Gibson Brands Forums

brand on brand

hardmodskin

Just curious about the string preferences out there. Do you have a brand you use religiously? Is it anyone's preference to Only use Gibson-made strings on Gibson instruments? I always used Gibson brand strings (the J-200 pack) until the shop I frequented stopped carrying them. I have flitted from brand to brand since. Recently tried the Red brand strings but didn't care for them.

I use DR Sunbeams on all my guitars with the exception of the SWD where I use Daddario EXP PB's for the extra brightness and longevity to balance the rosewood chocolate.

As said before I did follow your DR Sunbeam advice and think they are good - especially on the old SJs. How come you chose the blue Sunbeams over the green Rares ?

I just just ordered some 11 and 12 Rares to find out myself. . .

Martin SP 12s work good on my J-45 Standard -

I didnt find the Rares added anything to be honest. It was sort of a nice, passive tone. The Sunbeams for me have three advantages.

1) They have a lovelly warm tone right from the start reminiscent of Gibson Masterbuilts, and infact hit their 'sweetspot' after some 5-10 hours of playing. I gave them to a 30 year playing veteran and he commented they have a lovelly 'chiming' quality to them, which I agree.

2) They last longer than any uncoated strings Ive tried.

3) They are more flexible than other strings and as since I use 13's on the CW and SJ makes bending and lead work easier.

Put those three things together and for me its a winning combination

As said before I did follow your DR Sunbeam advice and think they are good - especially on the old SJs. How come you chose the blue Sunbeams over the green Rares ?

I just just ordered some 11 and 12 Rares to find out myself. . .

Martin SP 12s work good on my J-45 Standard -

I too am a DR Sunbeam fan. It's the round core (as opposed to hex core) that lightens the tension and, I think, contributes to the warmer tone right out of the box. And they do seem to hang on to good tone longer than many other brands.

I'm pretty much a D'Addario guy, too. I use whatever gauge seems most suited to the particular guitar and generally prefer phosphor bronze. The GHS true mediums work well on some instruments where neither medium or light seems exactly right. I think D'Addario makes a set with the same gauges as the GHS but I haven't tried those (couldn't find them last time I stocked up). I've never been a huge string tinkerer on guitar. When I find something that works, I stick with it. I was always more experimental with mandolin, partly because different styles of mandolin (e.g., bowlback, flat-back, carved back) can sound hugely different from one another and are designed for very different strings.

Like most players, I've flitted around a lot on strings over the years. I've come back to Gibson Masterbuilt 12's on my 1948 J-45, and they really fit the instrument's inherent sound well. I've come full circle: I now use Gibson Vintage Reissues on my ES 335's, and Martin Clapton's Choice on my 000-28 EC. Doesn't take a lot of imagination to make these choices, but they work well on these particular guitars.

And other stings other guitars, such as my ES 335 -12 (Gibson doesn't make strings for 12-string electrics), classical guitars, etc.

I've heard that one or two string manufacturers make ALL the strings in the USA, including Martin and Gibson....I don't think it really matters what brand we choose...it's like gasoline, one refinery makes the gas for all brands. Brand loyalty makes no sense here. There are some interesting string manufacturers in England, namely Newtones and others that have some interesting technology.

I've heard that one or two string manufacturers make ALL the strings in the USA, including Martin and Gibson....I don't think it really matters what brand we choose...it's like gasoline, one refinery makes the gas for all brands. Brand loyalty makes no sense here. There are some interesting string manufacturers in England, namely Newtones and others that have some interesting technology.

I use Rotosound strings on my Rickenbacker. Love them. U.K. made. I have never tried their acoustic strings yet. I need to.

D'Addario EJ-17s. They're great strings, very even from set to set. Every now and then I'll try a different brand of string on my J-45, but I've always come back to EJ-17s.
Same here on dreadnaughts. EJ-16s on my LG-2. Played with many other strings years ago inc. Martin, DR, a bunch. The D'Ads sound great on guitars that I've kept for lengthy periods and think in my case some of the string switching was me trying to like a guitar that just wasn't for me. Not saying strings don't make a difference, they do, just that I quit switching around quite some time ago. I'd rather mess with picks I guess and even there I got about 100 of the ones I like.

In all honesty I don't think I've had Gibson strings on any flattop in perhaps 30 years, probably more. Nothing against Gibson strings, guess I just settled on something else way back & my eye hasn't focused on 'em like it does Gibson guitars.

I have been a fan of the DR Rares .12 -.54's myself and have them on a couple guitars, I read something about Martin 4150's .125 - .55 and since I had been thinking of throwing some .13's on my J-45 I figured I would try these. So far I am really liking them, they seem to have woken the beast in my J-45 RW and yet still feel just as easy to play. A nice compromise. [thumbup]

I've heard that one or two string manufacturers make ALL the strings in the USA, including Martin and Gibson....

BINGO... you are the winner.

Gibson does not manufacture strings, or tuning machines, or knobs, or potentiometers, or switches, or tailpieces, or bridges, etc... Gibson "assembles" guitars, just like GM assembles cars. They contract the manufacture of the parts, and then assemble them into a "product". This is the way your oven is made, your car is made, your TV is made, your computer is made, AND your guitar. Economically it can be no other way.

If you want to do the research, you can find the manufacturers. I can pretty much tell you who made the parts for most of the "classic" Gibson and Fender guitars, but I won't, because I would be black-balled by these two MFG's.

So you either send me a PM, OR GIBSON CAN SEND ME A CHECK!!!!!!!

When I don't care what they cost, Thomastik-Infeld, hands down. When I'm budget-minded I go D'Addarios. (or when I buy a box of strings, which I usually do) Right now everything has Thomastik.

I may have to try these Sunbeams, seems like they're a strong preference!!

I USED to go strictly Martin Marquis until they took the string manufacturing out of Nazareth and sent it to Mexico.

I use DR Sunbeams on all my guitars with the exception of the SWD where I use Daddario EXP PB's for the extra brightness and longevity to balance the rosewood chocolate.

EA, do you use the pack that has the 56-13, called medium-heavy I think? I plan on trying the Sunbeams but like the 56/13 combo for my J45.

Yes, thats exactly right. 56-13's.

Just be careful to follow the instruction and not cut them until tuned to pitch, and do not stretch them.

EA, do you use the pack that has the 56-13, called medium-heavy I think? I plan on trying the Sunbeams but like the 56/13 combo for my J45.

Hmmm...that's interesting about not cutting them till tuned to pitch. I always cut my strings before threading it through the tuning post. I just measure by extending the string up to the next post, then trim about 1/4 inch after that, and they string up real pretty with similar numbers of wraps(or rather proportional to string size). Does anyone else do it like this?

Archived