Gibson Brands Forums

Welcome CS336 and 356 owners and admirers

dodgytoo

Has anyone ever had tuning problems with their G string on their 356.

I am getting some binding problems and the annoying "ping" when I am tuning, which causes it to tune sharp.

Nothing major but the G string hasn't settled like the others. Despite my efforts

This issue can easily be fixed if it's the nut -- and it's not something specific to 336s, but caused by the sharp angles from the thick middle strings at the nut heading down due to headtock angle and out to the tuner on most Gibsons. Be aware that it could be caused by burrs in the saddle slot too, even though that's less likely.

You can approach the fix several ways:

!. If you're blessed with an appropriate sized nut file or are willing to invest in one from Stew-Mac, a few careful draws of the file through the slot while applying a bit of side-to-side pressure should do the trick.

2. You can fold a piece of fine sandpaper over an old string and draw that through the slot a few times to gently widen it a little.

3. Or you can lubricate the slot with a graphite pencil, a commercial graphite product like Nut Sauce, or even a waxy substance like Chapstick to make the slot more slippery.

With sanding/filing you generally want to be careful to avoid deepening the slot, or changing the angle of the bottom of the slot front-to-back -- for crisp sounding notes and good intonation you want a "clean/sharp" take-off point for the string as it goes from tuner through the slot and exits towards the saddle, so ideally the fretboard side of the slot is higher than the headstock side.

If those second two home remedies above don't help, or you're not comfortable doing the first one, it may be worth taking it to a luthier with the proper files for more extensive/confident nut work. Which is... likely to be about the price of the files!

Thought i'd join in as i do love my CS356 alot. It's Korina with a Quilted Maple top.

*********************************************************************************************************************************

IMG_1294-1.jpg

********************************************************************************************************************************

IMG_1314.jpg

********************************************************************************************************************************

IMG_1357.jpg

IMG_1298-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
^ ^ ^ ^

korina 356 = wildwood exclusive?

lovely pictures' date=' btw.[/quote']

Thanks, I'm improving my photo skills a bit . I took this one last month. yes, it's a wildwood. great shop,great guitars, and very nice people work there. This guitar is 1 i could never sell. sweet and nasty. It is my 1st CS guitar. made quite

an impression on me.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

IMG_3012.jpg

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

IMG_3016.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks, it was my first “good” guitar and has never left my possession in all of these years.

Cosmetically, the condition is as good as I have seen. It has some slight checking in the finish which is visible when you hold it up to the light just so, but you can’t see it under normal conditions. All the parts are original – unlike most Gibsons, the original Klusons have never been taken off.

Compared to the CS-356, the playability is not all that great – I am thinking of refretting it for the second time and running a radius block sander over the fretboard while I have the frets off to true it up a bit.

Going back to the slim neck also seems awkward now that I am used to the chunkier -356 profile and width. Seems like once I get “adapted” to an instrument that is my main axe, everything else seems peculiar in comparison.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...