Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Masterbuilt and Gibson

brannon67

Based on what I have experienced going out guitar shopping with friends over the years, the AJ500M is a good guitar and has a great voice in its own right. But the Epi and the J-45 still differ in some significant ways and each has its own feel and voice. The both sport different finishes which will have some effect on sound. The Gibson, of course, has a shorter scale which reduces string tension a bit which does effect playability and sound. Probably most of the difference is due to the bracing found in each guitar. While both have scalloped X bracing - the Epi does not have the same forward shifted bracing the Bozeman-made Gibsons do. To my ears, a good J-45 (the sound on these things is all over the place) has a more direct attack and more cut and ring than the Epi. Maybe it is because I play with my fingers but possibly the biggest difference I have noticed is that while the Epi has more than its fair share of bass and low end presence, it still has an overall softer attack than what you hear with the J-45.

Where I think the Epi might actually do a better job than a J-45 is how it sounds strummed with heavy guage strings. The notes do not decay as fast with the Epi as they do with the Gibson.

I would have to say that the AJ500M is a whole lotta guitar for the bucks and without a doubt gives off a J-45 vibe. The ones I played were loud and well balanced and all seemed to be very well made.

Based on what I have experienced going out guitar shopping with friends over the years, the AJ500M is a good guitar and has a great voice in its own right. But the Epi and the J-45 still differ in some significant ways and each has its own feel and voice. The both sport different finishes which will have some effect on sound. The Gibson, of course, has a shorter scale which reduces string tension a bit which does effect playability and sound. Probably most of the difference is due to the bracing found in each guitar. While both have scalloped X bracing - the Epi does not have the same forward shifted bracing the Bozeman-made Gibsons do. To my ears, a good J-45 (the sound on these things is all over the place) has a more direct attack and more cut and ring than the Epi. Maybe it is because I play with my fingers but possibly the biggest difference I have noticed is that while the Epi has more than its fair share of bass and low end presence, it still has an overall softer attack than what you hear with the J-45.

Where I think the Epi might actually do a better job than a J-45 is how it sounds strummed with heavy guage strings. The notes do not decay as fast with the Epi as they do with the Gibson.

I would have to say that the AJ500M is a whole lotta guitar for the bucks and without a doubt gives off a J-45 vibe. The ones I played were loud and well balanced and all seemed to be very well made.

Well said.

I only wish the Masterbilt's offered (at least), a Gloss Finish!

Even if it was at a surcharge. It would still be nice, to have

the choice/option. Matte "sunbursts" just look..."wrong," to me. LOL

The Naturals, are better/nicer in Matte, but it sure would be great to

have "Gloss," as an option!

The gloss finish, on my ("natural") Inspired by '65 Texan, is awesome. It's not a "Masterbilt," but still a very, very, nice guitar.

CB

CB, they have been available with a gloss finish for a couple of years. Natural only--no bursts.

Red 333

Really??! Well, I Learn something every day! I've never seen a "glossy" Masterbilt.

All the ones, in the shops around here, are Matte finish. And, Why...only

"Naturals" for a gloss finish?! That seems...Very Strange... ;>b

CB

Really??! Well, I Learn something every day! I've never seen a "glossy" Masterbilt.

All the ones, in the shops around here, are Matte finish. And, Why...only

"Naturals" for a gloss finish?! That seems...Very Strange... ;>b

CB

I don't think they make any sunburst Masterbilts anymore, CB. I *think* the burst was only offered on one or two models, anyway, and for a very short time.

I have an AJ500R with a burst. Like you, I just couldn't get past the effect the matte finish had on it. I used some polishing compound to give it a light sheen. I don't like the matte burst on the Dot Studio, either.

Speaking of the Dot Studio, I saw one with the new natural (maple I presume) top and matte finish. What a looker for very few bucks.

Red 333

Funny. It seems to me Epi had it right at first and then screwed the Pooch with the AJ500M & ME.

I have an early AJ500Me , and love the satin, VS finish.

However, the most important feature is the Baggs Element pickup. I think it's far superior to the eSonic.

Now, that they are no longer offered, it seems everybody wants the VS finish. Maybe a write-in campaign.

I don't think they make any sunburst Masterbilts anymore, CB. I *think* the burst was only offered on one or two models, anyway, and for a very short time.

I have an AJ500R with a burst. Like you, I just couldn't get past the effect the matte finish had on it. I used some polishing compound to give it a light sheen. I don't like the matte burst on the Dot Studio, either.

Speaking of the Dot Studio, I saw one with the new natural (maple I presume) top and matte finish. What a looker for very few bucks.

Red 333

The new DR-500MCE cutaway is offered in gloss natural or gloss sunburst. No matte available. My brother has the natural and it looks great!

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Masterbilt-DR500MCE-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=423559

Funny. It seems to me Epi had it right at first and then screwed the Pooch with the AJ500M & ME.

I have an early AJ500Me , and love the satin, VS finish.

However, the most important feature is the Baggs Element pickup. I think it's far superior to the eSonic.

