Gibson Brands Forums

Limited Edition? Wildkat (Orange)

Dennis G

Stopped in to my local Best Buy today for some printer cartridges, and of course couldn't leave without strolling through the music dept. Jumping right out of the middle of the displays was an Orange Wildkat.

Got it down, plugged in and played for a while. Sweet. Tag said "Limited Edition". Sales guy wasn't sure why. I've only seen the Wildkat in a natural finish, but this one really, really looked sweet. Played as good as it looked too. Had all I could do to walk out of there without it, but...

Anybody got any info on the Orange availability, etc.?

The Sunrise Orange 'Kat certainly is rather nice - one of the few guitars that can pull off an orange finish. [thumbup]

As for availability, Epiphone Limited Editions aren't usually particularly limited. In fact, I've even seen the orange Kat in a music shop here (New Zealand) and we don't even get half of the standard production models. :rolleyes: You'd be looking at 1000+ made, in most cases.

I see them quite often:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...RK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

...and thanks for the heads up. I have a Wildkat in Natural but am curious about the orange one. I called Best Buy in Richfield, Mn and they also have the custom shop WK in stock. Going to check it out now.

Well, BBY matched the online price of $349 for the orange WK even though that was for a natural, not orange and not custom shop! I didn't pull the switch as I was on my way to pickup an Epi '56 GT Reissue but good to know they'll match online prices. Also, they had a gorgeous quilt top SG but no price tag. The salesman looked and looked for info on a price but couldn't find any. I was in a hurry and asked him to call me when it gets priced. 15 minutes later he quoted me $450 and when I kinda groaned he said I could have it for $399.

I think I just found GC's bricks and mortar competetion.

$(KGrHqF,!jME1JZHyMkzBNfYuq,Plg~~_3.JPG

Stopped in to my local Best Buy today for some printer cartridges, and of course couldn't leave without strolling through the music dept. Jumping right out of the middle of the displays was an Orange Wildkat.

Got it down, plugged in and played for a while. Sweet. Tag said "Limited Edition". Sales guy wasn't sure why. I've only seen the Wildkat in a natural finish, but this one really, really looked sweet. Played as good as it looked too. Had all I could do to walk out of there without it, but...

Anybody got any info on the Orange availability, etc.?

Check out 2006 Guitar of the Month

This is, like, my favourite thread EVER~

100_1095.jpg

100_1094.jpg

They're not made in this colour anymore, but don't let that or the "Limited Edition / Custom Shop" sticker alone sway your opinion.

If you dig the feel, sound, fit, and playability of it, then go for it. The Wildkat is a seriously underrated and underappreciated guitar.

Tons of tone options with those P-90's, and the Bigsby~~~~!

But, I am admittedly biased.... [rolleyes]

Let us know if you pick it up!

I used to have an orange striped cat. But it was, you know, a cat.

I would like to have an orange striped 'Kat someday though :)

Great shots, Pennyman.

Haha ... we have one of those now (actually it's the neighbors' cat, but he now comes and goes from our place - he's an outdoor cat, and "ran away from home" when they got a chocolate lab). I'm definitely of the opinion I'd rather have a W'kat than the neighbor cat - I'm quite sure the guitar's use of electricity would be cheaper than feeding this beast of a cat - he eats CONSTANTLY (then goes out on the farm, stalks, hunts, and comes back for more..... he's a large muscular cat that lives to eat :) ) I intend to score a Wildkat someday/oneday....finances are limited atm, and Mrs D feels one acoustic, one bucker guit (LP) and one single-coil with trem and chambered body (BMG) have my bases pretty well covered....which in all honestly and realistically, yeah....but CURSE that cursed GAS :)

• 2 weeks later...

Let us know if you pick it up!

Okay, update. Went back to the BB a few days later. TO Wildkat wasn't there, salesman (not the same one) was busy with a Mom & Dad & future drummer on some synth drum's. Hmmm...

Went home, emailed Sweetwater rep. Quick response, yep, we can get one from Epi. Long story short, it's due tomorrow. Best part is I just noticed that they're now going for $499 at MF, not the $399 I paid. Woohoo!!

