Gibson Brands Forums

problem with my "57 bridge pickup

Johnbee

I have a frustrating issue with my '61 reissie SG. Occasionally the bridge pickup will go silent or be faintly audible. It has happened twice in the past month. The neck PU works fine. I called a store and the guy there said SG's can have this problem in the bridge PU position and said it's usually a switch problem. I'm asking here because since the problem doesn't happen that often. The one place I took it to said it would be difficult to locate the problem if they can't reproduce it. he opened the cavity and moved a piece of stray wire from a soldered connection he felt was too close to touching another wire. Too early to tell if that's all it was. I'm taking it somewhere else next week but I'm curious if anybody has had this issue and what it ended up being. If the PU was bad would it work 95% of the time? thanks

thanks for your reply. Are you saying that at some point if I had one of the volumes all the way down it could have thrown the other off? The last time it happened both volumes were at 10. I was on the neck PU doing rhythm and moved to the bridge PU for the lead and viola no sound. but the volumes were both up.

On a lot of Gibby's, if you have the volume of one of the pups rolled all the way down, the other will not work. If you aren't aware of this it seem like the wiring is doing weird things.

But only if both pickups are selected.

I say not to say it is, but just something to be aware of. Many intermittent switch problems that seem to go away magically are to blame for that.

But, switch problems have always been somewhat of an issue I think. If it is no longer happening, it may never happen again.

Getting super technical, the way the switchcraft switch is made is that it will not wear to the point of the contacts going bad, so they don't get worse with age. When they do wear, the switch itself will jump back to the mid position and not stay well flipped up or down. So, in other words, putting wear on the switch will not cause it to have worse connections. And, putting a little cleaner into it could help. they need it sometimes because they don't have a wiping action that keeps them clean by themselves. But, a dirty older switch will not be more unreliable than a dirty newer switch.

I HAVE seen at one point years ago wear some switches didn't have that good of QC where the contacts, which are the springs, were not built too straight, or damaged from being thrown in a drawer, that didn't work at all.

I have a frustrating issue with my '61 reissie SG. Occasionally the bridge pickup will go silent or be faintly audible. It has happened twice in the past month. The neck PU works fine. I called a store and the guy there said SG's can have this problem in the bridge PU position and said it's usually a switch problem. I'm asking here because since the problem doesn't happen that often. The one place I took it to said it would be difficult to locate the problem if they can't reproduce it. he opened the cavity and moved a piece of stray wire from a soldered connection he felt was too close to touching another wire. Too early to tell if that's all it was. I'm taking it somewhere else next week but I'm curious if anybody has had this issue and what it ended up being. If the PU was bad would it work 95% of the time? thanks

Sometimes it is just a dirty volume pot. Next time it happens try tapping on the volume knob or changing the setting on the knob. If this is it just pop the knob off and use contact cleaner.

An intermittant problen like this needs sorting or you ll soon have no confidence it it otherwise for gigs etc. But its also probably simple and cheap to fix. You dont say how old it is but it sounds like a loose wire or faulty swich. Take it to a tech and get him to have a look - get the switch replaced in any case - they dont cost much.

Archived