Gibson Brands Forums

help identifying a 12 string...

S t e v e

my mate just bought this but can't seem to find any info on it... :-k

The brand is called Kasuga. There's a label inside the guitar that says it's a Kasuga Guitar GU3615, he bought it in an antique shop...they say it was made in the 70's.

12string1.jpg

12string2.jpg

Kasuga was a Japanese builder of some very fine instruments.

My 1978 or 79 LP copy was made there. Beautiful workmanship. People can't believe its over 30 years old. A great player. I eventually swapped out all electronics a couple of years ago.

Nice looking guitar your buddy has.

Dave

The brand is called Kasuga. There's a label inside the guitar that says it's a Kasuga Guitar GU3615, he bought it in an antique shop...they say it was made in the 70's.

12string1.jpg

12string2.jpg

They were made in Japan..... They also made some pretty nice looking Les Paul copies I remember seeing back in the day

Guest FarnsBarns

12string1.jpg

12string2.jpg

Could easily be wrong but the designer in me says that label inside is 90s, not 70s?

The bridge details leads me to believe it may be yet another brand made by the makers of Aria and Epiphone of that era, Matsumoku.

Do you have any details of the headstock and back. A close-up of the label would be nice.

She is a looker. I always was a sucker for cherry burst.

The bridge details leads me to believe it may be yet another brand made by the makers of Aria and Epiphone of that era, Matsumoku.

Do you have any details of the headstock and back. A close-up of the label would be nice.

She is a looker. I always was a sucker for cherry burst.

Not to sound like a know it all but I've done a fair bit of research on Kasuga because of the lawsuit era lp copy I have. Matsumoku was and is more recognized than Kasuga. Definitely competitors. Both have put out some awesome instruments under different names. The headstock on mine says Northern. It was built for the Canadian market and distributed through a company in Ontario, Canada. What makes it kinda unique is that it has maple leafs as fret markers on the maple neck.

Lots of great quality guitars came out of these factories.

Not to sound like a know it all but I've done a fair bit of research on Kasuga because of the lawsuit era lp copy I have. Matsumoku was and is more recognized than Kasuga. Definitely competitors. Both have put out some awesome instruments under different names. The headstock on mine says Northern. It was built for the Canadian market and distributed through a company in Ontario, Canada. What makes it kinda unique is that it has maple leafs as fret markers on the maple neck.

Lots of great quality guitars came out of these factories.

Cool. I learned something.

That saddle holster/adjuster sure looks Matsumokuish. Maybe they had the same supplier.

Would you rate Kasuga above, below, or at about the same level as Matsumoku?

Did Kasuga have a bolt on neck like the Matsumokus?

Cool. I learned something.

That saddle holster/adjuster sure looks Matsumokuish. Maybe they had the same supplier.

Would you rate Kasuga above, below, or at about the same level as Matsumoku?

Did Kasuga have a bolt on neck like the Matsumokus?

I really don't know that I'm qualified to determine which is best. Both have made excellent instruments. I've heard a lot more about Matsumoku. I believe both have built with bolt on and set necks. There is a website pretty much dedicated to Matsumoku guitars called matsumoku.org (I think).

There is also some info at the guitarscanada website and likely lespaulforum.

Hopes this helps a little.

Dave

Archived