Gibson Brands Forums

Is the Hummingbird the same as a Sq Shouldered CW or SJ?

Spot

Just asking...I thought the wood used was different but looking at the Gibson website spec on the Hummingbird, they appear to be the same...

Am I missing something????

HBSpec.jpg

[confused]

From my understanding they are the same guitars other than the finish / bling etc ...

Love both of em, actually I gave my CW a bit of a sex change and made into a HB after installing the tulip tuners, now its a 'natural' Hummingbird ...

But if you talk late 60's all three were basically the same guitar.

The rumor says so. Different tuners, guards, the C&W in natural finish, but apart from that, yes. Nowadays there's no square shouldered SJ, so we have the H-birds and the Sheryl Crow left.

I think the story is that the original Hummingbirds from 1960 was so big a success that the 2 slopes (SJ and C&W) followed the trend a few years later. And guess they parallel shifted their way forward regarding inner alterations.

Then later again, maybe 1968/69, the J-45/J-50s went square too - heavy braced and of course without the neck-bindings and parallelograms. Let's hear if I missed something. . .

The rumor says so.

I know some of the early ones were laminate, but can't figure the logic of when and why.

Sometimes I have wondered if there was a quality difference between the woods of the 60ties H-birds and the Sjs.

Different tuners, guards, finish, but apart from that, yes.

the original Hummingbirds from 1960 was so big a success that 2 slopes (SJ and C&W) followed the trend a few years later. Then in 1968/69, the J-45/J-50s went square too

A bad case of Martin-envy. Better to stick with what makes you unique.

The square shoulders Gibsons are NOT Martin copies, all the measures are different, and personally I like the sound of my SC much more than any sloped shoulders I tried, it's louder, more brilliant, more bassy.

The sloped shoulders are perhaps better for blues, but for rock and folk an Hummingbird for a C&W is more suited.

That no doubt had a big influence. I read somewhere (quite possibly here) that the brief when the HB was born was to create a Gibson D-18, but in the end they created the Hummingbird, which arguably is very different to the D-18 but they hit on a winner, possibly by chance.

From a product, marketing perspective it was probably their biggest product launch ever, so hats off to the guys at the time.

I know some of the early ones were laminate, but can't figure the logic of when and why.

Sometimes I have wondered if there was a quality difference between the woods of the 60ties H-birds and the Sjs.

My understanding is that there were some H-birds with laminated sides as well...however I'd love that Gibson reissues a sunburst SJ like yours.

My understanding is that there were some H-birds with laminated sides as well...however I'd love that Gibson reissues a sunburst SJ like yours.

GibCW-bodyspecialedition-shouldbemadebuGibsinmasterluthierRenFerguson.jpgThen you will presumably throw your eyes after this one.

A lonesome swallow from recent times, , , and to confuse the crowd called a Country & Western. Only picture I got and have seen.

Now that is one heluva pretty guitar Em7 !

GibCW-bodyspecialedition-shouldbemadebuGibsinmasterluthierRenFerguson.jpgThen you will presumably throw your eyes after this one.

A lonesome swallow from recent times, , , and to confuse the crowd called a Country & Western. Only picture I got and have seen.

Yes, I've seen the pic, but for what I know it's a limited production model and I couldn't grab it, for the model name it seems that Gibson's marketing wants to retain the name "southern jumbo" while square shoulders are sold under the "country & western" name, but at least if they wanted to name that guitar C&W they should have used the right label, not the orange one!

Some people at Gibson are pretty confused...

Original Question: "Is the Hummingbird the same as a Sq Shouldered CW or SJ?"

Yup. Except for aesthetic touches, the same basic guitar.

See also the Bozeman era J-30 which is essentially just a de-blinged version of the same guitar.

Yes, Em7, I saw those sunburst CWs last year -- and what a nice guitar that was/is!! -- and I just wondered what led to sunbursting a Country Western! Weird.

Fred

That no doubt had a big influence. I read somewhere (quite possibly here) that the brief when the HB was born was to create a Gibson D-18, but in the end they created the Hummingbird, which arguably is very different to the D-18 but they hit on a winner, possibly by chance.

From a product, marketing perspective it was probably their biggest product launch ever, so hats off to the guys at the time.

Gibson's first attempt was the Epiphone Frontier followed by the HB.

Here is another sunburst CW from Wildwood guitars. Amongst all the SJs they have, here is this!

Aha, , , the missing link.

To me those neutral guard bursts with neck-bindings and parallelograms remain Southern Jumbos. Sq. or slopes -

02999032_t.jpg

Here is another sunburst CW from Wildwood guitars. Amongst all the SJs they have, here is this!

Yeah, I've seen that one, very nice, correct labrel, incorrect finish. I wonder what's the difference between this guitar and a SJ, they look the same.

Highly confusing – I can see 2 guitar-souls discussing this on a bar Saturday night.

"That would be a Southern Jumbo."

"Absolutely not, it's a Country and Western."

"If you say it's burst, it's bound to be a SJ."

"But I'm sure the label says Country & Western."

"You're dreaming !"

"Dreaming,, , , , me ?"

"Yes, your memory fails you tonite."

"Are you saying I'm drunk !"

"In fact -YES !"

"Duel at sunrise !!!"

• 3 months later...

I just bought a Sheryl Crow Sig model. This guitar has been calling me for years. I love natural finishes firstly, but I find the square shoulder models to be much more versatile than sloped shoulder models. I've owned 2 J-45s and the Hummingbird model is the one for me...I still love J-45s as well..in fact most Gibsons!

Original Question: "Is the Hummingbird the same as a Sq Shouldered CW or SJ?"

Is the Hummingbird the same as a Sq Shouldered J45?

I would say yes, and did in post 4. Then again I haven't played many Birds from the late '60ties. Tried a late '60's J-45 last year and it came very close to my '68 Southern J. - which simply is the Bird without the birds and bees.

Somebody with the Gibson Flattop book better speak up.- - - I have my brand new version of this bible lying in the post-box unopened. It arrived today and I'll dig into this copy with excitement when the moon shows up. Gonna go out and hear a couple of young songwriters first.

Gonna go out and hear a couple of young songwriters first.

Just returned from a folk-evening in another part of town. 3 acts, 2 Gibsons involved. A J-45 white nut Standard and, , , , a 1991 J-45 all hog. The head a bit more pointing than the Standard/45 norm and with the old logo, no banner.

The young folkie told me only 20-something were made back then. He obviously loved the guitar and used 12 month old '13 strings. Played fine and created a pretty soft rounded sound, which worked good in the room – and with his splendid high voice.

So here's another completely new 45 to me : Mahogany back'n'sides'n'top.

Archived