Gibson Brands Forums

I give up!!

Dallastx

How are you getting the dents and dings? Is it during playing or are you doing more risky things, like leaning the guitars against walls or amps? I have only dinged 1 guitar in 27 years! :o I am always careful when putting guitars in or taking them out of cases, because if the lid falls down, it could strike the guitar, and those metal latches could really do damage if they strike the top of your guitar! Also, if playing while seated, do not play in chairs with arms, and be careful to not bump the lower bout on the seat. Do not wear shirts with buttons, or belts while playing either. Those dings just don't happen by themselves, something is causing them! Do all of your guitars have the same types of dings in the same general area? If so, there is 1 particular action you are doing that is causing them. Good luck, and hope you don't ding 'em up anymore ! :D

If you're having alcoholic beverages, taking some type of medication, or just plain tired, don't rush when moving the guitar from A to B. Obviously scuffs and dings are likely to result under these circumstances. (Not that any of these issues pertain to you.)

Also, it's my opinion that it's best to keep your Gibby in a case, not on a stand where someone may accidentally knock it off the stand, put a dinger or two on it, and not tell you about it.

I don't trust anyone near my Gibby's; in fact I lock them in a room when I'm not home. I trust my "kids" that are now young adults, but I know that at least on one occasion when I wasn't home, one of my kids wanted to show their friends my guitars. Glad my room was locked.... That's a perfect opportunity for innocent damage to occur to your guitar. I'm happy to have anyone look and play my guitars, but NOT when I'm not home. Once again these issues may not pertain to you.

I'm just trying to provide possibilities for why damage has occurred to your Gibby when you've tried to be careful.

Every stinkin time I get a new guitar I seem to get dents and dings on them. I am very carefull but it happens. I guess it's just the facts of life, but damn!!

I know how you feel Dallastx. I just got a little nick in the headstock of my 339 I got in March. It made me sick. That's one of the reasons I don't like getting new guitars. I have a 25 year old Ovation that's beat, and its so comfortable to play. By comfortable, I mean, I don't care if I bang it on something. I don't care if it's rubbing on my belt buckle.

I know how you feel Dallastx. I just got a little nick in the headstock of my 339 I got in March. It made me sick. That's one of the reasons I don't like getting new guitars. I have a 25 year old Ovation that's beat, and its so comfortable to play. By comfortable, I mean, I don't care if I bang it on something. I don't care if it's rubbing on my belt buckle.

dponzi, Just think, if you keep your 339 for 25 years it will be just as comfortable as your old Ovation. If you're a player, like most of us are, it's inevitable that

one's guitars are going to get dings or scratches. Yeah, they really hurt at first, but like with our own bodies, you have to keep on keepin' on the way you are.

I have an 150th anniversary Martin D-35, that has as many battle scars as my body does, but it plays really sweet. I just had it re-fretted and it plays even better

now (the other scars are still there, though). I got a Gibson CS-336 in March of 2010 (it was made in 2008 according to the date thingy) and it's starting to show

it's wear. If you go out and gig with your guitars, it's going to show. Unless you're just a collector and you keep your guitar in it's case or in a glass showcase

all the time, just using your guitar, even if your just a play at home person, the nicks and dings are bound to happen and lots of times we see some that we say,

how the heck did that get there? [confused] So, Dallastx, take comfort in the fact that you're not alone. Just enjoy your guitar.

dponzi, Just think, if you keep your 339 for 25 years it will be just as comfortable as your old Ovation. If you're a player, like most of us are, it's inevitable that

one's guitars are going to get dings or scratches. Yeah, they really hurt at first, but like with our own bodies, you have to keep on keepin' on the way you are.

I have an 150th anniversary Martin D-35, that has as many battle scars as my body does, but it plays really sweet. I just had it re-fretted and it plays even better

now (the other scars are still there, though). I got a Gibson CS-336 in March of 2010 (it was made in 2008 according to the date thingy) and it's starting to show

it's wear. If you go out and gig with your guitars, it's going to show. Unless you're just a collector and you keep your guitar in it's case or in a glass showcase

all the time, just using your guitar, even if your just a play at home person, the nicks and dings are bound to happen and lots of times we see some that we say,

how the heck did that get there? [confused] So, Dallastx, take comfort in the fact that you're not alone. Just enjoy your guitar.

Thank you. Keeping this guitar in the case is like owning a Corvette and keeping it in the garage. I gotta play it. Whatever happens, happens. Since I'm getting older and my back can't handle my Les Paul or the Tele(My Ash Telecaster is heavy,almost as heavy as the LP) for 5 hours, the SG is a god send. Has the right tones and is perfect for the tunes my band does.

D

i remember my first ding on my SG. the first day i got the damn thing right on the top of the guitar between the jack and stopbar

**** happens dont worry battle scars! the SG body is very soft so it will happen.

My les paul has scratches from gigging but hey its my les paul an i love it battle scars an all

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ya.. I only feel this way if someone else makes it, otherwise I do not care if I make a ding or scratch... it's a story to me.. just another chapter.. and honestly, do you think you can keep a guitar you love to play remaining pristine?

Oh ya...I forgot, shame on anyone who owns a guitar they just store away to never play... guitars are meant to be played.. not stored away in a case.

Remember the classic TV special Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, when they all end up at the island of Misfit toys, the king says, "A toy is never truly happy unless it is loved by a child".. and hence a guitar is never truly happy unless it is loved and played by it's owner. Lol am I sentimental? Maybe.....I do love my guitars though![love]

Archived