Gibson Brands Forums

ATTN: Gibson Custom (and beyond)...50th Ann. SG "reissue" upgrade...what's it gonna' be?

hbomb76

This is pretty much a repost of my recent post in the USA section, but since it applies to either USA OR Custom divisions it's valid:

I've been floating in the ether (plus I had lots of trouble logging in to this forum) for quite a while, awaiting the announcement of the definitive, truly accurate early/mid-60's SG Standard "reissue" to celebrate the model's official release 50 years ago. While there have been some (and I honestly think this) fairly decent new SG's announced, such as the 24-fret model, the 12-string and the 60's "tribute" there still hasn't been so much as a whisper about correcting the cosmetic inaccuracies on the Historic/Custom Shop SG's to make them truly "reissues", and I'm a bit disappointed. Now, I find myself in a quagmire, because on one hand I have a certain amount of faith (although it is beginning to dwindle) that Gibson's got some good stuff still to come soon ('61 RI w/Maestro again? Corrected body specs on the Historics?); on the other hand I have been blessed with an opportunity to buy a '64 Standard in very nice condition and almost entirely original (one pickup is buggy, changed tuners--no biggie, and a couple changed plastic parts...I have all the parts to make it "right", and the tuners are newer Gibsons anyhow, so I'd probably just leave 'em as-is) all for, and I can't believe it either, literally only a couple hundred dollars more than I'd pay for an off-the-shelf VOS model (thankfully I know the owner and have been offered this opportunity exclusively). I know a lot of people would naturally just say "go vintage" and be done with it, but honestly I wanted a new one I could break in over time myself. However, if Gibson has no plans to give the SG its due soon, I'll just go ahead and buy the '64. Any way of getting an "official" word on this soon? I only have a couple days to tell this guy whether or not I'm buying before he puts it on Craigslist or eBay, and then I know it'll be snatched up and gone. I guess if no one replies to me in a couple days I know what I'll do (and yes, I will most certainly post many, many photos to slowly work the salt in).

Step up, Gibson, am I going to be able to get a REAL reissue or not? The clock is ticking, and I know you guys are reading this. Shoot, private message me if you want and I'll gag anything you tell me in total confidentiality. Restore my confidence guys.

H

Guest Farnsbarns Wunterslausche

Have you tried emailing or calling them? I realise that you probably wont get an answer on an, as yet, unannounced reissue that you are speculating might be around the corner but I'm pretty sure you are more likely to get an answer that way than on this forum which might be read by a mod who isn't privy to such information, or, just maybe a CS rep who probably isn't either.

You might be better in the ask henry forum but really, I don't think they are going to give you the answer, I know I wouldn't give out info about unannounced future models if it were me.

Have you tried emailing or calling them? I realise that you probably wont get an answer on an, as yet, unannounced reissue that you are speculating might be around the corner but I'm pretty sure you are more likely to get an answer that way than on this forum which might be read by a mod who isn't privy to such information, or, just maybe a CS rep who probably isn't either.

You might be better in the ask henry forum but really, I don't think they are going to give you the answer, I know I wouldn't give out info about unannounced future models if it were me.

You ever tried calling them? Better yet, when you DO get a person on the phone, the likelihood that they even know squat about the guitar in question is nil. Wasn't always the case. A little over a decade ago, they surprised us a few times with out-of-the-blue announcements on some pretty cool guitars that mysteriously disappeared and were replaced by more expensive, less-authentic models.

Unfortunately, Henry has neglected to be active on his own forum for a good little while now, for whatever reason, and actually that's the first place I posted. However, if he's not active in the forum, he's not seeing them. But I know there are R&D people who notice what goes on here in these forums, so I brought my plight back to the people's forums.

