Gibson Brands Forums

New York or Los Angeles

heymisterk

When I move out to Colorado, you gotta visit me. All the seasons without the high humidity. I hate humidity.

I love snow though, so seriously though, you're gonna have to come visit [biggrin]

Nah, I think everyone from California spends way too much money on pedals

i like snow but not your king of snow

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reason I chose those two cities in particular was because they are such contrasting lifestyles and climates. Chicago, in my experience, is much more like New York. Yeah, if I could choose, I would take San Francisco or - my favorite - Portland, OR.

The reason I chose those two cities in particular was because they are such contrasting lifestyles and climates. Chicago, in my experience, is much more like New York. Yeah, if I could choose, I would take San Francisco or - my favorite - Portland, OR.

Why one of those 2 places?

When I move out to Colorado, you gotta visit me. All the seasons without the high humidity. I hate humidity.

I love snow though, so seriously though, you're gonna have to come visit [biggrin]

Nah, I think everyone from California spends way too much money on pedals

haha I don't even have clothes for the snow or cold weather. The warmest clothes I have are a regular hoodie and jeans.

My friend tells me that Colorado is really nice. I've heard a lot of good things about it. From what I've seen their weed is pretty shwaggy though.

Haha come on. I like pedals man all my pedals cost about as much as a guitar it's not so bad.

haha I don't even have clothes for the snow or cold weather. The warmest clothes I have are a regular hoodie and jeans.

My friend tells me that Colorado is really nice. I've heard a lot of good things about it. From what I've seen their weed is pretty shwaggy though.

Haha come on. I like pedals man all my pedals cost about as much as a guitar it's not so bad.

Unless it drops well below freezing, I wear shorts and a hoodie through winter, man the **** up.

I don't smoke, but my friends out there I know said its pretty good though.

I'm downsizing my rig man, I think I'm gonna get a tremolo, an OD and maybe something else, and then I'm done (well, I'm thinking about getting a Ceriatone 18 W Marshall clone with trem...)

I have travelled pretty much everywhere in the United States (hell the world) and as said there are many truly great cities and places to live (I say cities because I truly dislike rural life) if it wasn't for runaway costs San Francisco is one of my favorites paces with Rome, Paris and Montreal all on the list but to live there is insane unless your extremely wealthy. New York is a great city as mentioned above, Chicago is a really beautiful and fun city sadly run by really stupid people. Which makes it extremely hard to live there, I know that as a fact, I have lived there on and off for a couple years. Watching the brain trust that runs Chicago deal with the heavy snow this last year, made me decide to sell and leave Chicago so the sale on our loft closes on June 6th.

All in all - there's a lot of great places to live, but for me I love Phoenix, I love the winters and the clean desert sky that is a brilliant blue year round. Summers are tough though so it's nice to bail out in July, August and even September and I miss some cold weather that's why we just bought a loft in Downtown Denver and in September I'll find out about an offer I made on a place in the Upcountry mountains of Maui which is truly heaven. so I guess everywhere has it's ups and downs.

As for those arguing about the size of Chicago even with all the suburbs and surrounding cities Chicago is still almost 2 million short of New York and Chicago as a city is much smaller than NY if you leave downtown Chicago it quickly loses all sense of the big city and turns in mile after mile of bleak suburbia which it would be truly hard to say anything very nice about at all.

Unless it drops well below freezing, I wear shorts and a hoodie through winter, man the **** up.

I don't smoke, but my friends out there I know said its pretty good though.

I'm downsizing my rig man, I think I'm gonna get a tremolo, an OD and maybe something else, and then I'm done (well, I'm thinking about getting a Ceriatone 18 W Marshall clone with trem...)

I'm just not used to it. It doesn't get very cold here. Like 40 degrees is cold to me.

I'll downsize my setup once I find the essentials for me. Until then, I'm just experimenting with lots of stuff.

I'm just not used to it. It doesn't get very cold here. Like 40 degrees is cold to me.

You should come visit when we drop below the 0 degree mark... I love cold weather, I'd much rather be cold than hot.

Yeah I say that all the time about cold being better than the heat. But honestly, I've never REALLY been cold.

The coldest I've ever been was when I worked at Target and I had to grab some stuff out of the big freezer in the back. Damn it's cold in that thing..

Heat is the main reason I hate Chicago I live in Phoenix you would think I would be used to the heat but for some reason every single building in Chicago is heated to sauna temperature all winter as soon as you go inside the oppressive heat hits you I usually just wear a hoody and a leather jacket over a t-shirt even when it's single digit temps so that I can start stripping off clothing as soon as I get inside. It was so damn hot in restaurants that I couldn't even enjoy dinner it got to be where I would only ask for tables next to windows not so I could enjoy the view, but so that I could lean against the cold glass in a effort to survive, and forget about the damn hotels I couldn't even sleep without opening a window even when it was in the teens.

As for humidity well let's just say there's a reason why people always say Phoeinx is a dry heat. I'll take 115 with 20% humidity any day over 90 degrees and 90% humidity.

