Gibson Brands Forums

interesting guitar design #6

onewilyfool

I found this pic on some website...whats neat about this is that it would allow easier access to the top frets where the neck meets the body. Simple carve by hand or CNC machine...no loss of strength really, less pull on the treble side anyway.......I really like non symmetry on a guitar.....form following function!!

IMG_1217.jpg

I'm not sure about that from an engineering perspective, without seeing the rest of the neck joint detail. If you want to reach much above the 14th fret, get a cutaway. That's why God created the ES 335 on the 7th day, while she was resting on the front porch thinking of something else to make (yeah, and maybe those other funny guitars like that LP thing).

I thought the rest of those frets up there on an acoustic were just for decoration, anyway, unless your initials are EC.........

OK, so I pulled out a couple of very different guitars (Martin 000-28 EC and Gibson ES 335)to figure this out. What I find is that no part of the palm of my hand is actually really close to the treble side of the neck heel when I'm playing way up the neck.(OK, maybe a bit close playing the ES 335 at the 20th fret +, which is never-never land for me in any case.) Am I doing something wrong, or is this neck heel design for some entirely different reason? Like, to be different and look way cool?

Archived