Gibson Brands Forums

Storing guitars on there side in cases, question?

Gibson101

I usually store my guitars in cases standing up, however I need to have a a couple of them laying on there sides for a while, is this ok? I guess since the case is built with feet on the bottom to put the case either on it's side or back it can't be too bad. I'm just wondering your thoughts for long term storage this way. Will it be ok for the neck? Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

I've 'stored' old Gibsons + newer models for nearly 40 years in their cases on their side + laying flat on their back + occasionally standing upright (like in a closet). Honestly, the 'upright' thing is by far the rarest for me. In my case 'for awhile' = ten to fifteen years at a stretch. I do take 'em out and play 'em plus keep a bit of an eye on humidity etc. but the guitar doesn't care how the case is positioned unless you stand it on it's head for a long time. Not sure that would even be a problem. I do not store 'em 'face down', just seems wrong.

I don't have a full-time guitar tech available.

Orientation of storage should make no difference to the guitar. If stored head up or on it's side, just make sure it cannot fall over, such as in a rack. If stored on it's back, make sure nothing can be stored on top of it, such as on a shelf just tall enough to fit the case.

Archived