Gibson Brands Forums

Entertaining the neighbors Lately

G McBride

The weather has finally dried out and warmed up here in Indiana. I have spent a lot of time out on the front porch playing my J45 lately. Spent Saturday afternoon playing and perfecting a new song while the neighbors were getting ready for their Memorial Day gatherings.

Nothing can be finer than being in the great outdoors playing you Gibson. I added some electrical outlets for Christmas lights in December last year to the porch. I have been looking at those thinking that I could probably bring an amp outside and put it on 10, just to see how far away I can get a response from. From my front porch I have an unobstructed view for at least five miles to the West, or at least to the horizon.

Time to set up an outdoor jam. Maybe build a little fire, ice down a few drinks and invite a few friends over.

Wow doesn't sunshine bring out the best in us.

Definitely, sounds like a lot of fun and inspiration. Would love to have a view like this. We have a terrace and recently noticed two piegons that have nested near by dropping in for a sing a long when i noodle on our terrace .. :-)

I'm at a dog show in Los Angeles. We're in our motor home, parked with serveral friends. We cook dinner, then sit around and talk....and of course I always break out my old Jubilee and play whatever songs I know the words to!

Yeah..... times are good!

Wow McB! Good way to bring music to some youngsters who may never have seen/heard an accoustic guitar played live! You can be sure you'll make a lasting impression and inspire several!! I'm more of a back porch player myself. A neighbor on each side and a herd of cows out back comprise my fan club... To the extent none have complained. BTW, I've noticed natural sunlight brings out the beauty of the spruce on my SJ200. Almost irradescent.

I was just out on our deck...and considered bringing a guitar out. but it gets sultry here in North Carolina...its been in the 90's lately and the humidity is so high its hard to breathe.

My guitars are inside where the A/C keeps the temperatures and humidity in the tolerable range. I'm always hesitant to take the guitars out and back in due to the extreme shifts in temps and humidity...

Even if its just for an hour or so ?

I was just out on our deck...and considered bringing a guitar out. but it gets sultry here in North Carolina...its been in the 90's lately and the humidity is so high its hard to breathe.

My guitars are inside where the A/C keeps the temperatures and humidity in the tolerable range. I'm always hesitant to take the guitars out and back in due to the extreme shifts in temps and humidity...

Take them out and play them. They like the sunshine too.

I figured the neighbor would be having a pool party later today and I may end up playing some more. Maybe I should set our a TIP Jar.

Go to go ride a mower for a while.

I take my guitars and banjo out on the deck all the time in summer. I hope nobody can hear more than a faint sound....my nearest neighbor is 200+ yards away.

All I can hear from them is the occasional lawnmower, dogs and drunken yelps.

I stay inside with the fiddle and harmonica. [biggrin]

As long as they are dropping in and not dropping on you, pigeons are Ok.

ROFL! I have two pigeons who live in my eaves, Peppy and Louisa. Peppy likes the guitar, Louisa not so much. Believe it or not Peppy even has a favourite song: The Shrimp Song by Elvis Presley (well, by me I guess). Yeah, losin' credibility here haha!

I put up some privacy panels on my deck last year, then ran some rope lights around the perimeter. It looks so cozy on a hot summer night. It's not quite warm enough yet tho'.

Gill, you're in Indiana? I just ordered some new tack from a place called Bremen (I think) Indiana, Horse Saddle Shop. Tucker Cheyenne tack set and reins! Goes with my saddle!

Viva la summer!!!!!

Karen, yes I am in Indiana, about three hours south of Bremen. Tucker is good equipment, you will like it I'm sure.

I have a buddy that is a farrier, he and I get together and jam when we can. It will be nice sitting outside until it gets to humid and hot. Got a grill on this porch also so we may have to fire it up, ice down some cold ones and play for hours one of these days this summer.

Didn't play outside for the neighbors pool crowd. I had to work on some electric stuff for my lesson. Instructor didn't like my enthusiasm for classical style finger picking so we are back on to more rock stuff. This week it is Flirtin with Disaster. I have to learn all of the little licks and runs in the song between the chords. I am sure we will be doing the double guitar lead before it is over.