Now, that they are no longer offered, it seems everybody wants the VS finish. Maybe a write-in campaign.

ya I wanted that model but when I couldn't find one (new or used) I bought a non-electric VS and added the Element just a few months ago. It sounds heavenly!

The new DR-500MCE cutaway is offered in gloss natural or gloss sunburst. No matte available. My brother has the natural and it looks great!

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Masterbilt-DR500MCE-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=423559

That's right, there is now a sunburst Masterbilt (again). I think you told me that once before, too! D'oh!

These are really nice...I had a chance to sample the DR-500MCE-VS and the EF-500RCCE Finger Style Natural/Matte - And I agree seeing them side by side the Gloss just looked much nicer to me (not that the EF500 is anything to sneeze at). My primary interest was the EF500 with the 1.75 nut width - Then the DR500 was introduced in VS and a 1.725 nut and there was no turning back. So I treated myself on by birthday back in February and ordered the DR-500MCE-VS at GC and was told 60-90 days...Today is 120 days later and still waiting. 3 weeks ago they told me it as going through customs and should be here in 2-3 weeks.

These are really nice...I had a chance to sample the DR-500MCE-VS and the EF-500RCCE Finger Style Natural/Matte - And I agree seeing them side by side the Gloss just looked much nicer to me (not that the EF500 is anything to sneeze at). My primary interest was the EF500 with the 1.75 nut width - Then the DR500 was introduced in VS and a 1.725 nut and there was no turning back. So I treated myself on by birthday back in February and ordered the DR-500MCE-VS at GC and was told 60-90 days...Today is 120 days later and still waiting. 3 weeks ago they told me it as going through customs and should be here in 2-3 weeks.

ya it took ages for musicians friend to even show it as an option, even though they had pics of it. My bro got the natural one, I've been thinking about getting the sunburst one too now though! Hope it gets here soon for you, it's a great guitar!

So I treated myself on by birthday back in February and ordered the DR-500MCE-VS at GC and was told 60-90 days...Today is 120 days later and still waiting. 3 weeks ago they told me it as going through customs and should be here in 2-3 weeks.

about a month ago I ordered a DR-500MCE VS from GC and it was on backorder for less than a week. It took about a week after that for it to be shipped to them. So.... from the time I ordered, it took about 2 weeks until I had it in my hands. Its the guitar I have as my avatar. Great guitar

about a month ago I ordered a DR-500MCE VS from GC and it was on backorder for less than a week. It took about a week after that for it to be shipped to them. So.... from the time I ordered, it took about 2 weeks until I had it in my hands. Its the guitar I have as my avatar. Great guitar

give us more pics dude!!

I have had the DR500MCE for a while now so the "new girlfriend syndrome" has worn off. This is simply a great guitar. I have a Breedlove that I paid 2000.00 for and I still grab the Epi first. When it was finally released from Epi, they didn't even talk about or have any pics of the natural version, only the VS. Then you go to GC or check the MF website and no sign of the VS anywhere....only the natural. After several calls to both Gibson and Guitar Center (no need to call Musicians Friend cuz Guitar Center owns them too) I finally found out that originally the Natural was supposed to be a GC/MF exclusive and i was told that by GC/MF that they couldn't order the VS. This made absolutely no sense to me at all other than to get the exclusive on the natural they had to sell a certain number of them, so they were pushing the Natural over the VS. Anyway,I wanted the VS bad enough that I just kept looking and found one at a guitar shop in Denton, Tx. I like the way the VS gloss looks before I play it, but I sweat a lot when I play and I have to keep wiping down my guitar.

PIC_0131.jpg

I have had the DR500MCE for a while now so the "new girlfriend syndrome" has worn off. This is simply a great guitar. I have a Breedlove that I paid 2000.00 for and I still grab the Epi first. When it was finally released from Epi, they didn't even talk about or have any pics of the natural version, only the VS. Then you go to GC or check the MF website and no sign of the VS anywhere....only the natural. After several calls to both Gibson and Guitar Center (no need to call Musicians Friend cuz Guitar Center owns them too) I finally found out that originally the Natural was supposed to be a GC/MF exclusive and i was told that by GC/MF that they couldn't order the VS. This made absolutely no sense to me at all other than to get the exclusive on the natural they had to sell a certain number of them, so they were pushing the Natural over the VS. Anyway,I wanted the VS bad enough that I just kept looking and found one at a guitar shop in Denton, Tx. I like the way the VS gloss looks before I play it, but I sweat a lot when I play and I have to keep wiping down my guitar.

I'm having a very similar issue with GC. I ordered the VSC model on 2/11/2011 as they only had the Natural in stock. I even had to show them that a VS version existed on the internet and gave them the EMECVSNH3 number so they could place the VS order. I was told 30-90 days and here we are nearly 5 months later with no delivery. About a week or so ago I talked to the manager and he said he called Gibson and there is a shipment on the way. He did offer to refund my down payment so I going to give them until July 11 which is the 5 month mark. If nothing by then I will request a refund and walk up to Sam Ash which is about 2 hundred yards away in the same shopping complex and get one off the wall. The only reason I ordered from GC was my wife had given me a gift card for GC...I guess I'll use that to purchase an amp - any suggestions?

Archived