Pix to follow.

Okay, update. Went back to the BB a few days later. TO Wildkat wasn't there, salesman (not the same one) was busy with a Mom & Dad & future drummer on some synth drum's. Hmmm...

Went home, emailed Sweetwater rep. Quick response, yep, we can get one from Epi. Long story short, it's due tomorrow. Best part is I just noticed that they're now going for $499 at MF, not the $399 I paid. Woohoo!!

Pix to follow.

Did you get the Natural or the Orange custom shop--(which means virtually nothing anyway)?

If it's the natural, well, er, umm, check this out:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-EPI-ETBKCB-LIST

They were in stock a couple weeks ago but at this price sold out in about a week. It's a great price but at least you're getting one NOW instead of waiting a month....maybe Sweetwater would price match like Best Buy did.[thumbup] . In any event, happy strumming...it's a very cool guitar and plays wonderfully.

Best part is I just noticed that they're now going for $499 at MF, not the $399 I paid. Woohoo!!

Nicely done. [thumbup]

I paid NZ$1350 for my Prophecy Les Paul the day before the recession, and less than a week later it shot up to $1999. [biggrin]

Okay, picked up the Wildkat earlier today. Looked it over, no apparent flaws, defects, issues, etc. but didn't expect any given my experience with Sweetwater. Only played it a bit just to check things out, but I'm a happy camper so far. Fit, finish, quality, etc. for a $400 guitar is really awesome! [thumbup] Over the next few days, I'll put on new strings, oil the fretboard, general cleanup, etc. to really dial it in. Anybody know if this will fit in an Alleykat hard case?

Here she is:

body.jpg

bodyclose.jpg

Neckjoint.jpg

Back.jpg

HSback.jpg

VERY nice~ What year is it? On mine, (Ulsan, Korea, 2007) the "Custom Shop / Limited Edition" stamp is black, and the Bigsby has the Epiphone "E" on it.

And yes, it will fit into an Alleykat case, they're the same body size. (I just wish I could fine a proper case to go with mine... [unsure] )

Welcome to the 'Klub, and drop us a line after you've had a chance to get to know her a little better~

Okay, picked up the Wildkat earlier today. Looked it over, no apparent flaws, defects, issues, etc. but didn't expect any given my experience with Sweetwater. Only played it a bit just to check things out, but I'm a happy camper so far. Fit, finish, quality, etc. for a $400 guitar is really awesome! [thumbup] Over the next few days, I'll put on new strings, oil the fretboard, general cleanup, etc. to really dial it in. Anybody know if this will fit in an Alleykat hard case?

Wonderful looking guitar Dennis, congratulations, glad you're so happy with it, HNGD.

VERY nice~ What year is it? On mine, (Ulsan, Korea, 2007) the "Custom Shop / Limited Edition" stamp is black, and the Bigsby has the Epiphone "E" on it.

And yes, it will fit into an Alleykat case, they're the same body size. (I just wish I could fine a proper case to go with mine... [unsure] )

Welcome to the 'Klub, and drop us a line after you've had a chance to get to know her a little better~

If I understand the serial # sequence, it was made in Dec, 2010. The Epi E is on the TRC, and the Bigsby says "Bigsby", so some minor differences. Sweet guitar so far!

Thx for the case info & thanks all for the comments and other info. This is a really cool guitar.

congrats on the Wildkat. i've got an Antique Natural myself, and i love it. wonderful guitar:

hope you are just as pleased with your Wildkat

Nice looking! I had pretty much decided that a Wildkat was going to be my next buy, and I had planned on the Natural, but when I saw the TO, it was WOAH! [thumbup]

And yeah, I am loving this thing so far!

• 3 weeks later...

bought mine a few years ago when i decided to get back into playing again. I love it and dedicated LP users have played and loved it too ... I've seen the natural one but it doesn't compare to the orange.

she's a keeper.

and thanks for the tip on the case .. i have mine in a case, but not the proper one. I'll check out the alleycat case.

Archived