Gibson Brands Forums

New To The Steinberger World

macman

Hi Everyone;

I am new to the Steinberger guitar world. A good friend of mine owns one and several other guitars as well and he totally swears by his Steinberger. I had a chance to play a Steinberger GT-Pro Deluxe recently and could not put it down. It is an AWESOME guitar. I started looking on YouTube and seeing players like Brian Aspey, Alan Holdsworth, Vinny Zummo (who layed down some amazing jazz licks on his Synapse) and others played Steinbegers. Now I want every model of Steinbergers; older ones and newer ones... it does not matter. I am surely a Steinberger convert. I will be getting my first (the GT-Pro Deluxe) in June and the the Standard, both Synapse's and ZT-3 soon afterwards.

In doing research I also saw a Hohner G3T and was totally unaware that there was another headless guitar manufacturer (see; I'm really brand new; but learning). Tell me about the Hohner G3T in relation to the Steinberger.... I love Steinbergers but is the Hohner a good choice as well to add to my Steinbergers?

Thanks much,

Future Steinberger owner & collector.

Tony (macman)

In doing research I also saw a Hohner G3T and was totally unaware that there was another headless guitar manufacturer (see; I'm really brand new; but learning). Tell me about the Hohner G3T in relation to the Steinberger.... I love Steinbergers but is the Hohner a good choice as well to add to my Steinbergers?

Hi Tony,

the Hohner guitars are at least on the same level as the Steinberger Spirit line, maybe better in some details. They are all made in the same factory, and they share the R-Trem (just the saddles are different). However, the Synapse and the ZT3 are on a different level.

Bernd

Hi Tony,

the Hohner guitars are at least on the same level as the Steinberger Spirit line, maybe better in some details. They are all made in the same factory, and they share the R-Trem (just the saddles are different). However, the Synapse and the ZT3 are on a different level.

Bernd

Very cool; that's great to know.... thx Bernd.

• 3 months later...

There are many headless guitars out there. You can also check out the Erlewine Laser, they are custom built small headless guitar favored by Blues legend Jonny Winter. Another company "Hondo" made them in the 80's but even those units which were considered lower quality versions of the customs are getting expensive now. I had one and my X-wife sold it one me. I am still looking for that guitar. I guess maybe that is why I am going with a new spirit and new pickups. I wish I had the money for a higher end instrument but I am hopeful the spirit with some nice Dimarzio's, SD

or EMG's actives might be exactly what I am looking for. I would love an older GL or even one of the other Spirits with the full body. Gotta keep my eyes out in the buy and sell.

Are you getting a black one or a white one?

I want a white one as the black just all blends together and you cannot see any of the details.

Are you swapping pickups also?

There are many headless guitars out there. You can also check out the Erlewine Laser, they are custom built small headless guitar favored by Blues legend Jonny Winter. Another company "Hondo" made them in the 80's but even those units which were considered lower quality versions of the customs are getting expensive now. I had one and my X-wife sold it one me. I am still looking for that guitar. I guess maybe that is why I am going with a new spirit and new pickups. I wish I had the money for a higher end instrument but I am hopeful the spirit with some nice Dimarzio's, SD

or EMG's actives might be exactly what I am looking for. I would love an older GL or even one of the other Spirits with the full body. Gotta keep my eyes out in the buy and sell.

Are you getting a black one or a white one?

I want a white one as the black just all blends together and you cannot see any of the details.

Are you swapping pickups also?

Hey there;

I'm getting the white one. Just bought it off of ebay and will have it today. Still deciding on swapping the pups. Will play it this weekend on a gig and decide. I will check those builders out. thx.

Hey there;

I'm getting the white one. Just bought it off of ebay and will have it today. Still deciding on swapping the pups. Will play it this weekend on a gig and decide. I will check those builders out. thx.

Well let us know what you think of it. Hope you didn't pay too much used as you can get them for $400 new.

Another month or two and I will have a white one on the way also.

Well let us know what you think of it. Hope you didn't pay too much used as you can get them for $400 new.

Another month or two and I will have a white one on the way also.

Hi,

No; actually the price was not bad at all... $287.00 including shipping and gig bag. It is in great condition. Played it at Church today. Not only did it sound and play great; it blew most of the people's minds because of the size and shape. I will swap the pups out though (still not sure which ones). That is it ion my profile pict. I'm sold on steinberger/headless guitars now. [biggrin] The only guitars I want now with a headstock is a hollowbody (and I have seen a headless hollowbody) and an acoustic. I already have a Parker PM-24V and an Ibanez RG-220 and my GT-Pro will be my main axe. I'm looking to get a Steinberger GT-Pro Standard and a luthier here in Detroit, MI is interested in making me a custom headless.

thx.

macman

Hi,

No; actually the price was not bad at all... $287.00 including shipping and gig bag. It is in great condition. Played it at Church today. Not only did it sound and play great; it blew most of the people's minds because of the size and shape. I will swap the pups out though (still not sure which ones). That is it ion my profile pict. I'm sold on steinberger/headless guitars now. [biggrin] The only guitars I want now with a headstock is a hollowbody (and I have seen a headless hollowbody) and an acoustic. I already have a Parker PM-24V and an Ibanez RG-220 and my GT-Pro will be my main axe. I'm looking to get a Steinberger GT-Pro Standard and a luthier here in Detroit, MI is interested in making me a custom headless.

thx.

macman

that sounds like a good deal and leaves you some coin to get new pups if you want. Cool about the custom post some pics when you get a chance. There is companies out there that sell replacement composite necks for the older steinys you could use it for your custom if needed. They are a rare guitar so people take a second look when they see them. Glad you enjoy it so much....I am still looking for a good one. I might buy new but if I get a good deal used, I might just go with that.

What do you think, are you going to change out the stock pickups?

You can get string adapters for those guitars on eBay and other places that allow you to use normal strings..not sure if I mentioned it or if your guitar already has one.

• 1 month later...

that sounds like a good deal and leaves you some coin to get new pups if you want. Cool about the custom post some pics when you get a chance. There is companies out there that sell replacement composite necks for the older steinys you could use it for your custom if needed. They are a rare guitar so people take a second look when they see them. Glad you enjoy it so much....I am still looking for a good one. I might buy new but if I get a good deal used, I might just go with that.

What do you think, are you going to change out the stock pickups?

You can get string adapters for those guitars on eBay and other places that allow you to use normal strings..not sure if I mentioned it or if your guitar already has one.

Hey there; sorry for the delay.... Well after doing some research I have decided to go with the EMG OC1-B, N and SC1-M as my pups for my GT-Pro. These pups sounds pretty hot and have received quite a few good reviews. I'm looking to pick up another GT-Pro very soon in black and may go with the same pups choice. However; if I get the GT-Pro Standard I will put a single coil sized humbucker in the neck position. Have not decided as of yet.

Macman

R.I.P. Steve Jobs

Archived