Gibson Brands Forums

Who speaks with there guitar the best?

ne14t?

Ok for you who do you think speaks with there guitar the best, and I dont mean Peter Frampton using a talk box type speaking. I mean like Carlos Santana ala Oye Como Va type speaking with that firey passion that dont need lyrics. Actually for the Latin style I would say nobody can top Carlos, for Hard Rock Joe Satriani tops my list, Brendan Small and YJM are at the top for Metal (Small beats YJM out by a bit because he is more diverse and composes his own music), in the Stoner Rock side definitely David Gilmour especially if your stoned (get some nice quality stereo headphones and listen to Echoes immediately, even if your not stoned that song is always a journey for me)

These guys are also some of the larger infulences for me to pick my guitar up. I would like to see what other artsist people have in mind for this, hopefully some of them will be new ones for me to check out.

I feel really bad that I even forgot BB I deserve a good beating for that one...

"It seems that it loves to be petted and played with. There's also a certain way you hold it, the certain noises it makes, the way it excites me ... and Lucille don't want to play anything but the blues ... Lucille is real, when I play her it's almost like hearing words, and of course, naturally I hear cries."

-B.B. King (From the album liner of his 1968 album entitled Lucille)

A voice you know instantly. A voice I was fortunate as a wee lad at Blow By Blow time to hear plinking at an unplugged telecaster in...Mannys I guess, maybe Sam Ash up there in NYC. This guy sittin on a chair, effing around with an unplugged junky run-of-the-mill telecaster that I don't even have to say USA because it was the only kind we had, surrounded by suits all standing around smellin like herb and acting much cooler than me. No wang bar, no speakers to coax, just him, not even walking back and forth, sitting in a chair, sounded Just. Like. Him. What a voice. Never forget that, 35 odd years ago.

jeff-beck.jpg?w=238&h=232Jeff-Beck-at-the-Grammys.jpgjeff_beck_05.jpg

rct

I could think of MANY who can make the guitar "speak"..BB, Clapton does a GREAT job at times (like from the cradle), all those you named, Johnny Winter, the Vaughn brothers (both)..yea I could go on.

BUT the one who stands out in my mind you can speak entirely with the guitar is ERIC JOHNSON, in much the same way Satrioni and Santana does.

Jimi did.

Jimi was the master, if someone says his music doesnt speak to them they dont know what real music is! His use of a wah pedal and fuzz is what started the whole guitar effects craze, landmark pioneer all around when it comes to the guitar, and not just playing I think Jimi had one of the best stage shows ever too, lighting your guitar on fire and playing it with your teeth, I mean cmon!

One of my favorites is Neil Young,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GDIkb5CDUY

But then again, Jack White makes me cry with his ability, especially live performances

And whoever disses Joe Satriani, has never heard the cover of Cortez the Killer he does with Grace Potter [wub] . BS, he can only play "a million notes a minute", he kicks *** in this song, and he works well with everyone else, when he solos with the trumpet player, I get goosebumps. That guy is one hell of a player too.

So yeah

^^^ Thought you weren't gonna be around much. Beat it kid. You probably didn't even listen to that song. [flapper]

I did listen. Remember when you showed me all of those Buckethead songs and I said they were good? If I can't make fun of Buckethead, then the world scares me.

I would be on less, right now my mom is sick, and she's just giving me commands of BS things to do, and I'm about ready to lose it

Archived