Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dodgytoo

Welcome CS336 and 356 owners and admirers

bought a plain top sunburst from wildwood, 5-1-09. bruce said that the figured sunburst he had was sold 15" before i showed up!

more than delighted!

Hi Tom! And what a fine example it is... I forget: does it have Dr. V's in it now?

Greetings Clayville,

Indeed it does have Dr. V's, though the pic is still stock. In this particular case, and with this particular guitar, and my personal affinity for the darker, more 335-like tone, they work well for me. For others, the stock Gibsons probably are fine. I liked the guitar before, but now I use it more. I am a big 336 fan. I just love the size and feel of it when I am playing.

Tom

Anyone looking for a CS 356, I see there are a few new ones on the Wildwood Guitar site

Under Electric , then Gibson and categorised strangely enough under ES Series

Some nice wood there

es seems like the most reasonable slot for cs . . .

what is the deal with korina wood? i kinda think they're unattractive. does korina sound extra good? eljay (1 hr up the road from wildwood)

Well, I as a member of the club, but then sold my natural CS 356 to fund the purchase of the Lifeson 355. And now I miss it. So, I found another 356 and am planning on getting it soon.

I was poised to purchase a CS356 as depicted in Wondo's response above, but was sorely disappointed in the tone. I had researched the purchase quite a bit and walked in the store with the intention of walking out with the guitar. I did an A/B comparison with a figured top ES-335 and it was "game over". The 356 tone was rather thin and brittle by comparison, perhaps due to the ebony fingerboard? There were also issues with the wiring, where the pots were basically on/off switches for volume and tone. The salesman suggested it was a special "Memphis" wiring and pot taper setup that he had seen on other guitars. Hmmmm? Does this make sense to anyone else?

It was really a shame, as the 356 played nice otherwise and was a real stunner to look at. Instead I left with the ES-335 figured top as shown below. No complaints other than I really prefer a rim jack like the 356 has.

ESDPVSNH1-Finish-Shot-jpg.aspx

The 356 never had the Memphis Tone Circuit stock. The 339 and 359 come wired that way.

Congrats on your new guitar, it's a beauty.

Right. The 336 and 356 do not have the Memphis circuit. I believe, like a Les Paul they have 300k pots and not much high end will be lost when you roll down the volume. The 339 and 359 have 500k pots and have a cap to help not lose the high end when volume is rolled off. The 339 and 359 sound closer to a 335/355 respectively and the 336 and 356 sound closer to a Les Paul. I never found the 336 or 356 to be brittle. I actually have Les Pauls that retain more high end than my 356 did. The 356 was warm and woody but could still get nice clarity on all notes.

If you got a 335 figured top, isn't that a Memphis guitar? Might it have the Memphis wiring?

My 335 was made in Memphis, but I don't believe it has the "Memphis" wiring. All indications from the Gibson product page are that it has the '57 Humbuckers and regular volume/tone setup it's had since day one.

Perhaps the guitar I played was a 359 rather than a 356? I could have had a brain cramp. In any case there were two distinct issue I had with the sound.

First was the brittle nature of the tone (with all pots set on 10). I played it through a '65 Blackface Deluxe Reverb like I normally use. There was plenty of articulation in the notes but it lacked the "woody" undertones I was looking for. As I suggested in my earlier post, this may be due to the ebony fingerboard. My ear hears the same sort of thing on many Les Paul Customs with maple tops (the all mahogany versions sound better to me). I had a 40th Anniversary Les Paul with P100 soapbars and an ebony fingerboard and it was somewhat sterile sounding to my ear as well. YMMV.

The second issue was what I perceived to be a flaw in the wiring. When the volume pots were turned down it turned the volume all but off at about 5 or 6. Tone was the same way, as there seemed to be no additional highs rolled off after about 5 or 6.

I'm chalking it up to a chance occurance on the one instrument. I've had the same thing happen on seemingly identical Les Pauls, where one sounds lousy and the next one on the wall sounds phenomenal.

sorry got temporarily side tracked on the Les Paul forum...but i'm back

my 356 comes back from the tech this week. been waiting for it to settle in before doing the final set up.

can't wait to feel the difference

well, while you were gone, i got a bit serious with taking good pics of my kids.

two shots of my 336:

es336i.jpg

es336h.jpg

at least, the pics are good by my stds!

Bump

Hope everyone got something nice from Gibson for Christmas

An OCD pedal accidentally jumped into my shopping bag when I accidentally stopped into a music shop while Christmas shopping for the Mrs.

Other than that, I got socks.