Even if its just for an hour or so ?

I'm less concerned with playing them outside and more concerned with taking them out. Its the transition I worry about.

If I was going to be out all afternoon...I'd take it out in the case and let it transition to the warmer atmosphere for an hour or so. But to take a guitar directly out of the cool house to the blistering sultry heat for a twenty minute session on the porch....I dunno. To feel the still cool guitar in my arms when I'm sitting in the 95 degree heat just doesn't seem like it would be good for the guitar...

I'm going to the Gibson homecoming in a couple weeks....this might be a good question for Ren and the guys at Gibson...see what they think...

Just be careful you're not sitting on the porch "advertising" that expensive guitar to the wrong folks.

Maybe you live in an area where that isnt a concern but years ago we had a break-in even living in a nice area. They went thru the living room to the back porch and stole a dirtbike walking right by my J-45 sitting on a stand.

I'm less concerned with playing them outside and more concerned with taking them out. Its the transition I worry about.

If I was going to be out all afternoon...I'd take it out in the case and let it transition to the warmer atmosphere for an hour or so. But to take a guitar directly out of the cool house to the blistering sultry heat for a twenty minute session on the porch....I dunno. To feel the still cool guitar in my arms when I'm sitting in the 95 degree heat just doesn't seem like it would be good for the guitar...

I'm going to the Gibson homecoming in a couple weeks....this might be a good question for Ren and the guys at Gibson...see what they think...

Dotneck, I'm with you all the way. In our neck of the woods, November is the time of year for playing out on the deck. Late May/early June (especially this year) is rough on instruments and players. My wife went to a cookout yesterday (while I minded our dog who's recovering from foot surgery) and, although the person has a beautiful and spacious backyard, everything but the actual cooking happened inside. No one really wanted to be out in that heat and humidity.

The South has a longstanding tradition of outdoor musical events in the summer. That made perfect sense pre-air conditioning. Not so much now, and many of them seem to be moving to early spring or late autumn, when the weather here is cooler and drier.

Just be careful you're not sitting on the porch "advertising" that expensive guitar to the wrong folks.

Yes, we want to sound our best every time there is a hint or sniff of a crowd that may listen, but we don't want them to return in the middle of the night and take your fave guitar!

I have an old Samick from a pawn shop for outside occasions - it looks real sick, but I had my local guitar repairman set it up properly, add a bone nut and saddle and pins, and also a fishman passive undersaddle pickup (in case I have to play to real rough crowd, or drunk friends/family members/other greedy and untrustworthy guitarists!; or like mentioned above - the front verandah).

Regards

BluesKing777.

I guess i should mention that I think a man should invest in Guns and Guitars. I am in the country. I have a housing addition to the North of me about 300 yards and a neighbor on the other side of the road about the same distance. People can't actually see what I am playing other than a guitar, but the noise travels very nicely without any noise pollution going on.

I also have many nice guns. People don't see them but they can hear me firing them and know that I practice shooting to stay proficient at that also.

I have never had any issues with theft. I attribute some of that to my habits and unpredictability so thieves don't know when a safe time to hit me would be. Some of the protection comes from my old farm dogs that hang around and sound off when ever anyone enters the property. Some of it comes from living in a small town and still knowing all of my neighbors as well.

I also have a few campfire guitars around that I get out when we have company and just want to play a little. I have a Citation that I have done some upgrades to and also an old Japanese Austin that is a copy of a Gibson J200.

I am never showing off guitars to people that I don't know.

I love playing outdoors, on the porch, in a hammock, etc, but I dare to take my J45 or my Hummingbird Pro out. I bought a Epiphone AJ200E to play outdoors. $199 vs $2000 and $2500. Thats a no brainer to me.

Why own nice guitars if you are afraid to play them? I have a couple of cheap guitars also but will always pick up a better guitar when I want to play. The better guitars make me sound better than I am.

Archived