Gibson Brands Forums

Old Tubes/Less Lively Sound?

guitarmanjt

Start by replacing the preamp tubes first..If that doesn't work, then you may wana swap out the Power tubes..idk if your amp is self-biasing so you may have to take it to a amp-tech for them to do that for you. Before I sold my Peavey Classic 30 the original tubes were still going strong after over a decade..Now the funny thing is, even after a decade of constant use, I spilled about two cups of hot coffee ALL over the amp...Tubes, speakers and all...And guess what? The tubes still worked, and sounded just as fat and beefy as before...Only thing that needed replacing was a fuse...So try changing out your preamp tubes first and see how you like the results.

It could be, could not be.

Judging how worn the tubes are is difficult to quantify. It has been a year and a half? As they wear, it happens slowly, not noticeable from on week to the next. The only way to hear the difference would be to go back in time.

Just because it has been a long time does not mean they have worn down. But, different amps wear tubes faster, and also, different types and different brands wear faster.

With only 2 tubes, there is no reason why you shouldn't have more tubes just to try and find the ones that sound the best. It can really make a big difference when you find tube brands that go well with the amp.

Archived