Gibson Brands Forums

Colosi Bridge Pins

BoyVader

Finally swapped out the plastic bridge pins on my Hummingbird for Bob Colosi abalone and bone pins..

I love them... [thumbup] thanks Bob...

Colosi.%20Pins.JPG

Also got a bone saddle but it's just slightly too long...will sand it down and let you know how\if it changes the tone?

Here's the family shot...(before I swapped pins) any excuse!!!

Gibson%20Family.JPG

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice stable BoyVader!!!

...Is it just me or does your Saddle look super high???

[confused]

Might be the angle of the shot? I did take it out to compare with the bone one from Bob, but I'm sure it's back in all good...

Plays fine for me anyway...I might check it out now you've mentioned it though... [unsure]

only place i ever buy from. bob is fantastic

Ditto on that. I just put a set of Colosi bone and abalone pins on my 000-28 EC. Brilliant, and look great! End pin, too, of course. Great service, as well.

Just checked the saddle Spotondrums and it's seated correctly...now I have to put the strings back.. ](*,)

Might take the new bone one down a little lower, but the action is already nice and I like to play a little bit of slide so won't go super low...

Mr Colosi does most excellent work! Welcome to the 'Bob' side! I'm a fan of elephant ivory for its appearance in pins and it's mellow tone in the saddle. It is softer than bone or walrus ivory and quiets a zingy high end.

Ivory is illegal here in Oz..I think it's the same for most places outside the U.S. so that's why I went with the bone..

Now Spotondrums has got me paranoid about my saddle height, can people post pics of theirs? Be good to compare a few...if anyone with a recent 'Bird can post theirs, that would be great.

Now Spotondrums has got me paranoid about my saddle height, can people post pics of theirs? Be good to compare a few

No worry. Saddle heights vary greatly depending on neck set angle and player preference. If your action is where you like it then the saddle is good.

Now Spotondrums has got me paranoid about my saddle height, can people post pics of theirs? Be good to compare a few...if anyone with a recent 'Bird can post theirs, that would be great.

..Nothing to worry about if your action is how you like it. Remember.....all Gibsons are different and due to the wood naturally moving (...slight bellying, etc.) the saddle heights will all differ. The More saddle generally the better as you have more room to play with!!! Yours just appeared higher than I have seen on a Gibson in a long time!!!

You just have a very flat flattop BoyVader!!!!!

[thumbup]

Thanks guys...

Think I'm getting a bit obsessed with my guitars!!! :unsure:

This is my first Gibson acoustic and I've read lot's of different stories about how the wood moves and changes etc...

I even tuck them up at night under their own quilt on the spare bed at night...

Yeah...I need to get out more... [biggrin]

Mr Colosi does most excellent work! Welcome to the 'Bob' side! I'm a fan of elephant ivory for its appearance in pins and it's mellow tone in the saddle. It is softer than bone or walrus ivory and quiets a zingy high end.

No one anywhere should be using Elephant Ivory. I can't believe trade in animal parts is still popular. If you want to sound better spend your money on lessons.

I'm expecting a set of Bob Colosi's Elephant Ivory pins (with 4mm Abalone inlays) for a Martin "D-45V" with an "Amber Tone" shaded top. I should get them later this week. I learned about Bob's work from Gillian Girl (Hi, Karen...) on this Forum.

All my acoustics now get the Colosi treatment (Ivory pins for "45 Martins", bone for everything else...), and I think his pins can have a very positive impact on, not only a guitar's appearance (that's a "given"...), but also on its tone.

Jack6849

I'm expecting a set of Bob Colosi's Elephant Ivory pins (with 4mm Abalone inlays) for a Martin "D-45V" with an "Amber Tone" shaded top. I should get them later this week. I learned about Bob's work from Gillian Girl (Hi, Karen...) on this Forum.

All my acoustics now get the Colosi treatment (Ivory pins for "45 Martins", bone for everything else...), and I think his pins can have a very positive impact on, not only a guitar's appearance (that's a "given"...), but also on its tone.

Jack6849

Yes...We need to kill another Elephant.... Ivory looks soooooo much better on a guitar than on an Elephant.

No one anywhere should be using Elephant Ivory. .....

I agree.