I could easily live in Chicago. The public transport is top notch, but the homeless issue is out of control. It could just be that I was staying in a nice hotel, so all the pan-handlers would swoop in on us every time we would come or go, but it left me with the impression that 2/3 of the population of Chicago is homeless. Other than that, I love Wrigley field, but hate the Bears and the Bulls. A lot of people I went to college with moved to Chicago.

From the point of view of someone not from the US, and I just came back form visiting both places...

LA.... the people were more friendly, the weather was better, nice beaches, hot women, legal pot...

New York... err...yeah, you can keep it... [thumbdn]

From the point of view of someone not from the US, and I just came back form visiting both places...

LA.... the people were more friendly, the weather was better, nice beaches, hot women, legal pot...

New York... err...yeah, you can keep it... [thumbdn]

[thumbup] plus everything is more spendy in NYC...housing is way spendy...

People who believe that that everyone from California is some blonde, tan, rich asshole talking on their cellphone in line at starbucks… they watch too much TV & don’t get around much. I agree with whoever raised that point. LA and NYC both have the ******bags in a bad way. In LA they wear cheesy sunglasses and fancy jeans/tshirts (!), while in NYC there are hordes of hipsters and suits. It's a tie there. LA doesn’t freeze to death, and you aren’t forced into cramped living (my house is on a mountainside with a huge, amazing cactus garden -- I’m told the tallest yucca in N. America is in my yard) and tons of secluded elbowroom ... right on Rte. 66 ... in the city. I have rehearsals in my garage. My wife and I live 10 minutes from our jobs. That’s a fool’s fantasy in NYC. Cost of living is far lower in LA, too.

LA is sprawled out, true, so you determine the neighborhood you want to hang out in and you live in it. I have no desire to spend time in Hollywood or the valley so I don’t live there. At the same time, LA’s giant footprint contains a freakin amazing variety of diverse neighborhoods, each with their own distinct identity and vibe. My wife takes the Metro to work, her dad takes his bicycle to work, most of my coworkers take the bus (I just like riding my motorcycle, me)… frankly, I think some people just accept commuting as a way of life, which is pathetic and disgusting to me personally. We all have our El Guapos.

Somebody mentioned San Diego – if you’re not Shamu or USMC, there’s not much to do there. SF people are so self-righteous and extremely judgmental that it’s pretty much the Bizarro Bible Belt. I don’t want to be in yuppie hell either. Chicago, I’ve spent time there too – can’t take the Midwestern accent, even a hint of it, and the Great Lakes winters… no way.

Plus, you can’t turn your head in my hood Los Angeles without seeing a cool-as-fug old car or Satanic Mexican metalhead teenager. The high school checkout girl at the grocery store had a Testament wristband on, told me she was dying to finish her shift so she could go to their signing at Amoeba. Huh? Yeah, Amoeba, where I just picked up the triple album special edition of Motorhead’s Ace of Spades in red/yellow/black colored vinyl a la the German flag. Speaking of Germany, then there’s Charles Bukowski…

People who believe that that everyone from California is some blonde, tan, rich asshole talking on their cellphone in line at starbucks… they watch too much TV & don’t get around much. I agree with whoever raised that point. LA and NYC both have the ******bags in a bad way. In LA they wear cheesy sunglasses and fancy jeans/tshirts (!), while in NYC there are hordes of hipsters and suits. It's a tie there. LA doesn’t freeze to death, and you aren’t forced into cramped living (my house is on a mountainside with a huge, amazing cactus garden -- I’m told the tallest yucca in N. America is in my yard) and tons of secluded elbowroom ... right on Rte. 66 ... in the city. I have rehearsals in my garage. My wife and I live 10 minutes from our jobs. That’s a fool’s fantasy in NYC. Cost of living is far lower in LA, too.

LA is sprawled out, true, so you determine the neighborhood you want to hang out in and you live in it. I have no desire to spend time in Hollywood or the valley so I don’t live there. At the same time, LA’s giant footprint contains a freakin amazing variety of diverse neighborhoods, each with their own distinct identity and vibe. My wife takes the Metro to work, her dad takes his bicycle to work, most of my coworkers take the bus (I just like riding my motorcycle, me)… frankly, I think some people just accept commuting as a way of life, which is pathetic and disgusting to me personally. We all have our El Guapos.

Somebody mentioned San Diego – if you’re not Shamu or USMC, there’s not much to do there. SF people are so self-righteous and extremely judgmental that it’s pretty much the Bizarro Bible Belt. I don’t want to be in yuppie hell either. Chicago, I’ve spent time there too – can’t take the Midwestern accent, even a hint of it, and the Great Lakes winters… no way.

Plus, you can’t turn your head in my hood Los Angeles without seeing a cool-as-fug old car or Satanic Mexican metalhead teenager. The high school checkout girl at the grocery store had a Testament wristband on, told me she was dying to finish her shift so she could go to their signing at Amoeba. Huh? Yeah, Amoeba, where I just picked up the triple album special edition of Motorhead’s Ace of Spades in red/yellow/black colored vinyl a la the German flag. Speaking of Germany, then there’s Charles Bukowski…

Nothing to do in San Diego? I lived there for twenty years, never had a problem finding things to do...we moved because of the over population and the cost of living and the crime rate.

Archived