Gibson Brands Forums

Good Lord, what a mess.

jannusguy2

No Serial,...Southern Jumbo inlays, Estate sale, dodgy paint job! Hmmmmmmm,...smells to me like a 汉字 漢字 汉字 漢字!!!!!!!

[flapper]

Wrong finish, wrong pickguard, etc. I wouldn't buy it without a first-hand look at it inside and out, that's for sure.

"....Original Vintage Sunburst finish is awesome..."

[sneaky]

Not a chance.

Unless they mean 'original' as in no one else thought it up. But definitely not Gibson OEM.

Somebody report this guy. I'm a bit tied up.

The more closely I look at it, the more I'm leaning towards fake, not just a really bad re-finish. There appear to be virtually no signs of wear, for starters. In addition, despite the horrendous burst finish, someone has gone to the trouble of masking the rosette prior to spraying the 'burst. That degree of care is inconsistent with the truly bad "paint job". And I do mean "paint job".

Granted, a lot of things can happen to a guitar over that period of time, but I'd have to see this puppy in the flesh to believe that it's real. Another thing that seems odd is that the fretboard appears to be set dead flat on the top of the guitar--no neck angle relative to the top. All in all, a lot of strange things are going on here that need to be explained.

The more closely I look at it, the more I'm leaning towards fake, not just a really bad re-finish. There appear to be virtually no signs of wear, for starters. In addition, despite the horrendous burst finish, someone has gone to the trouble of masking the rosette prior to spraying the 'burst. That degree of care is inconsistent with the truly bad "paint job". And I do mean "paint job".

Granted, a lot of things can happen to a guitar over that period of time, but I'd have to see this puppy in the flesh to believe that it's real. Another thing that seems odd is that the fretboard appears to be set dead flat on the top of the guitar--no neck angle relative to the top. All in all, a lot of strange things are going on here that need to be explained.

Blowing up the neck photo, there may be a tiny amount of neck angle. I'm still a doubter without having it in front of me to inspect.

"Don't even bother trusting: verify!" (with apologies to R. Reagan)

I'd be really curious as to how he has identified that as a '53. You can only do that with a FON and/or serial number with any certainty. It seems likely that any honest person who knows enough to do that would also understand that this ain't the orginal finish.

It looks as if they used the Martin CEO 4 paint-by-number sunburst....

ceo4rfront-1.jpg

...as a model for the 'burst finish on that poor guitar!

Yikes.

Sorry if we offended you with the comments on the 'burst. [unsure] We aren't anti-Martin here: I've just never seen a 'burst that looks like this.

Or as the original copy probably read: 'Original vintage Gibson sunburst finish is awesome. Unfortunately this guitar's finish is neither original, nor vintage, nor Gibson, nor awesome. One out of five ain't bad'. I imagine that the seller's significant other proof-read it and suggested some changes to make the sale more likely. Strictly speaking the remaining claim is in no way false. It doesn't say that the comment pertains to this particular guitar's finish...

Guest WiseAxe

Yes. Gibson owners are spoiled when it comes to sunbursts. Martin just doesn't get it. They

should stick to what they do best.

Yes. Gibson owners are spoiled when it comes to sunbursts. Martin just doesn't get it. They

should stick to what they do best.

On the other hand, there are always those cherry burst Gibsons, including J-45s from the late 60s. Sorry, but they're an acquired taste in my book. [tongue]

Sorry if we offended you with the comments on the 'burst. [unsure] We aren't anti-Martin here: I've just never seen a 'burst that looks like this.

Huh? I wasn't offended about any comments on the eBay posting guitar. I was just noticing that, in a drunken stuupor kind of way, the thing resembled the CEO 4 bursts of a few years ago. No offense here! [biggrin]

Fred

Archived