Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson ES 347 - The Red-Headed Stepchild of the Gibson Line?

Hoya

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I have no audio; but I have some pics:

IMG_1056-1.jpg

IMG_1203-1.jpg

IMG_1052-1.jpg

IMG_1053-1.jpg

The serial # is 90510625, suggesting 1990 as the production year. No metal nut or pickup selector on one of the upper bouts of the guitar, as on earlier models. I once thought to change the pickups to '57 PAF's, but those pickups are 2-wire leads and would disable the coil-tap. A coil tap needs a 4 wire lead from the pu. I like the dirty fingers pu because it is not a ceramic type, but rivals the original 57 PAF's with more windings. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I love the sound driven or tuned to a jazzbox sound; it's a versatile guitar. Though similar to a BB King model (sans Varitone) in hardware, I think the dirty fingers sound better than the 490(?) pickups. I even like the TP-6 tailpiece, as it is a functional part in fine tuning the guitar.

gblue. thanks for the correction. Once a mistake gets onto the internet, it becomes a new "factoid."

That's a beauty, also. I've been playing my 335 for the last couple of days (gig coming up Saturday) and once again I realize the semi-acoustic shape is the one I love. I got out my SG to try on one song, and -- although it's lighter, and has incredible upper-fret access -- the 335 is the one I love.

Sorry I have no audio; but I have some pics:

The serial # is 90510625' date=' suggesting 1990 as the production year. No metal nut or pickup selector on one of the upper bouts of the guitar, as on earlier models. I once thought to change the pickups to '57 PAF's, but those pickups are 2-wire leads and would disable the coil-tap. A coil tap needs a 4 wire lead from the pu. I like the dirty fingers pu because it is not a ceramic type, but rivals the original 57 PAF's with more windings. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I love the sound driven or tuned to a jazzbox sound; it's a versatile guitar. Though similar to a BB King model (sans Varitone) in hardware, I think the dirty fingers sound better than the 490(?) pickups. I even like the TP-6 tailpiece, as it is a functional part in fine tuning the guitar.[/quote']

The Dirty Fingers are ceramic, as far as I know (Sweetwater)

And you actually need only 3 wires. That's what I ordered from Lindy Fralin and it worked just fine.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
I believe these were "officially" in production from 1978 through 1988, but I know that I have seen a few '89s and even ones from the early 1990s, the latter probably made on a custom basis.

I bought my blonde ES347 new in 1974 from Modern Music in Ft Lauderdale. Great guitar!

• 2 weeks later...
I had a ES-347 as of 3 days ago' date=' my home was broken into and they took the guitar. It was a guitar that my buddy had before he died at an early age. I purchased it from his wife so I could have one of his instruments. Very sentimental. My ES-347 was exactly like the one posted, blond. But mine had a switch on the lower horn. Glad I have renter insurance and I am hoping to find one just like mine. It is hard to adjust to the loss of a guitar, ES-347's are beautiful guitars.[/quote']

[angry][biggrin][crying]

That is a very sad thing to happen , I realize that your post was awhile ago but I read through the posts and

Vintage Guitar

http://www.vintageguitar.com (free registration for online use) they publish in a early section of the magazine of stolen gear and any info available (serial number, make, model, any modifications, etc and if a police report is on file give them that info (what Police Dept to contact and phone number and anyone in particular that is a contact there and you can include your name and phone as well (I would under "about us" in the upper left hand corner contact Ward Meeker (editor) a e-mail link will pop up

he will get the info in the Vintage Guitar print version and subscribers can put a free 50 word ad in the back referancing stolen gear as well. I wish you the best in finding the guitar and ? put no ? asked upon return may help or reward offered. depends

The band The Pixies had a trailer of gear stolen and so did Iggy Popp and Vintage Guitar published all the info they provided

Peter Buck of R.E.M. had his Rickenbacker grabbed off the stage in ? Denmark or Norway and it was returned after ads were posted no questions asked upon return, guess it was the Rick he had used forr most of R.E.M.'s recordings and tours (it was black) Suprises do happen, I insure my gear against theft and breakage (after providing receipts , serial numbers etc

under a personal articles Policy with State Farm, no deductable either and reemarkably inexpenive (I have about $5,000 worth of gear insured for about $55.00 annually. I insure what I feel is most valuable and not everything.