Even a vague, yet encouraging "you will be very pleased with something to be announced very soon" from an educated individual who has read and understands where I'm coming from would be acceptable. No actual information is necessary, as long as it's not a lie---er----a "misrepresentation" like the "historically accurate" claims on the introduction of the Historic SG/LP Standard "reissue" back when they were introduced a decade ago. And if you were in their position, that wouldn't affect anything, aside from actually INCREASING anticipation and excitement about something they will find out soon. Pavlov, ring the bell and the dogs will drool. :P

H

NOTE TO "CUSTOM SHOP" R&D:

Here's my newly-acquired '65 SG Standard. This is how the horns on the "reissues" ought to be tapered to go with the beveling (and yes, it's the same tip-thickness as my 2001 USA '61 Reissue, which I believe you're still tapering to that spec, so you CAN do it!):

100_5269.jpg

100_5270.jpg

and lastly, the comparison (top to bottom: '65 Standard, 2001 USA '61 RI, Custom Shop/Historic Standard...and mine's tips are actually better tapered than off-the-shelf, so if you can see it here, wellllll.......):

3horncomparisons2.jpg

Do 'em right and I'll be back to buying "new" Gibsons. Deal? :)

H

Congrats!

Exactly how do the bevels differ on the CS SG? What year is yours? I have a 2008 and always thought the bevels looked great. Opinions?

SGVOS074.jpg

Bevels are decent on them, not quite placed the same as the originals, but still acceptable although they'd be a little better if they dug at little deeper angle into the horns towards the tips (note that the vintage ones have strong, deep beveling all the way to the points). My biggest complaint if you'll note is the lack of period-accurate tapering on the BODY thickness at the horn-tips (which on the CS/Historic, there really is a disturbing LACK of much at all). The photo you posted does show the decent beveling, but note how much edgy, flat surface exists on the inside of the horns between the bevel and the rear edge of the guitar. The body really should be just 3/4 of an inch or so thick at the tip of the upper horn, shaved at an angle on the guitar's back, gradually reaching the full body thickness just past the neck joint. If they tapered the horn tips like they've done on the USA '61 Reissue since late 1999 but kept the bevels in place like the "normal" Historics have, it'd have a much less slabby or "machined" edgy appearance. Google images of a bunch of '61 through '65 models and you'll eventually come across some good angled photos similar to the one you posted of the CS model that show you clearly what I'm talking about.

I know some people don't pay it much mind (people who have never seen a 60's model in person often are clueless and could care less), while others are irked about it like I am. In a world where 100ths of inches differences in binding and cavity drill-bit sizes are debated in the Historic LP's (that's how close they are, that it's down to REALLY minute details...wow), I think this is a very relevant cosmetic and aesthetic fix the SG's need very badly. Every thing else other than that, the sometimes-too-short lower horn on some I've seen coming out of Nashville and the lousy gimmick finishes (instead of the high-quality, more durable and more attractive finishes of the Kalamazoo days) are the only real complaints on the model. AND they'd be really easy fixes that would really make the "reissues" live up to their name. :)

H

Congrats!

Exactly how do the bevels differ on the CS SG? What year is yours? I have a 2008 and always thought the bevels looked great. Opinions?

SGVOS074.jpg

R9,

Had a few minutes, and to give you an idea, I VERY crudely modified your photo to give you an idea of how the Historic/CS models' tips should look from this angle. It's not perfect, but it gives you a little bit of an idea. It's not a huge change, but it does make a noticable difference. Here's the edited photo:

reworked08VOS.jpg

H

R9,

Had a few minutes, and to give you an idea, I VERY crudely modified your photo to give you an idea of how the Historic/CS models' tips should look from this angle. It's not perfect, but it gives you a little bit of an idea. It's not a huge change, but it does make a noticable difference. Here's the edited photo:

reworked08VOS.jpg

H

PS...I forgot to mention, mine was made in 2002, and I had to custom order it in non-faded Cherry (and my '65 is unfaded, almost the identical color...this is how they SHOULD be done color-wise...at least the option anyway), plus I had them pay a little more attention to the tapering. So it's maybe close to an 1/8 of an inch better than the off-the-shelf CS/Historics, but still not "just right". Wouldn't take much to get 'em right, if they really wanted to fly that customer satisfaction flag a little bit. ;)

Archived