Gibson Brands Forums

greatest guitar solo ever...

S t e v e

These "polls" are always based on rock...ever hear of jazz? As good as these guys are (and they are very good) there are a number of jazz players who would leave them in the dust..I would go so far as to say there are players in Nashville bagging groceries to pay the rent who would blow the doors off most rockers.

Put a jazz player in front of a metal crowd, and you would either get crickets or a riot (or vice-versa)..... Just because one is a jazz musician doesn't mean it's the pinnacle. None of the Beatles were / are "jazz musicians." But I'll put them up against any jazz hound in terms of musicianship.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Put a jazz player in front of a metal crowd, and you would either get crickets or a riot (or vice-versa)..... Just because one is a jazz musician doesn't mean it's the pinnacle. None of the Beatles were / are "jazz musicians." But I'll put them up against any jazz hound in terms of musicianship.

You'd be surprised, put a jazz band in front of metal heads and they will listen. Metalheads are more versatile then you think.

These "polls" are always based on rock...ever hear of jazz? As good as these guys are (and they are very good) there are a number of jazz players who would leave them in the dust..I would go so far as to say there are players in Nashville bagging groceries to pay the rent who would blow the doors off most rockers.

I believe that. I know it.

Got that in a lot of places.

You'd be surprised, put a jazz band in front of metal heads and they will listen. Metalheads are more versatile then you think.

Not when it comes to pure jazz.... trust me I grew up around them (metal heads) and I played in a Jazz Band playing trumpet [biggrin] .... They may appreciate it, but don't have the attention span to watch more than 10 minutes of it.

Not when it comes to pure jazz.... trust me I grew up around them (metal heads) and I played in a Jazz Band playing trumpet [biggrin] .... They may appreciate it, but don't have the attention span to watch more than 10 minutes of it.

ten secs of that stuff is enough for me [rolleyes]

ten secs of that stuff is enough for me [rolleyes]

Inspite of your weird-o-ness (and I mean that in the nicest way) [biggrin] . You would have fit in great during the late 70's to the mid 80's on the sunset strip

Actually, Jazz music is in a lot of ways the pinnacle. The music form involves having far more abilities and knowledge than other forms.

Being a jazz musician doesn't mean you are a better musician, and you don't HAVE to be great to play it, but those that do have many things to learn that aren't needed for all forms, and it is also true that deep knowledge as well as abilities actually get a place to be used to the fullest, as opposed to just being an advantage in some forms.

And, the best soloist I have seen or heard have been Jazz soloist, by a very, very long way.

I think that most jazz players can play rock and do it well, few rockers could play jazz and do it equally as well as jazz players do...I say this from experience, I was a rock drummer and a dam good one. As a percussionist I was given a scholarship to college where I was introduced to jazz and had the honor of playing with some of the best jazz artist of that era (1970s) who made me realize just how challenging jazz is....true the market for jazz is limited....it is not uncommon for jazz artist to end up playing pop and rock and even country music to stay alive.

I love rock, I enjoyed watching the video, my favorite band ever is the Beatles, I have attended more rock concert then jazz concerts, but I still believe that jazz is much more challenging to play then rock.

Jazz composition is much more intricate then rock..just one example is time signatures, most rock drummers would be left drooling in a corner if they tried to keep up with the average jazz drummer.

As good as Keith Moon was as a rock drummer, Buddy Rich, Louis Bellson and Elvin Jones would play circles around him, Lionel Hampton at age 75 could smoke the best rock drummers...

To be clear, many of the top rock artist are closet jazz artist, because of the challenge...

I think a lot of great rock players eventually will listen to jazz or classical music. Randy Rhoads studied classical music every chance he had. Neil Peart got heavily into Buddy Rich and even to this day is "learning" from jazz drummers.

I started as a classical pianist turned into a jazz pianist. It's really not fair to try to compare anything to rock. I wouldn't even try. All I know are two things: 1) studying different kinds of music makes you a better player, and 2) name me one shredder who wouldn't be impressed with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb5_DEhmDAM&feature=related

I think a lot of great rock players eventually will listen to jazz or classical music. Randy Rhoads studied classical music every chance he had. Neil Peart got heavily into Buddy Rich and even to this day is "learning" from jazz drummers.

I started as a classical pianist turned into a jazz pianist. It's really not fair to try to compare anything to rock. I wouldn't even try. All I know are two things: 1) studying different kinds of music makes you a better player, and 2) name me one shredder who wouldn't be impressed with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb5_DEhmDAM&feature=related

Dog checks his nuts at :25.

LP could really play, that's the truth.

Les is an underrated player. The guitar name is bigger than the man. So whenever someone mentions Les Paul they think of the guitar. We have to remember ( as in Elvis' case etc) that it hadn't been done before. Les was a groundbreaker. He shouldn't just be remembered for his name on the guitar. It's his other stuff that has changed music more. Overdubbing etc.

That's the 'young 'uns' homework for today. Read about the man.

Archived