Gibson Brands Forums

Another 1969 GIbson es-355 ?

Seven10Ashbury

Can I switch out the stereo jack on my 1969 355 and replace it with a mono jack without impairing the use of the Varitone switch, or am I stuck in stereo? I don't mind. I'm just wondering. What I really need to know is if I can replace the stereo jack with a new one because it just went out. I'm hoping a connection came loose, but the electronics are a little too complicated for me.

Seven

A conversion to mono takes MAJOR rewiring, you can not just put in a mono jack or jump the hot leads. Basically there's not a single wire that goes to the same place.

Here's the stereo schematic:

2859732516_5533db624c_z.jpg?zz=1

Here's the mono version:

2862193610_64cb78d779_z.jpg?zz=1

In a nut shell what changes is the order of the components in the signal path:

Stereo = PU-SW-POT-VARI-Jack

Mono = PU-POT-SW-VARI-Jack

It's the placement of the pots in relation to the switch that make the difference.

Excellent answer Larry!!! It is a major pain to change it, but can be done. Seven10Ashbury, it may be a loose wire but I think it is the switch and/or the jack. I would not recommend doing the conversion You may want to save yourself some headaches and take it to a good tech. It may cost you a few bucks but will be done right. I would make sure you are using an experienced tech. and not the "dude" at the store that "always wanted to work on one of these". If you want to change it or not, you should take it to an experienced tech unless you feel you can check the switch and jack yourself.

Thanx guys. That's a big help. I think it might be the jack because I got it working and when the tremolo arm swung and hit it it went out again. But I'm having both checked anyway. That schematic is out of my league. I need a guide to read a schematic to work on the guitar. Usually I can just change pickups and stuff and that's just a matter of swapping parts and wires. Thanks a bunch!

Joe

FWIW, pulling and reinstalling the electronics on a 345/355 is the guitar work equivalent of waterboarding...don't do it!

Just an add here, you can use a stereo to mono adapter jack at the guitar, then just plug in a regular mono patch cord. I made a couple 90 degree stereo to mono adpaters and used them with my former 345. Worked like a charm.

Archived