Gibson Brands Forums

S G Standard Question??

Dallastx

Hi all! Last week I bought guitar number 7 a 2011 S G Standard. The tone and payability is outstanding. I do have a question. I purchased the guitar at a large retailer that I have used many times before. After getting it home I noticed a few imperfections in the guitar. On the side of the headstock it looks like the nitro had blead some what or that part may not have been buffed completely. Also the pickguard surface after I removed the plastic protection layer looks like something had lightly drilled over the top. I tried polishing compound and it's deeper than I can remove. It's not a big deal. Just wondering if they sold me a blem at full price or if that is the nature of a mostly hand made USA Gibson. Thanks in advance.

Dallas.

or if that is the nature of a mostly hand made USA Gibson.

No its not. Gibson has had some Quality control issues over the years and over the last couple, the QC has greatly improved, but this was never an excuse for accepting sub standad quality. Gibson Guitars cost a lot of money and if they are of poor quality they need taking back to the store and get replaced ASAP. If u bought a chinese made fridge freezer which had something wrong, you would nt think twice about returning it would you.

I would definately go back to where you bought it and talk to them about it. Without pictures of the blemishes is it hard to comment but I will say I have noticed a lot of poorly finished Gibsons in my local shop lately and you may find that yours is no worse than any of the others in the store.

Issues like this come up all the time on these forums.

Unless you received the guitar in the sealed factory box, the staff/customers at the store did something - put on the wall and played by customers, or a return to stock from a returned purchase.

And even if you received the guitar in the sealed factory box, the Gibson Warranty will not cover finish issues of any kind for any reason - http://www2.gibson.com/Support/WarrantyRegistration/Gibson-USA-Guitar/Warranty.aspx - see exclusion 10.

So take it back for an exchange or your money.

Thanks everyone!I think I can handle the few small issues because of the tone is soo sweet! As much as I play, I'm sure it will get dings and the like anyway. I have a highly modded Epi Les Paul, and some Fenders. This thing sounds better than any of them.

D

Last week I bought... a 2011 S G Standard. The tone and payability is outstanding. I do have a question...the pickguard surface after I removed the plastic protection layer looks like something had lightly drilled over the top. I tried polishing compound and it's deeper than I can remove.

Dallastx, Hi! I also have a 2011 Gibson SG Standard. No blemishes at all. However, I noticed, as you will with any black pick guard, once you take the protective

layer off it gets scrape marks from your pick quite easily and shows it as compared with the part of the pick guard that's not affected.

Archived