Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Traditional Plus Honeyburst or ES -359

Kineman Karma

Hi all,

Well I know it sounds greedy but I have to seriously consider this to be my final purchase before the missus and I buy a house pretty soon.

I just wanted your opinions as to which one you would buy.

I already know all of the spec differences etc between these two, so that's all considered.

which one? Les Paul Traditional Plus in Honeyburst finish or ES-359 CUSTOM.

Cheers [biggrin]

I considered a similar duo of instruments, being the LP traditional plus and the ES-339. I ultimately went with the LP Traditional Plus in Iced Tea. If you have a LP already, buy the other to have something different. Otherwise, I personally would choose the Les Paul. ;) Best playing/looking/sounding guitar overall I have EVER played.

If you already own Les Pauls, I'd say get a hollowbody..so the 359 it is!!

Just make sure you get it set up properly once it arrives, well set up 359s can beat the crap out of Trads...my cousin's 359 is a pretty good example

Looking at you instrument list - a semi/hollow body will round out your collection. 359. B)

ohh tough choice but that's what I am thinking.

I agree that it would add to my tone arsenal of what I don't have. lol that could be a lot though [razz]

hmmmmmm Tradintional??? I have a Les Paul Custom 1973 already set up like a Trad Pro, I now have the Les Paul 60's Tribute but no straight up humbucker LP..

On the other hand I don't have a hollowbody Gibbo? hence ES-359.....

Damnnn tough choice. [angry]

The 359 is a nice guitar. It plays great and feels good in your hands. If you don't have a semi-hollow in your arsenal I would go with the 359.

I love mine and play it all of the time. I also have a nice LP and I play it a lot also. Tough call, I am glad it is your call.

Tough call. I have an Ice Tea Traditional Plus that is fantastic, but I keep hearing an ES 339 calling my name... there it is again, do you hear it?

I believe it's the sales rep at Guitar Center calling to say one just came in and he's holding it for you.

I have the same LP Trad Plus in Ice Tea and that's how I got it last year. My sales guy knew I wanted one, but he didn't

have one in stock. One "just showed up" he said, and he called me. But then there was another voice I heard. It was

a female's voice, asking, "which one of your other guitars will you be selling if you get that"?

G'day everybody, well after speaking further on this subject with my dealer at my local GC.

Taking into account the massive financial difference and Width and Length dimensions of the 359 up against the LPT I found that the 359 even though hollow body, are very similar in dimensions.

So!! today I pickup up and jammed on a Gloss Figured Cherry ES-335 dot. What a beast!!..

Everything about this wonderful guitar ooooozzed difference to what I already have as a guitar tone arsenal.

So it maywell just be my decision to purchase the ES-335. I will let ya's know.

ps what do ya's think of the 335?

Picture? Good call on the 335.

I fogot the 359 is a dressed up 339. I've heard

others say they sound fairly close to their Les

Pauls - but maybe a little lighter in weight.

If I had the funds, I would have probably gone the

335 route too when I bought my Sheraton. Particularily,

the 335 VOS with a 50's neck and sunburst finish. But

there's a vast difference in price. $400 used MIK Sheraton

vs. $4,000 VOS 335.

Enjoy it.

Picture? Good call on the 335.

I fogot the 359 is a dressed up 339. I've heard

others say they sound fairly close to their Les

Pauls - but maybe a little lighter in weight.

If I had the funds, I would have probably gone the

335 route too when I bought my Sheraton. Particularily,

the 335 VOS with a 50's neck and sunburst finish. But

there's a vast difference in price. $400 used MIK Sheraton

vs. $4,000 VOS 335.

Enjoy it.

Thank You Sir [biggrin] I think the ES-335 dot Figured Gloss Cherry finish will be my final call on this subject.

I will definately know at the completion of this weekend.

I think you need to consider the 335, the most played Gibson by the most revered players in the pantheons of western music. It's my next, and it'll sit beautifully next to my LP Traditional. Now, I'm just considering wether or not I want the Birdseye Maple version, or the Natural Antique version, or the run of the mill sunburst, light burst, etc. ES335 is where it's at!

Archived