Gibson Brands Forums

Welcome CS336 and 356 owners and admirers

dodgytoo

• 2 weeks later...

What do you think of either of these 336s?  Both are for sale, new.

I'd have to order either of them, so I can't say how they play yet.  But, both dealers have good return policies.  So, if I order one and I don't 'feel' it, I'll send it back.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by maller

17 hours ago, maller said:

I'd have to order either of them, so I can't say how they play yet.  But, both dealers have good return policies.  So, if I order one and I don't 'feel' it, I'll send it back.

1.jpg

2.jpg

There's no accounting for taste, but since you asked:

The bottom one. The light burst. Also much prefer a hard tail.

On 12/13/2020 at 11:11 AM, maller said:

1.jpg

2.jpg

I've loved my quilted CS-356 since the day I got it 17 years ago - but chosing between these two is primarily a matter of personal taste. I'd just point out that the Bigsby on the black one adds a bit to the weight. The figured wood 356s often come without the pick guard installed (but the pick guard is usually in the case and can be easily added later) - I've never installed mine, and it's never shown any excess wear from having not done so.

Thank you both for your feedback.   Regarding taste, both seem pretty cool (ie.-different).  I don’t know if I’d regret one after a bit of time.

The black one looks pretty bad a*** , and the quilt one looks really impressive.  I’ve never had a quilt top, wondering how this would look in-person.

Both are on Reverb right now, if you want to check out other pics (if someone snags one of them, it’ll make my decision easier).

I know this is an old thread but I just bough a second hand 336.. Been wanting one ever since I first played one about a decade ago.. There arent many guitars I would consider worthy of the price of a custom. But this one, I absolutely do.. [thumbup]

uwdqUyz.jpg

wfwphHV.jpg

96DIRKu.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Help with serial number on this CS336.    What year is this? “CS 203809

I’m trying to figure out from Gibson’s website.   I come up with a 2002 model, and the 3809 one made.

According to Gibson’s website - 
Custom Shop regular production models
CSYRRRR
CS stands for "Custom Shop"
Y indicates the production year
RRRR indicates the guitar's place in the sequence of production

Example: CS10845 is the 845th reg. production CS model produced in 2001.

55 minutes ago, maller said:

Help with serial number on this CS336.    What year is this? “CS 203809

I’m trying to figure out from Gibson’s website.   I come up with a 2002 model, and the 3809 one made.

According to Gibson’s website - 
Custom Shop regular production models
CSYRRRR
CS stands for "Custom Shop"
Y indicates the production year
RRRR indicates the guitar's place in the sequence of production

Example: CS10845 is the 845th reg. production CS model produced in 2001.

From what I know that could be a 2002 or a 2012

1 minute ago, maller said:

How can I be sure if a CS-336 that I’m looking at is legit?  No COA with it.

Online purchase.  Seller seems Ok, pics look right, serial number looks right .

Thanks. 

Send the the serial no and pics of the guitar to Gibson Customer Service..  They will be able to tell you..  I did that (but to Gibson Europe) and I got an answer pretty quickly.

Edited by Rabs

Thanks.  Submitted, and waiting on a response back.

As an aside, what do you think of the quilt Cherry burst pic from a few posts back?  I think the pics look super cool, but I wonder how it would look in-person.  I’d have to order it, so going off of pics (but shop has good return policy).

13 minutes ago, maller said:

Thanks.  Submitted, and waiting on a response back.

As an aside, what do you think of the quilt Cherry burst pic from a few posts back?  I think the pics look super cool, but I wonder how it would look in-person.  I’d have to order it, so going off of pics (but shop has good return policy).

Yes it looks nice..  Sometimes quilting can be a bit over the top for me but that one is pretty..  I prefer darker colour schemes generally, but thats just personal taste...

49 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Yes it looks nice..  Sometimes quilting can be a bit over the top for me but that one is pretty..  I prefer darker colour schemes generally, but thats just personal taste...

It’s either that  one, or this one.  Thoughts?   I’d have to order either, so going off of pics,

FEC584D7-5F5C-4795-916F-8F152A0DA463.png

Just now, maller said:

It’s either that  one, or this one.  Thoughts?   I’d have to order either, so going off of pics,

FEC584D7-5F5C-4795-916F-8F152A0DA463.png

Well you cant really tell anything from pictures. So if you are buying online then just get the one you like the look of most..  That dark burst is much more my thing and looks to have a lovely flamed top..  But really more important is how it feels to play..  As it goes every 336 I have played before I bought mine were all lovely to play but really every guitar is slightly different because they are hand finished instruments.. So the angle on the neck and the exact neck shape/size will be just slightly different on every guitar...  Thats why you have to play them to really know.

44 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Well you cant really tell anything from pictures. So if you are buying online then just get the one you like the look of most..  That dark burst is much more my thing and looks to have a lovely flamed top..  But really more important is how it feels to play..  As it goes every 336 I have played before I bought mine were all lovely to play but really every guitar is slightly different because they are hand finished instruments.. So the angle on the neck and the exact neck shape/size will be just slightly different on every guitar...  Thats why you have to play them to really know.

The dark burst is the one with no COA.  Waiting to hear back from Gibson on their thoughts about authenticity.  

I have an ES-339 in that color combo (non-flame) that I’m looking to upgrade from.  So, I am partial to the dark burst.  

But, that quilt has a really nice WOW factor, from the pics.  Not sure if, long term, I’ll tire of the quilt.  I still like the dark burst.

Hi Maller,

Here's a pic of my 2004 Custom order one off CS-336, S/N CS418XX:

oYHLPT8.jpg

It is Tangerine Burst Quilt so very similar to the one you are looking at only more orange than the redder Cherry Burst. Photos don't do the top justice. It looks much better in real life with a deep 3D effect. It is also the best Gibson I've owned by far and I've had 5 Les Pauls (4 of them Custom Shop), 3 ES-335's, Explorer, Firebird and a Johnny A. Tone wise and playability it nicely bridges the gap between a Les Paul and a 335. Custom ordered upgrades (quilt top, ebony fretboard and gold hardware) make it nearly a CS-356 but with pearloid dot fret markers. At 17 years old it has held up wonderfully, including the gold hardware. The Custom Shop craftsmanship is impeccable. 

Good luck with your decision,

JO'C

• Like 2

On 1/25/2021 at 7:45 PM, maller said:

The dark burst is the one with no COA.  Waiting to hear back from Gibson on their thoughts about authenticity.  

I have an ES-339 in that color combo (non-flame) that I’m looking to upgrade from.  So, I am partial to the dark burst.  

But, that quilt has a really nice WOW factor, from the pics.  Not sure if, long term, I’ll tire of the quilt.  I still like the dark burst.

Did you get it.. I just noticed this one on Reverb..  Weirdly they say its a 2020...  Which is odd as I havent seen them in the line up for a while now??? 

Gibson Custom Shop CS-336 Vintage Sunburst 2020 | The Music Zoo | Reverb

(actually looking further at the pics its a 2019 or 2009)..

Edited by Rabs

• 1 year later...

My second 336.. This time a M2M guitar with P90s  😄   Had it for a few months now but thought it best to have it officially on record here..

I intend to change the plastics to black when I can find some P90 covers that fit properly.

LmtDXmj.jpg

mYD7xWd.jpg

WJ8XbVU.jpg

OxaLVAD.jpg

3nBy1VS.jpg

5g5YyVP.jpg

• Like 1