Gibson Brands Forums

Fake Hummingbird

You see those blocks on some of the Norlin Gibsons - including electrics.

TRC should have only 2 screws, both centered - my eyes can't quite tell in the pics. . <*EDIT*> TommyK says this is okay for Norlin (below in post #10)

The tuners might have been changed.

From what I can see with those smallish pics, looks okay.

Here's a 74 with Grovers - http://cgi.ebay.com/1974-GIBSON-HUMMINGBIRD-CHERRY-SUNBURST-HSC-/150597664237?pt=Guitar&hash=item231051fded#ht_500wt_1156

$(KGrHqN,!lME2EiNnWRBBNuF1bsGqQ~~_12.JPG

everything looks good to me except I've never seen block inlays on a HB...
Maybe my mind has turned to mush but I never thought Gibson made a HB without block inlays? Perhaps some of the newer HB models--Songwriter or whatever, I don't keep up with the new ones--have dots? IME block inlays were a signal HB feature at the launch in '61. I had two '65s + a '72 HB. The earlier ones had 'parallelogram' shaped inlays but Gibson switched to a 'rectangle' about the late '60s. Played many others that were like these from the the '61s onward.

That guitar looks like a '70s Hummingbird overall, not a copy, and while the 'double-X' is not something collectors get all lathered up about some of 'em do sound surprisingly nice. I say this having owned a few of the DX ones + a bunch of the others.

i have a 76 Hummingbird and it looked exactly like that guitar. exactly. on the back of the headstock the serial number is silk screened on, it also says "Hummingbird" (or maybe "Gibson Hummingbird," i can't remember)

mine's a dud.

My eyes see a three screw bell shaped TRC.

The two screw TRCs are bell shaped with a small bump out at the bottom where the 2nd of 2 screws goes. Some would call this bump out the bell clapper. This leaves the flair 'suspended' above the nut

This TRC appears to flair out and ends just above the nut like an Epiphone TRC. This leads me to believe this is a 3 screw TRC.

CAUTION. at some point during the Norlin years three screw TRCs were used on Gibsons.

Archived