Gibson Brands Forums

Interesting guitar design #1

onewilyfool

Getting away from the "Ugly Guitar series.....lol...(maybe by popular demand) I'm going to start a new series of interesting acoustic guitar deign features I've been collecting on-line...UNFORTUNATELY...I don't have the actual luthiers just pics. I will post names where I can...Here is the first one....an interesting headstock. Very narrow.....two good design features note the tuners are "off-set" from each other. I think this is good, because symetrical placement of the holes (as done normally), would actually be the weaker solution (from a structural POV) and although probably not a big deal, I just like the concept and am always intrigued by assymetry. Secondly, the narrow headstock actually enables the strings to run completely perpendicular to the nut and the string slots.Easier to tune, and less wear and tear on the string slots than if the strings enter the slot at an angle as normally done. All in all.....a nice design!Luthier or guitar's name evident!

20U-11946_headstock-front.jpg

20U-11946_headstock-back.jpg

Finding out a new series is now up and runnin' makes me burst in sheer joy - even have to try out a LOL here. I'm very pleased you're once again on the rails and will follow things closely.

A bit of a shame we have to imagine the rest of the guitar.

Full Steam !

I want to thank you for your UGLY GUITAR series. It was cool. I liked it. Like a lot of things, we just took it for granted, and also, I think you just ran out of the best materiel.

You can do another one when you save up more truly pitiful examples, or just run it again in the future. It is worth syndication.

New show: yea, I like the concept as well. I could see where it would work, but it would have to be done on a guitar that it would seem to go well with. After all, looks do matter to a point.

I want to thank you for your UGLY GUITAR series. It was cool. I liked it. Like a lot of things, we just took it for granted, and also, I think you just ran out of the best materiel.

Stein....Oh, I have LOTS of more "uglies" but just thought it was best to retire that one....it was fun, now on to these interesting acoustic features.....

Here is the whole guitar, interesting bridge, access panel,and Kasha bracing system (similar to the "M" guitars by Gibson ...

http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/20U-11946.htm

It is interesting from a design perspective. Not really TOO weird, but doesn't really look too appealing.

But, I must admit it makes me look forward to the next one. Makes kinda more open to maybe some new concepts?

By the way, the headstock design with a laminate faceplate and back plate is VERY strong according to my Luthier friend. Acts like a plywood, and the Rosewood Grain in that direction really helps protect against headstock cracks at the neck......just another interesting feature....

Archived