Gibson Brands Forums

I found this beauty in my uncle's attic

My great-uncle died and, while cleaning out his attic, I found this beautiful mandolin. I don't know much about mandolins but this seems to be a real beauty and it sounds like a dream. The thing that's odd, though, is that the headstock doesn't have any Gibson markings. It appears to have been re-strung...I wonder if they also replaced the headstock for some reason? Anyway, I would really appreciate any information anyone might be able to offer on what model Gibson I have found. Also, any suggestions on where I might be able to sell it would be helpful. I hate toilet it go...I would love to learn how to play it! But if it's worth anything at all, I'd like to sell it because we'll likely need to put the money toward estate taxes!

Here is a link to a web gallery with pictures and a few short videos:

http://gallery.me.com/thegrims/100060

Thanks in advance for your help!

• 8 months later...

That appears to be an old mandolin indeed ! It could be worth a lot of money if the mandolin is still in tact.

If you would like us to date/ identify the mandolin, please send us the following pictures:

* Photos of the instrument in JPG format as an attachment (please limit to 2MB total size for all pictures together, as a bigger total size will not reach us) – full front, full back, as well as close ups of the front and back of the headstock.

Email:

service@gibson.com

service.europe@gibson.com

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's a model "A" Gibson mandolin, made in either 1916 or 1917, depending on what the third number is in the overall serial number (can't quite make it out). Latest Vintage Guitar price guide values it at $1600 - $2000, low to high range in excellent condition.

Archived