Gibson Brands Forums

Which Multi-effects suite me ???

Hi, Im from Malaysia

I start playing guitar few weeks ago, my set up are Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top (HS) and Marshall MG15FX.

I want buy effects pedal, because some K-ON!(Japanese anime) song use it.

My budget RM700(Malaysia currency)...

These are the effects that I have been consider :

1. Zoom G2.1Nu - RM620

2. DigiTech RP255 Multi Effect - RM637

3. VOX Tonelab ST - RM 625

I really don't know how to choose because music really new to me

Thank You :)

I would recommend that you concentrate on learning to play for a while first before worrying about effects. All of the multi-effects pedals you mentioned are good, but they can overwhelm you in the beginning because they have so many combinations of sounds, and you haven't yet evolved your own idea of your sound. It's more important to establish your technique and chord vocabulary before adding the complexity of effects into the mix. A good player can do more with just a guitar and amp than a novice player can with a whole array of pedals.

I would recommend that you concentrate on learning to play for a while first before worrying about effects. All of the multi-effects pedals you mentioned are good, but they can overwhelm you in the beginning because they have so many combinations of sounds, and you haven't yet evolved your own idea of your sound. It's more important to establish your technique and chord vocabulary before adding the complexity of effects into the mix. A good player can do more with just a guitar and amp than a novice player can with a whole array of pedals.

^^^ Excellent advice, right there, Parabar ^^^ That's the best answer to your question, at this stage of your learning/playing. Multi-fx units can be handy/useful/fun, but there IS a decently large learning curve involved in tweaking the unit to sound better than the often over-the-top sounding pre-loaded settings - this can be frustrating, especially to a new player - concentrate on learning and playing, and the only one who can answer which unit suits you best is you - demo all of the pedals at a store, and pick whichever you like....... I've only had experience with a couple Digitech units, but am sure major brand units are all good enough.....it's just that the learning curve/distraction involved in tweaking them is time better spent practicing/learning, as a new guitarist. Hopefully guitar playing will be a life-long pursuit for you, so take your time and get the basics down first....

Thanks for the reply all :)

I can play few K-ON! songs already, some of the song I can't get the correct tone, my friend said it use effect pedal, some of it use wah pedal...So I really need the multi-fx...

*sorry for my bad English :)

Guest Farnsbarns Wunterslausche

If you have been playing for a few weeks you really should take the advice already given. If you are an instant gratification type then any of those you listed will work, it's all about your preference which will be tricky in itself if you've only been playing for a few weeks. After a couple of years chasing instant gratification you're going to have a different idea of tone and you'll probably end up replacing what ever you buy now anyway.

Archived