My gear never leaves the house either which makes the policy easier to obtain, pro use is difficult

This is a new screen name I could not log in, requested password resend never got it after 5 attemps so re registered

Peace and Hope

TheHilldwellers

[blush]

• 2 weeks later...

1151499003_l.jpg

This is a 1982 Gibson ES-347, I was told it was a Custom Shop guitar, but didn't get any paperwork with it. Bought it about 9 years ago. Looks similar to artmaker's last pic. Would appreciate any info that can be given. Can't seem to find any info about this guitar in this color.

It's a little dirty in this pic, i'll post a better one when i have a chance.

Hey dROK83,

I got this about 4 years ago from Buzzy Levine at Larkstreet Music who I know is a reputable dealer. I was curious about the sunburst finish that I had never seen before on a 347 but couldn't get much info. He said he hadn't seen too many but that the finish was original. The guitar is in pristine condition so I count myself fortunate to get a rare example of such a fine instrument. It is fantastic for blues and jazz especially run through my '65 Fender Showman 15.

DSC00336.jpg

yeah, i love the guitar too. sounds great, and plays wonderfully. I'm in the process of restoring mine a little, a lot of the gold hardware has started to tarnish so i'm thinking about replacing it. It definitely plays the best outta all my guitars (although it should, it's the most expensive). I play all types of music, from Jazz, Blues, Classic Rock, Metal, and everything sounds good on it.

• 2 weeks later...

index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=119712497&albumID=721984&imageID=46946361

Yep, the ES 347 is a beauty.

I stumbled on mine in Stamford CT. At Daddy's Junky Music while looking for a jazz electric. They didn't have what I was looking for but the manager from Orange happened to be working there and told me he had this cherry sunburst 347 up at his store and if I wanted he would send it down for me to check out. He did, and I did and after some thinking about whether I wanted a cherry sunburst (not my favorite finish...but I love this one!) and a little haggling I picked it up for 800 ducats. It appears to have had something done as there is a third switch on mine and also the tuning pegs seem to have been changed at one time because there are holes showing, but they look original now. I'll have to look for that pic. The serial number on the label inside the guitar reads 91530312 and identifies the guitar as a ES-347-S

I named her Josephine...'Hey Joe' for short, hehe

But meanwhile here is the one picture I have and the e-mail I got from Gibson about it:

JD,

Thanks for writing. This serial number comes up as a 1990 ES-347 in heritage cherry sunburst with gold hardware. This finish wasn't a regular production color, so it was considered a "special run." The switches are most likely aftermarket, as the ES-347 didn't call for those switches. As for the tuners, if you can send a pic of the back of the headstock we may be able to tell what tuners were originally installed. Thanks again for writing.

Best Regards,

Blake Howard

Gibson Customer Service

1-800-4GIBSON

JOSEPHINE

Don't know why my pics won't show up here, but here's the link:P

Truly is a Red Headed Step Child:)

I have a question about another 'red-headed stepchild' semi hollow thin bodied Gibson. There was one that looked a lot like a Lucille in that it was the 335-ish shape but with no F-holes. I think I remember Steve Howe playing one back in the late '80's. A guy had one at a jam I attended a while back and he swapped guitar-for-bass with me for a couple of songs. I loved that thing. I want one like it but don't even know the name for sure to look for it. He said it was an "ES-Artist' but when I looked that up I got something very different.

What was it and where can I get one?

Edit: I looked around again and apparently the guitar that came up in the ES Artist image search the first time was an RD Artist. The one I want really is an ES Artist.

I just picked up a used ES 347. I think it's a fantastic guitar. I'm glad I found this thread as I can't find much about these. I guess they're fairly rare. I think this one is from 1990. The TP6 was replaced with a stop tailpiece, but I do have the TP6 if I want to use it. Did all of these come with the Dirty Fingers pups? I hope to get some better pictures this weekend. If I do, I'll post them.

DSC_0102_LR.jpg

• 1 month later...

I forgot I promised new pics earlier. This one came with 57 classics from the factory. I think they started doing this in 1990. I wasn't sure about the Dirty Fingers being in this one, they just didn't sound like them.

DSC_0116_LR.jpg

DSC_0108_LR.jpg