Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson ES 347 - The Red-Headed Stepchild of the Gibson Line?

Hoya

I have a 1979 "Road warrior" It's been gigged, used hard, pups and frets replaced has finish checking, buckle rash, git hanger marks and some other general ugliness and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Edited by gnappi

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

My love was my 78 347 ES Artist, Studio Edition with active electronics. Sunburst, brass nut and all. Sustain was unreal and the tone, Lucille can’t match. Especially loved the tune-o-matic  bridge for fine tune during play. Lost it in the early 80s (sigh) have never seen another one and can find no info on the Studio Edition. Any leads y’all?

1 hour ago, ByDdon said:

My love was my 78 347 ES Artist, Studio Edition with active electronics. Sunburst, brass nut and all. Sustain was unreal and the tone, Lucille can’t match. Especially loved the tune-o-matic  bridge for fine tune during play. Lost it in the early 80s (sigh) have never seen another one and can find no info on the Studio Edition. Any leads y’all?

https://www.es-335.com/2012/07/09/es-artist/

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hey everyone,

Nice to find a community of people who appreciate this (slightly rare) guitar.

Mine is a black 1987 Gibson ES-347. Plays beautifully, such a unique guitar, and beautiful to look at. 😉

I love the coil tap switch and the tone versatility you can get from it. I made a couple of changes when I first got it (Lollar Imperial pickups, hardstop tailpiece) but kept the original parts. Here's a picture.

87GibsonES-347s-LR.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ActionEcologist said:

On the label inside under the serial # is written "ES-347 s" I was wondering if anyone here knows what the "s" means? Is that different from a 'TD'? 🤔  

Answered my own question as just after posting, I found this forum link (not sure why it didn't come up before when I tried to find out about this).. turns out the "S" means 'Special Order'. Not sure if that's due to the colour (which seems uncommon) or something else.. I notice that the truss rod cover is gold instead of the usual labelled black one, but otherwise I'm not sure. 
Good to finally find out what the S means however... had the guitar since 2015 and was never sure. 😅  

• 5 months later...

The coil tap switch was special order, it was an "option"  hence the "s".

Originally, the ES347 was $12 more than the ES-335, and that was because of the upgraded neck, which had a bound peghead,  larger block inlay position markers, ebony fretboard..   Basically, it was a deluxe version of the ES-335 dot.  At one point, they added the fine tuner stop tailpiece. The body seems to identical to an ES335, but  has nicer  figuring of the veneers. Think of it as what the L4CES  is to the ES-175, an upgraded version.

Edited by jmendoza

• 1 year later...
On 8/1/2022 at 10:36 PM, jmendoza said:

The coil tap switch was special order, it was an "option"  hence the "s".

Originally, the ES347 was $12 more than the ES-335, and that was because of the upgraded neck, which had a bound peghead,  larger block inlay position markers, ebony fretboard..   Basically, it was a deluxe version of the ES-335 dot.  At one point, they added the fine tuner stop tailpiece. The body seems to identical to an ES335, but  has nicer  figuring of the veneers. Think of it as what the L4CES  is to the ES-175, an upgraded version.

I've had a 347 for prolly over 10yrs at this point. Checked the pups 10yrs ago.. from what I remember dirty fingers from around '90 putting the guitar around then. Serial hard to read from what I remember, will take a pic when I get to studio, looks like it was re-fin'ed ebony and prolly by Gibson as it  says 'FOR PROMOTIONAL USE ONLY NOT FOR RESALE' clearly stamped over refin (if it is)

I found 'ur post interesting but I did do research on it 10yrs ago and, after memories starting coming back then had doubts in the last part of your post when you said they added the TP6.. as far as I remember TP6 was always part of the 347.. and also I'm not sure how much I agree with 'deluxe version of the 335 dot' so would appreciate some links to references on that point. To be clear, mine now has had a gold stoptail added at some point and I think I remember checking and the sustain sisters maybe gone (although it weighs prolly 10lb plus so maybe not, she's a heavy ***** but great in bed lol), and has a bone or plastic nut (which could be original)

Myself.. eclectic musical tastes but huge B.B. fan.. real easy to get his tones on this geetar.. tried a lucille once and wasn't really impressed (although it was post 2000 model I seem to remember and not custom shop either - never tried one of those)

Not so many 347 threads around so no bad feeling for extending this ad-finitum - interesting thread 👍