Gibson Brands Forums

Nashville Tuning

abbeyroadman

Hi -

Just saw a great video cover of "Wild Horses" played in "Nashville Tuning". I'm tempted to buy a used DR Masterbilt and convert it to a "Nashville Tuning' set-up. Has anyone used the "Nashville" style on your Masterbilt, and if so, what's your experience and thoughts?

Regards,

Have not tried it though I have experimented by removing the bass strings from a 12-string guitar.

Definitely a different sound. I think you may run into intonation problems and maybe neck relief problems

when trying to alter a conventional six string due to the tension differences in the octave strings.

These new guitars are getting good reviews.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NashECMceNT/reviews

Yeah, same as above - I like removing the lowest three octave strings from a 12 string. You can get a good thumping bass but still have the nice shimmering highs of a 12 string.

I have messed around with Nashville tuning but not on an Epi - on an old Harmony Sovereign. I took the easy (but not necessarily the cheapest) route and just strung the thing with the octave set out of a 12 string pack.

Diverden and Zombywoof -

Thanks for the information, advice and link. I did see and read the Sweetwater reviews before - the ready-made guitars seem a more sensible and practical solution rather than trying to convert an existing Masterbilt, or any guitar.

Since my first post, I've listened several times to Tom Petty's "Free Fallin", featuring one guitar with a Nashville set-up; also learned that Pat Metheny uses a Nashville set-up almost exclusively on his album "One Quiet Night".

I've found myself becoming increasingly intrigued by the sound and variation that I've more or less convinced myself that I "need" a Nashville set-up guitar when I'm in the mood for something alternative.

Regards,

Archived