Gibson Brands Forums

The feel of a LP Custom vs a LP Special

alans056

Hello everyone.

I have a Epi Les Paul Custom which I love. Great strong feel.

I am planning on getting a LP Special TV Yellow with the P90s.

What differences in the all around "feel" of the guitar vs the Custom am I to expect?

Thanks !!!

PS: not talking about tone diffences!

Ones an archtop, one aint, ones got humbuckers, one dont, one will be a feather weight, the other will weigh a ton. One will be plain, the other will have tons of bling, one will sound twangy, the other will have a fuller sound, one will suffer from 60 cycle hum, the other wont so much.

I gots each in the Gibby, I might expect the Epi to be the same or close.

With the LP, the carved top and the angle of the neck kinda makes the guitar feel more centered on the strings, almost like the body ain't there. The bridge and tailpiece provide a great anchor for the hand, the neck angle is easy of the left hand.

With the special, even though you have mostly the same thing, with the flatter body you are able to feel more of the guitar. While you still play it exactly the same, more of your right hand touches the wood of the body and it kinda feels more solid. The neck angle is straighter too, with contributes to more of a solid feel.

Generally, it feels more like the solid slab it is, but between the two, I would not say either one is played any different or makes your technique any different.

Ones an archtop, one aint, ones got humbuckers, one dont, one will be a feather weight, the other will weigh a ton. One will be plain, the other will have tons of bling, one will sound twangy, the other will have a fuller sound, one will suffer from 60 cycle hum, the other wont so much.

???

None of them are archtop

I have both and as far as playing feel, I don't feel like there is any real significant difference. The neck profiles are very similar. The Special is lighter, of course, as has been mentioned, but I don't find it more or less comfortable otherwise.

The P90s have more bite and twang, but the can still hang for almost any style. Bridge pickup clean can ape some Tele tones with the right tweaking. Throw on some distortion and the bridge and you get a nasty buzzaw that really cuts through without being overly harsh. Put the neck pickup with the tone rolled back through a clean amp and it's nice and creamy, but not as thick as a humbucker Paul.

Archived