Gibson Brands Forums

Need Info On Les Paul Classic

sexygibson

I stopped in a local shop today just to pick up some strings and they have a '99 Les Paul Classic Limited Edition in ebony finish.

A couple things seemed a bit off to me. First. it had covered humbuckers; I thought all the Classics had open coils but I guess the pups could have been replaced or had covers put on.

Second, the serial number was a odd looking 5 digit number that appeared to be painted on. I have definantly never saw that. Could this be because it is a Limited Edition.

Nothing really jumped out at me as to what made it a Limited Edition. It was overpriced, imo , for its condition. It has some serious buckle rash and other assorted scratches on the back. They are asking $1599 but in that condition I would be hard pressed to pay more than a grand.

What say the forum ?

According to a 2008 edition, of Vintage Guitar Price Guide,

an "Excellent Condition," Classic plain top, would be $1,600

at the high end, and $1,400 at the low end. So, one's that's

in less, to much less, than excellent condition, "should" be

worth less. But, like anything of "value," it's what the seller

can get, and/or someone's willing to pay.

As to the serial number, does it really look "painted on," or

"ink stamped?" "Painted on," I'd really be suspicious of, but

"ink stamped," is a common enough practice, at Gibson, on

certain models/years.

The pickup covers? Many (myself included) put pickup covers,

on their Classic's. One, to tame down the output, ever so

slightly, and for aesthetic reasons (mostly), as well. But,

some may have changed pickups, altogether, as you mentioned.

Good Luck!

CB

... a '99 Les Paul Classic Limited Edition in ebony finish........ the serial number was a odd looking 5 digit number that appeared to be painted on....

As R9 and CB have suggested, there is nothing amiss with the serial number.

Classics from 1999 would be 9 xxxx.

As far as the look of the number goes; normally the number is stamped with black ink onto the raw wood. As this guitar is finished in Ebony it would have to have the number stamped after it was painted, in a light-coloured ink, and on the black gloss-finish it could look painted-on.

P.

In the first post the OP states that It's in Ebony finish...

Hey. Jus' sayin.

P.

i was just making a general statement on all Classics. namely that they are not worth all that much unless it's an a 1990-91 -or- has a plus top.

just sayin. [biggrin]

i was just making a general statement on all Classics. namely that they are not worth all that much unless it's an a 1990-91 -or- has a plus top.

just sayin. [biggrin]

[biggrin]

I envy you chaps in the USA where Classics are still undervalued!

Just out of interest I've checked the 'completed' list of any sort of sunburst-finish Classics from ebay-UK over the last month. Of those that sold only one fetched less than $2,000 - it went for $1,808 plus shipping. The norm was about $2,200 and not one was a Plus or Premium-Plus model. The oldest of those sold was a 1999.

From personal experience I can tell you that a really nice, early Classic with a good P-P top will sell here (in London) for £1,700 - which works out as $2,790. I've seen three in the last 6 months and they all sold within one week.

Even allowing for the dreaded Taxes and import duty; if you can scoop these up where you are for $1,200 to $1,400 and ship them over here you'd be on to a winner!

:-k

P.

Archived