Gibson Brands Forums

Welcome CS336 and 356 owners and admirers

dodgytoo

Hi all,

I love the pics of your CS-356s. I am searching for one but most that I see online are the faded cherry finish. Has this model been discontinued? Why is it that Gibson doesnt show the specs on their site?

Anyone can tell me the weight of the CS-356? I have an ES-335 Larry Carlton and I believe it's more than 10 lbs.

Thanks.

I've followed this model online since I got mine in 2003 and most seem to run between 7 and 8 lbs. Mine weighs 7.2 (without a Bigsby).

Specs-wise, the 356 has the Ebony fingerboard with big blocks, the gold hardware and 3-ply binding, the split parallelogram headstock design like an LP Custom. The 336 has the rosewood fingerboard, nickel hardware and single-ply binding and plainer headstock. Generally, there seems to be a top-wood upgrade (more figure) on the 356, but not always. Otherwise the construction and specs between the two models is the same (solid mahogany back "tonally carved" (routed/chambered) leaving the side and center block an integral part of the same piece of mahogany, with an LP-like bookmatched maple top. Classic '57 pickups in both. They aren't much bigger than an LP, substantially smaller than a 335.

Yep everything Clayville said. Mine is 6.9 pounds. Also, I noticed the neck on mine is thinner than my 346 PJR,which allows for faster playing. But I still will admit that the 335 sounds better than 356. The 335 has more growl due it's size. But it's a bear to hold and play.

Hey Everybody, I'm new to this forum and have a question about what strings people are using on these guitars. I have a 2006 cs336 which I use in the jazz quartet that I'm in. I love the guitar and for the past year or so I was using diadario chromes (11's) which were very cool, but sometimes a little shrill in the higher register notes. I happened to get a hold of some Gibson Flat Wires and loved them, only to find out that they are discontinued. Since then I've been trying different strings including Gibson L-5's, but I haven't found anything that I liked as much as those flat wires. Is anyone else using flat wound strings on a 336/356? I'm interested to hear what people are using, especially jazz players that like a clean, jazzy tone. Thanks a lot.

jazzlvr,

unfortunately i think you are correct, i have used gibson flatwires for years, and have only about 5 or 6 sets left, but i also use d'addario chromes on several guitars around 51 - 52 to 12 on them with success, so try a 12 on the top E and normally these strings, ( the B and E ) are plain steel, you might experiment with nickle for them in an approptiate gauge.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I just got my first ever semi-hallow guitar and I have to admit this one totally spank my 59RI and 68RI sustain and tone wise... very nice warm woody tone and everything in between. Totally loving this one and looks like a keeper.:-s

Check her out.... Miss Moly 03

DSC00737.jpg

DSC00739.jpg

DSC00746.jpg

DSC00742.jpg

Looks like another Music Machine Stinger (so's mine' date=' so we're cousins). Mighty, mighty fine geetars.

You know about this, don't you?

http://www.stingerguitars.com/[/quote']

What's up Clay?? Yup, 1 of 9 Custom Authentic Stinger with 50's Beefy neck, #14 of 19-20? ever made! Mine is Pre VOS. When i first got it my wife thought it was at least 25 years old#-o

I bought it from one of the MLP memeber and it was registered.... I might have to re-register one of this day.

So, you have the slim taper neck with the gorgeous top and shiny Gold hardware, Purty nice, Bro!

I stumble upon this guitar searching for 59RI three weeks ago (which I also bought) and ...totally couldn't sleep after seeing the picture. So I PM the seller and the rest is history. Very cool guy (retired lawyer) and wouldn't sell it for me for less than he was asking for ... I eventually gave in and bought it anyway.... I just couldn't pass it up. Then come to find out it has rarity to it, I almost fell out of my chair. I bought it to play not to collect or what not, and i got to admit, i was blown away with the sounds coming off this guitar.... a not muddied supt'up Les paul, woody, excellent honking mids, very open highs and most of it all, can cover a lot of genre... a definitely plus.

I just thought i share picture of Miss Molly here, Damn, love this guitar.

Small world: I corresponded a bit with Gene through the LPF back when we first got these from the '03 run. I already had mine and he was looking for reports on the sound, size, feel... if I remember right, he loved his 356 but started to get eyes for some sort of custom bluegrass machine a couple of years ago (hows that for a year's old GAS report?). And had a daughter's tuition bills looming too as I recall.

Anyway... I wouldn't part with mine for twice what I paid new (and that was a bunch).

Small world: Anyway... I wouldn't part with mine for twice what I paid new (and that was a bunch).

I can understand why, it would be the same as losing one of your arm, LOL, considering all of the music you made/post using this guitar which BTW, to me was... awesome! Those sounds really came from your 356?? :) :^o Sweet!

Hey Everybody' date=' I'm new to this forum and have a question about what strings people are using on these guitars. I have a 2006 cs336 which I use in the jazz quartet that I'm in. I love the guitar and for the past year or so I was using diadario chromes (11's) which were very cool, but sometimes a little shrill in the higher register notes. I happened to get a hold of some Gibson Flat Wires and loved them, only to find out that they are discontinued. Since then I've been trying different strings including Gibson L-5's, but I haven't found anything that I liked as much as those flat wires. Is anyone else using flat wound strings on a 336/356? I'm interested to hear what people are using, especially jazz players that like a clean, jazzy tone. Thanks a lot.[/quote']

I use Diadario chromes (10s) for my 346 for a long time. I used Diadario Nickels (10s) on my 356 and I like them too. I also use Diadario chromes (12s) for my L5 and I love them as well. I have tried Dean Markley Signatures (10) on my 346 from time to time. And unlike the chromes, they are brighter sounding and does allow for more fusion-like playing.

I would definitely sugguest using Monster jazz guitar cables. These cables will remove the shrill sound out of the strings!

JazzGtr

• 2 weeks later...