 weeks later...

More parts to this one:)

http://www.atlas-stands.com/index.php/forum/9-atlas-stand-build-threads/868-bad-cat-amps-hot-cat-30-2x12-combo-solid-mahogany-atlas-stands-low-rider-w-table-top-3-guitar-stands

Hollowaypage1.jpg

Hollowaypage2.jpg

Hollowaypage4.jpg

Hollowaypage3.jpg

Vitals:

Solid Mahogany

Closures - Ball Socket Tention

Seat Width - 16 ¾"

Seat Depth - 12"

Backrest Width - 19"

Backrest Height - 12"

Lift - 4 3/4"

Tilt - 15 ½ deg.

Weight - Base Unit w/ Hidden Guitar Stand - 15 Lbs. 0 oz.

Table Top - 4 Lbs. 4 oz.

Pedal Board - 2 Lbs. 12 oz.

Solo Guitar Stands - 2 Lbs. / 2 Lbs. 12 oz.

Amp - Bad Cat… Hot Cat 30 2x12

Guitars - LP Custom 57 and Jackson.

Archived