Except in the case of LEGAL elephant ivory.

A statement from Mr. Colosi's website - - ALL the elephant ivory I use is fully documented and legal to buy, sell and ship within the United States only.

No one anywhere should be using Elephant Ivory. I can't believe trade in animal parts is still popular. If you want to sound better spend your money on lessons.

Relax, Hogeye. We're speaking of legal ivory, sir. Legal ivory is bought & sold worldwide everyday according to laws and regulations established by folks that know of such things. Certainly there is still some poaching and illegal activity in this arena but the same applies to just about any other commodity you can name. You don't use ivory (legal or otherwise) and that's fine with me, but don't condemn legal activities out of hand.

Relax, Hogeye. We're speaking of legal ivory, sir. Legal ivory is bought & sold worldwide everyday according to laws and regulations established by folks that know of such things. Certainly there is still some poaching and illegal activity in this arena but the same applies to just about any other commodity you can name. You don't use ivory (legal or otherwise) and that's fine with me, but don't condemn legal activities out of hand.

I understand the whole issue. There is nothing as simple as "legal" ivory or "estate" ivory. The same issues are being addressed with the tortoise shell picks. If a person doesn't use these products at all then there is no question of the legality. The same is true for all endangered species as well. Be it plant or animal.

Henry was the first to stop using Brazilian Rosewood for the same argument. The country is full of Brazilian that was cut before the ban went into effect. Gibson can buy this wood as well as Martin but they chose not to. It's just a simple matter of social responsibility.

It's just embarrassing to have this argument in this day and age. If you have the need to dress up your guitar then find something that doesn't have to die to further your need. By the way, take your guitar across an International boarder and see what they think of your argument. I don't understand how anyone in the music community can justify Elephant Ivory bridge pins.

I,Sir, am a tree hugger and believe in animal rights. By the way I'm proud of that. Yes I'm an omnivore but I would never eat anything that was endangered or protected. I won't use Elephant Ivory and I won't buy a tortoise shell guitar pick for any reason. Power to the turtles.... I didn't mean to condemn you out of hand I just meant to condemn the "legal" use of Elephant ivory.

Thanks guys...

Think I'm getting a bit obsessed with my guitars!!! :unsure:

This is my first Gibson acoustic and I've read lot's of different stories about how the wood moves and changes etc...[biggrin]

My tip?

- detune and put her in the case over long periods.

[thumbup]

It's just embarrassing to have this argument in this day and age.

You're embarrassed? Really? At being a tree hugger or what? I'm not embarrassed nor ashamed of the elephant ivory pins, nut and saddle on my Gibson guitar. I think they're a beautiful example of the bounty available to us humans as the top of the food chain. I don't think for a minute we should abuse our position as such, but I won't be cajoled by the likes of you into thinking I've done some cosmic wrong by purchasing a legal commodity on the open market. Trees had to die to build whatever guitar(s) you own - feel bad about that? Cows had to die to provide the leather of your shoes and the steak on your plate. Not endangered species, you say. So what, I say. When those that control such things see fit to remove such products from the legal marketplace I'll stop buying them and be fine with it. As it stands now my ivory parts are perfectly legal and I will happily and proudly adorn my guitar with them. And I feel no need to "justify" this to you or any other socially responsible tree hugger. Hug all the trees you want but please refrain from condemning my use of a legal commodity. Thank you.

I think the bevel at the top of the bridge may make it look taller than it actually is. Personally, I consider a tall-ish saddle with good action to be a good thing. It gives you some room to work with over time.

Seeing all these pix reminds me that I need to do a little more work fitting my Colosi pins on my SJ-200. They're sitting just a smidge higher than I'd like.

I have three guitars with Colosi's pins, and I really liked them, besides that I'm also uncomfortable with the idea of pins and saddles made of elephant ivory, legal or illegal, I don't think it's something to sport, because these majestic animals were nearly killed to extinction because of the ivory trade. With calfs it's another story, they are bred and they aren't on the edge of extinction, plus their sacrifice is already decided for alimentary use. I don't have anything against the use of mammoth (fossil ivory) or the walrus Colosi uses, because these materials came from animals that died long time ago.

Of course that's my personal opinion.

Archived