Gibson Brands Forums

HELP! I'm very confused

MissouriPicker

Okay, I'm still looking for a CJ165ce. I've got the cash and I'm ready to buy, BUT, some ads show the J165 and CJ165ce at approx 2100 (for the maple), while others show the same darn thing at 2500+ (for the maple). I called Gibson a bit ago, but they're closed for the day, so I left a message........Anyway, Musicians Friend and several others offer a J165 and a CJ165ce. I've tried several dealers, including three names supplied by members here, and the prices are all pretty close betweeen the dealers.. On the guitar, I've read over and over the info and the specs and everything seems to be identical, execpt the prices. Same bridge, same inlay, same rosette, same woods, etc. Does anyone know what is different about the guitars for the prices to vary so much? And what's the difference between a J and CJ? I first thought that maybe the ones that were about 2100 where "old" stock maybe, and they were trying to clear them out, BUT, the email I just received said they can order me one directly from Gibson for 2059 and that Gibson will ship immediately because they have several in stock.......I guess I'm just confused as hell. Also, in some places the guitar is known as a J165ce, and another place calls it a CJ165ce, both for the same price. God Bless Gibby guitars, but I'd love to know why some of these guitars are 2500 and more, while others are 2059-79-89,, etc. I've got the dough for the 2500, but if I can get the same thing or almost for around 500 less, I'll do it. I just need to know which is which.....Any help that the Gibby masters can give me will be greatly appreciated. Sorry for meandering on and on....If I'm ordering sight-unseen, I want to be sure I'm getting what I'm expecting.

Southern gentleman, have you visited ebay recently? There a pair of CJs and I think you can get'em for less than 2100... I'm not an expert in these guitar by my feeling is that they're the same instrument and the price varies according to the year the guitar was made (and relative price list).

... I'd love to know why some of these guitars are 2500 and more, while others are 2059-79-89,, etc. I've got the dough for the 2500, but if I can get the same thing or almost for around 500 less, I'll do it. ...

It has to do with the Minimum Advertised Price (MAP). The J-165EC (current name) and the CJ-165EC (old name) are the same guitar, with about the same list price, but the J-165EC is only discounted about 20% (typical current MAP) and the older CJ-165EC is discounted around 30% (typical older MAP). The CJ-165 has a significantly lower list price (partly because it was set a few years ago, partly because the CJ-165 was a great deal -- underpriced, relative to other models -- when it was introduced, and partly because it doesn't have the pickup and cutaway) and also benefits from the old MAP of 30-ish% off list.

I don't what's out there in the way of new CJ-165s these days, but $2059 was not a good deal on a maple CJ-165 back when they were in production. $2500+ is not a great deal on a [C]J-165EC now. $2849 is a terrible deal.

-- Bob R

The original 165's, sans cutaway, were a great deal. They had upgraded woods, like ebony fretboard and bridge on the rosewood model and nice flamed maple on the maple, shell rosettes, fretboard inlays, bound fretboard, inlaid shell headstock logo, and mine had pickups like a modern classic. But the price was only slightly more than say a J-45.

DSCN1568.JPG

DSCN1571.JPG

The original 165's, sans cutaway, were a great deal. They had upgraded woods, like ebony fretboard and bridge on the rosewood model and nice flamed maple on the maple, shell rosettes, fretboard inlays, bound fretboard, inlaid shell headstock logo, and mine had pickups like a modern classic. But the price was only slightly more than say a J-45.

DSCN1568.JPG

DSCN1571.JPG

THAT is a beautiful finish on some real nice wood.

If I had tried that guitar against others and it sounded better, I would easily go for it against the ones I have seen for an extra 500 bucks.

So...after reading the replies I'm a tad confused.

I have a CJ165. LOVE it! Totally different voice than all the dreads I play with. Great finger-style axe.

I was under the impression that a CJ165 is a CUTAWAY JUMBO and the J165 was non-cutaway jumbo. the e denoting electronics. I am probably wrong. I don't recall reading "Country" in any of the descriptions on the Gibson site or anywhere else.

Have I been misguided for so long?? lol

btw I paid $1,740 new.

post-27605-012436800 1306988662_thumb.jpg

I truly appreciate all of the respones. I'm pretty much convinced now that all of these are likely the same guitar with perhaps minor differences. Yet, I've seen a couple on youtube with mustache bridges, which I haven't seen in any ads. Likewise, if it's old stock, why does MF show an order due in August of this year? http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-cj-165-maple-acoustic-electric-guitar/518961000017000

And EM Shorts in Wichita said that Gibson informed them yesterday that they can send one within ten days...both are the guitars shown for under2100. EM Shorts is talking about a cutaway and MF is a non-cutaway. Anyway, God Bless and thanks for all the info. It truly is appreciated.

Hopefully I can get in touch with Gibson today. I'll report what they tell me.....Thanks to everyone.

Good hunting on that. I think you will enjoy it. The maple one is a real favorite of mine. One thing I might suggest if you go for the cutaway is try to get the seller on the phone and confirm that the pickup is the kind with controls mounted inside the sound hole.

Okay, just talked with Gibson Custumer Service. They checked the specs on the J165 or CJ165 models. He said they are literally all identical, aside from some that are custom made. Aside from that, the only difference he can find is Rosewood or Maple. All other specs and materials are the same. He said that they are currently out-of-production as of a couple months ago, but like most Gibbys, will likely be made again. And, as someone alluded to in an earlier post, the difference in pricing probably has something to do with the MSRP being used for different production runs. I didn't really understand all of that part....... He said if you find them for a lower price, then jump on it if you want one. He was very informative and friendly. Took his time.......Again, thanks for all the input from you folks.

MP what ever happens this is a great guitar and when you get one you will be more than happy. It took me a year to get mine.

The problem being I'm in UK and Gibson dealers either didn't have one or wouldn't order for me. On my side I wanted a non cutaway ebony fingerboard and all the Europe production was rosewood. So I got mine from good old USA.

Good luck let us know when you get one in your hands.

Archived