Gibson Brands Forums

Help - buzzing amp.

My Traynor YCV40 seems to have an issue with buzzing when you play certain notes/postions on the fretboard - mostly G & D notes. It happens as the played note decays. I put it through an extension cabinet and the buzz is gone, so it must be an issue with something loose in the amp, amp cabinet, or speaker.

I have checked the speaker mount, the spring clamps that hold the two 6L6GC tubes, the control knobs, the cabinet screws, and anything else that is accessible without going inside the head. I guess that is my next step and I'll check the 12AX7 mounts, etc.

I am raising this post just in case anyone on the forum has had a past problem with an elusive buzz at certain playing frequencies and managed to solve the problem. It might narrow down the search. Any thoughts appreciated.

StewartB

I have had this happen before: check the obvious, like screws being tight on the back panel(s), amp hamdle, ect.

It could be a tube as well, but I think you are on the right track.

Thanks, will do so.

Guest Farnsbarns Wunterslausche

You're probably right about it being in the speaker cab but don't rule out a microphonic valve. Using an extension cab would also stop a buzz from that too.

You're probably right about it being in the speaker cab but don't rule out a microphonic valve.

Nor rule out a valve with "filament rattle" - had this problem on the used VJ I bought back when ... drove me crazy, as it only happened on certain notes ...turns out it was the filaments in the tube rattlin' ..... I SWORE it was something in the cab/chassis rattling (well, yeah, it was something in there but it sounded more like a loose screw/bolt/fastener, something.... new tubes solved it (have had microphonic tubes as well before, but they sound different than filaments rattling. Heck, the local mom'n'pop shop sold me 2 consecutive tubes that were bad out of the box - microphonic - they replaced them no problem, but couldn't believe it (they were Fender branded whatever tubes, fwiw).

AND, on a totally unrelated note, my local music/guitar stores (GC is not worth driving the distance) stock next to nothing in tubes....wanted to try a few different pre-amp tubes, they had nothing other than what came stock. Interestiingly, a local pawn shop - has a large instrument/amp area - stocks new tubes and strings, had what I needed, ....well, what I wanted. Go figure...

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I think the microphonic tube theory is the next thing to check out. I have several spares and will go through a process of swapping them out. One thing I didn't say before that might point to the "tube theory" is that the noise often doesn't occur immediately, but usually happens after a few minutes of playing.

StewartB

Archived